PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Engineering is on the prowl for AMEs

another superlame
14th Oct 2008, 03:16
Wow wonders will never cease. I reckon CASA finally found there balls and has told QF enough is enough.
This would be the first time in 6-7 years that they have employed. My guess is they will struggle to find experienced people due to the fact that QF have screwed the majority of them in the past.

Also heard that they are 2 years behind in the OSIP work, which I find hard to believe as management keep saying everything is fine.

Time will tell all.

Metal Fatigued
14th Oct 2008, 05:52
Hmmm, don't think I would consider another career with QANTAS as they will never be the company they were when I was there in the mid 80's.......I know showing my age. Then you were once proud to call yourself a QANTAS AME/LAME, and your training, skills and reputation were respected by airlines around the globe. Don't think QF management give a toss anymore about R E P U T A T I O N.

:ugh:

QF MAINT OUTSOURCED
14th Oct 2008, 06:36
they will not be able to get LAME's let alone AME's,who would ever want to work for an outfit like that.........NO FUTURE

hadagutfull
14th Oct 2008, 06:51
2 years behind ha???
Could that be due to HM closed??
could that be due to Lean Smegma??
Could that be due to the amount of people that were made redundant?
Could that be to all the red tape that M introduced??

So whats the fix.... more AMEs?? . Still need the LAMES to supervise. Why not train up the current workforce to be able to better utilize them.
OOPS.. thats a cost!!!
How many lames would have been trained for the pay rise GD just got??
ouch.

satos
14th Oct 2008, 08:29
As I understand it,these will be full time positions in Qantas heavy Mel.Does anyone here know how many ame/lame's they will be hiring and when do they want them to start.

Capt Wally
14th Oct 2008, 09:52
'MF' I think yr statement .........."Then you were once proud to call yourself a QANTAS AME/LAME, and your training, skills and reputation were respected by airlines around the globe"............ was spot on:ok:

A good long time friend of mine whose son I took for his first plane ride when he was around 7 yrs of age (around 22+ yrs ago now) for as long as I could remember afterwards he wanted to work for QF, kids only ever knew of great airlines like QF & Ansett many years ago. He always used to say QF this QF that, back then it was indeed a well respected airline. He did finally join QF many years latter as an engineer. He started with that belief that his dream had come true after all those years. 10 years down the track with QF that kid who had stars in his eyes about QF left in recent times & took up flying, he no longer talks about QF & for good reason. The fire went out in his eyes, I first saw that when he was a child, I now see a bitter & twisted man towards QF. QF actually indirectly did this kid/man a favour, he now has that fire back in his eyes with flying & instructing.
'Tricky Dicky' has not only taken the stars out of kids eyes he's taken away hope for those that he has left behind, I only hope that the current QF employees are stronger than he is.

BrissySparkyCoit
14th Oct 2008, 11:51
Well, good to see Melbourne is actively recruiting FULL TIMERS. Wish I could say the same for our outfit.

Those of you in Brissy Heavy will be able to work out who I am. I've been around in QF 15 years or so but if I were looking for a new job as an AME would QF be the right career move?

As each week goes by, we see more and more contractors coming through the door. We are told that prospective full timers are being interviewed but where are they?

Talking with the contractors, you can understand why we see very few full timers.

If you had to choose between the pathetic rate of around $20 an hour (entry level 7 AME) as a full timer, or $35+ an hour as a contractor with Hyundai Elantra rental car, petrol and accommodation in a very nice near new unit at Nundah provided, which would you choose?

Additionally, there is a lack of career path. Join QF as an AME on around $20 and work your way up to $23.96 an hour as a level 12 (that is, if you are lucky enough to get a level 12 quota position!). Then where do you go?

Joining QF engineering is an extremely unattractive proposition when companies such as ALG, Bermil and JHAS are offering so much more.

Perhaps this is the way QF want things? Perhaps their mission is to get rid of the AME's through attrition and replace them with contractors? (Avalon all over again, and gee, aren't things going smoothly down there! :ugh:)

QF22
14th Oct 2008, 13:21
I hear Forstaff are coming to S'pore to recruit AMEs, creating lots of interest with the locals. They have been screwed over so hard by SIAEC they figure it's worth a try downunder. I have no idea what Forstaff are offering them.

another superlame
15th Oct 2008, 00:18
satos the advert was for Mascot not Tulla

Metal Fatigued
15th Oct 2008, 01:58
Capt Wally,

It is for that very reason (the downfall of QANTAS' reputation) that I would not recommend my own sons taking on an aviation career with QF Engineering and Maintenance. I left QF around 1990 and went o/seas to Canada where I worked for a few different companies including Rolls Royce affiliated companies and a 7 year stint with Air Canada. My credentials as a QF trained Structures Mechanic opened many doors for me and I had no problem gaining employment and being paid at the top salary level in each company. In fact many of my collegues in Air Canada would often ask how they could get to work for QF in Oz' (QF's reputation was that well respected - globally).

