PDA

View Full Version : downgrade from B737 to ATR

mrx111
14th Oct 2008, 18:39
Is here anyone, who was flying B737 and ATR? I need some advice about that. I've job as F/O on B737 and about 400hrs on type. My current employer is small charter airline and I can go to much larger company, operating only scheduled service, with better salary and much more benefits, but they have strong seniority system and It's not possible to go directly on B737 there. Can anybody tell me, how much different is to fly ATR instead B737?

airman13
14th Oct 2008, 21:54
jets are for kids ....

inner
15th Oct 2008, 08:06
I don't see why it is a downgrade. I think you should consider the whole package instead of only the aircraft. Afterall, it is just an aircraft.

good luck anyway

saucy jack
15th Oct 2008, 09:19
Of course it is just an aircraft, but it has capabilities which you could not even conceive in a 737.

It'll put the fun and the skill back into your flying. Try it and see if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't swap mine for a 737.

bear11
15th Oct 2008, 10:15
Take the job, don't fool yourself that there are a lot of options around Europe at the minute with winter ahead, airlines dying, and others offering long-term unpaid leave. Any flying job is a good one at your stage of career to get hours and experience up - flying turboprops will do you no harm at all. Get as many hours on the 73 as you can before you change types, and try to keep the 737 rating current to keep your options open

Vortex Thing
16th Oct 2008, 02:12
Wait until you have 500hrs on type so you can come back easily you will be surprised the difference that those last 100hrs have when you start talking to agencies should your airline go under.

Check DGAC, Malaysian, Indian and other requirements for flying on a validation in their countries and you will see what I mean.

When you have 500hrs take the best job on offer forget about the pay take stability as in the long run if you have a lower paid secure job you may have slightly less beer tokens and a slightly smaller car or house but at least you will not have to sell them when you are unemployed.

Good luck

Crashlanding
17th Oct 2008, 12:53
I have to agree with the rest, take stabilty over pay.

I have an ATR42/72 rating, but i do know at the moment that most companys that operate the ATR only need captains at the moment as many places are over stocked with FO's especially since many are not leaving for jet jobs since the economic climate and the big influx of pilots back on the market due to the recent collapses.

As for flying the ATR, we can do things you cannot do in the 737, like stay at 180 knotts and then cut power, props to max and we are slowing down very nicely for an approach.

You will also get to fly in and out of more weather since the ice bucket is always in the weather level :)

Anyway ive rambled enough.

stansdead
17th Oct 2008, 13:34
Are you concerned (seriously) that your current employer may go bust? Or may make you redundant?

If so, take stability.

If not, stay on B737.

saucy jack
17th Oct 2008, 15:14
Bear in mind also that the opportunity to move from FO to Captain often arises much more quickly on a turboprop fleet...perhaps quite soon after the issue of the full ATPL if you are up to the job. This might be an additional factor which you wish to consider because then you really will be in demand, and with salary to match.

I believe many mixed prop/jet companies use the position of t/prop captain as a stepping stone to jet FO, with the bonus that by then you would have invaluable multi-crew turbine P1 time in your log book for a "rainy day" as well as hands-on experience of what the captain's job involves.

Looked at on this basis it's not really a downgrade....more a chance for a quick upgrade.

mrx111
17th Oct 2008, 18:42
Maybe, it's a good chance for quick upgrade from F/O to Captain, but how should this help me to fly large jet like B744, or B777 in future? For example, would be better to have a few thousands hrs as F/O on B737, or similar time on turbo prop with possible command hrs?

IrishJetdriver
17th Oct 2008, 19:03
Flying TP is not a downgrade. I went from a jet FO position to TP (DHC8) FO due aircraft reduction at base. I really didn't want to do it but had no real sensible choice. Guess what ? I thought it was great ! You could do things you couldn't with a jet. Loads of good experience with weather and fun handling.

I understand the ATR is a good machine.

If job security is the issue, then as others have said, grab the ATR with both hands and don't let go.

I guess you have to work 3 months notice so you should get the 500hrs plus the TR is good for 5 years anyway. Do bear in mind that the 500hrs is not so important for your new employer...what they will like is the fact that you have the 737 TR so when you do slide across you will be an accountants dream.

Good luck, and stop thinking it's a downgrade. You'll be better for the experience. I was.

empati
17th Oct 2008, 19:09
The ATR has similar EFIS to the Classic. The overhead panel you will find easier in use. MCP panel is easy. Control pressure on the yoke is about the same. Rudder pressure on single engine about the same. Just as stable to fly. Easier ground school, even though the ATR is a lightyear ahead in technology. Sounds and warnings in the cockpit is similar to Airbus- you will find them nice, compared to 737. The QRH is MUCH better in the ATR. If you are lucky to fly the -500 model, you'll have plenty of power as well. I think you will find the "downgrade" easy and enjoyable! Good luck!

Empati 3000h ATR 7000h B737

empati
17th Oct 2008, 20:07
www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6382857

hoover1
18th Oct 2008, 19:44
i have flown the atr and now currently fly the 737. the 737 is better since it is jet and you can climb out of the wx. i know that there is a big demand for atr captians all over and most of them pay the same as a 737 position. the atr is small and light so there isn't as much momentum controll as the 737. with the atr you should be able to kepp it a t 250 until 4 miles out and easily make the required speeds by 500 ft. anything less is lame and you do not know how to fly a turboprop. that is the only main advantage. as far as fun to fly. the 737 is much better. the atr is lame because they procedure to death a very easy plane to fly. my grandma can fly it. it is very hard to mess up and get behind the plane thus requiring no skill just an ability to memorize procedures. the 737 also hand flys better. for some reason the atr seems to be bulit to use the auto pilot.

I would agree to get 500 hrs in the 737 first then move on. the atr is fine but it gets old very fast for someone who has some skill and would like to show it.