PDA

View Full Version : what is the minimum license you need to get a job?

nisbeat
14th Oct 2008, 13:46
If I want to work my way to my cpl is there any way I can get a pilot job getting there with a smaller license such as ppl?
as spending £80.000 in one go is quite alot considering I have just left school.

Many thanks

Johnny F@rt Pants
14th Oct 2008, 13:51
In a couple of words - not legally:=.

You need a Commercial Pilot's Licence to be able to work and be paid as a pilot, a PPL is purely a licence to allow yourself to hire/own an aeroplane for a leisure purpose.

Good try though:D.

nisbeat
14th Oct 2008, 13:55
Ha Sorry I didn't try sounding sneaky.
How much does the training and exams cost in average to reach to the CPL level

bucket_and_spade
14th Oct 2008, 13:57
The problem is that you need a CPL in order to be paid to fly - technically you can only accept money for flying on a PPL if you also pay at least your share of the flying cost i.e. if it costs £300 in total to operate an aircraft for a couple of hours with two passengers onboard, you could legally accept £100 from both of them. Of course, you don't make any money because it cost you £300 to fly it in the first place, it's simply cost-sharing!

I suppose you could maybe do some voluntary flying if you can find it - this would get you free flying and would also build the hours. Not sure how easy it would be to get though...glider-towing maybe?

There's probably innovative ways of doing it if you're clever about it!

BelArgUSA
14th Oct 2008, 14:10
Nisbeat -
xxx
The CPL is required to be paid as a pilot.
In Belgium, there still might be the "Licence de Pilote Professionel Restreinte".
It is the CPL flight test, 200-250 hrs TT, but NO CPL WRITTEN.
Valid for flights within Belgium only, VFR flights, single engine airplanes.
When outside of Belgium, that licence reverts to PPL privileges only.
xxx
In the USA and other countries, you can be an aircraft salesman with a PPL...
Sell Cessna or Piper airplanes, and fly demonstration flights with potential customers.
xxx
Sorry to say, but finding a flying job without CPL+IR+ME is quasi impossible.
And nowadays, a first job might only be flight instructor, so you need that too.
xxx
Bonne chance à toi
:)
Happy contrails

brownstar
14th Oct 2008, 15:05
As a pilot of 20 years my advice is - save your money! go into a different profession.
There are too many people joining this profession with the idea of big bucks and secure jobs, good pensions etc, - instead what you get is overworked underpaid, no permenant job no pension, live your life from a suitcase, and a constant erosion of terms and conditions.and a 100,000 euro debt.!!!!
if you could have started flying at the same time as me you would see that there is a complete change of situation between then and now. back then i would have said go for it but now i would say walk away.
if you have your mind on set on flying - do it as a hobby! and find a job that will allow you to afford it.
Good luck!

if you have your mind set on your cpl then nothing i will say will change your mind, but beware the vipers ready to take your money with false promises.

pppants
14th Oct 2008, 15:25
Another UK Industry First

Yet another innovation will see us rolling out the first ever Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) course for a UK registered airline. A real industry first in the UK, the new licence type is designed to train candidates from scratch to become an airline pilot on a specified type – which for Flybe, will be the Q400.

The course will be a big step in addressing the quality of training airline pilots receive. It is designed to train in a dedicated multi-crew environment and will include systems management, core skills, threat error management and crew resource management.

The current licence course for the CPL/IR follows a route where individuals become commercial aircraft pilots on light aircraft and only then are converted into a type-rated Q400 pilot. By introducing the new MPL, pilots will be fully trained to work for Flybe more quickly without any diminution of quality.

When writing on his blog, much-respected Flight International journalist David Learmount reported on the move and described Flybe as a ‘ray of sunshine in an almost universally gloomy air transport industry’.

The MPL, run in partnership with Jerez, a Spanish based Flight Training Europe company, is hoped to be introduced in February 2009

airborne_artist
14th Oct 2008, 15:30
The MPL, run in partnership with Jerez, a Spanish based Flight Training Europe company, is hoped to be introduced in February 2009Remind us how use it will be if the person gets "let go" when the airline starts reducing headcount?

Vortex Thing
16th Oct 2008, 02:04
Seems like a great idea, introduce a new licence giving the holder little ability to understand GA, less ability to understand airmanship and no ability to understand what everyone else had to go through to get a job in the 'old market'.

This will of course be especially useful as there not hundreds maybe even thousands or so of unemployed fATPLs out there who are already ready to type rate and willing to accept any Ts&Cs!

The main advantage I can see is in the amount the big schools can charge in their courses compared to the amount they pay in fleet vs. sim upkeep. Looks like the big schools stand to make an even huger profit and the airlines stand to loose in the long run when in 15 years time they have no captains who ever flew anything other than a sim in their CPL training and when the electrics all go have no clue what to do with the standby instruments that they use once a year in their OPC.

Final rwy 27L 3 greens

Tyreplug
16th Oct 2008, 13:48
Watt planet are they on coming up with this MPL? Sounds to me like a 'dumming down'. Watt a great idea! How about teaching assistants taking classes instead of properly qualified teachers - or community police officers replacing the pointy hat real ones - or perhaps doctors going straight into GP surgeries without having to experience work in hospital departments ETC ETC. Ummm... wouldn't be something to do with saving money would it?

INNflight
16th Oct 2008, 14:03
I don't think it is an industry first, is it?

I recall seeing a thread about Sterling Airlines (DK) who had a few crews on line training or already flying or whatever with "MPL" licenses.

Guess what?

They laid them off because they had to cut costs!!!

With a MPL you hold nothing most of all the other airlines would accept, so good luck spending money on your CPL IFR ATPLs after your "MPL" hit you hard on the head :sad:

no sponsor
16th Oct 2008, 14:14
I worry about the MPL not providing a pilot with the basic awareness of how to manually fly an aircraft, and the lack of airmanship skills built up when you learn to fly and certainly when you fly solo. In my own experience, you always know and feel when you are sat in a Level-D simulator. In all my sim checks, I was never under any illusion that I was actually flying a 737.

MPLs are just another step in devaluing the profession. It is a cheaper way to train an airline pilot, and it won't give him the same skills. Everybody is lulled into the safety net provided by modern airliners.

When I take out the automatics in a 737, and decide to fly it completely manually (which I do every now and then) it is just a cessna, or a piper or a duchess; it's just an aircraft and flies like one.

The MPL is all cracked up to be about multi-crew awareness, but it was an aspect of flying which was much easier to assimilate on my MCC, type rating and line-flying when compared the time it took to master the skills of flying. I think it is an over-stated element of the MPL.