Now I shake my head every time I read a story about QF maintenance woes, knowing full well that the QF managers of late are responsible for the demise of that reputation by cost cutting here and there to satisfy the shareholder to remain "competitive" in the aviation market.

Every airline knows you can't make money doing your own maintenance, but at least you can have a comfy feeling knowing that you maintain your own fleet with your own highly skilled and "in-house trained" workforce (as was the case with QF when I was there).

Instead of saving costs by outsourcing maintenance (as QF is doing more of), you grow your MRO by doing "third-party-work", and your reputation as a world leader in a/c maintenance also grows with you, and now you A R E C O M P E T I T I V E in the market............its not rocket science.

:ugh::ugh:

satos
15th Oct 2008, 05:37
another superlame satos the advert was for Mascot not Tulla
I got the gossip from one of my friends who works as a lame in mel heavy.He told me they will be starting another line for the 737's and will be looking for full timers shortly to fill those positions but he doesn't know how many they want.

The Original Jetpipe
15th Oct 2008, 11:22
Interesting posts by people!!

Has not stopped me applying!!! Got to better prospects than who I am currently working for!

Has anybody got any idea what there time frame is? as there is no closing date on the application.

regards
TOJP.

another superlame
15th Oct 2008, 18:00
The ad is a bit ambiguous. They are asking for AMEs but with what seems like LAME type qualifications. Are they hedging their bets?

Syd eng
15th Oct 2008, 21:04
I think there is no closing date due top the fact that Sydney Base has asked for 45 AME's. They will never get the numbers, so why put a closing date.

Red Baron
15th Oct 2008, 21:51
All this is happening just as the 'Metals' Unions start their EBA VIII negotiating with QF. Now from what I've heard up here in Bris Vegas the sky is already falling with QF crying about the 'Global Market' being in damage control, they can not help them selves can they! :=

Every QF employee has heard it all before, Bird Flu, SARS, Oil Prices, War in Iraq blah blah blah :ugh:, I feel for you guys. These so called risks or drivers didn't have any affect on GD's remuneration did it now? What was it again, 11.92 MILLION. :D

Clipped
16th Oct 2008, 03:46
Perhaps this is the way QF want things? Perhaps their mission is to get rid of the AME's through attrition and replace them with contractors?

Yep!

It's called disbanding of the 'legacy'.

The Original Jetpipe
16th Oct 2008, 05:30
45 positions!!! at least i might get an interview!

Heard a "rumour" that it was only part time casual 2 year contract? BUT it does not say anything about that in the advert?

Anyone got anymore info?

TOJP

another superlame
16th Oct 2008, 08:30
45 positions. It seems they havent employed enough apprentices in recent years or they went too far when they culled and closed 245.
That is a big number for ACS. I wonder if it is right or just a vicious rumour.
Also the contract thing,that would ruffle a few feathers in Mascot,they have wanted to bring that in for years,

Capt Wally
16th Oct 2008, 11:21
I hear Ford are laying off another 450 poor buggers, & we think that the aviation industry is fragile! How about the auto manufacturing industry, like a QF airliner it's going down fast!

CW

The Mr Fixit
16th Oct 2008, 11:51
This interesting article was posted to me, I wonder if it has any bearing on QF's latest predicament.
FAA faulted for laxness on maintenance outsourcing
Saturday October 4, 7:33 am ET
By Joan Lowy, Associated Press Writer
Investigators: Airlines outsourcing more aircraft maintenance and FAA not keeping close tabs

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Nine U.S. airlines outsourced more than 70 percent of their major aircraft maintenance last year, and federal aviation officials' oversight of repair facilities is lagging, according to a government report. One-fourth of the outsourced maintenance is being handled by contractors overseas.
The Transportation Department's inspector general said the outsourcing, which has more than doubled in four years, was of concern because the Federal Aviation Administration has failed to closely track how much maintenance is farmed out and where it is performed.
Although the FAA has taken steps to improve, "the agency still faces challenges in determining where the most critical maintenance occurs and ensuring sufficient oversight," investigators said in the report issued this week.
In their effort to lower costs, the report said, airlines continue to shift their heavy airframe maintenance from their own in-house mechanics and engineers to hundreds of repair companies in the United States, Canada, Mexico and countries in Central America and Asia.
Nine major airlines examined by the inspector general outsourced 71 percent of their heavy air frame maintenance -- repairs and servicing to an aircraft's body, wings and tail -- in 2007, up from 34 percent in 2003. More than a quarter of that maintenance -- 27 percent -- was performed at foreign repair facilities.
The airlines examined in the report were AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, America West Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and United Airlines. American Airlines, the nation's largest domestic carrier, was not included, the inspector general said, because it handles most maintenance in-house.
The FAA relies heavily on the airlines -- and the repair facilities themselves -- to make sure outsourced repairs meet the air safety standards and requirements of the individual airlines.
FAA requires each repair station to undergo a government inspection at least once a year, FAA spokesman Les Dorr said. The report says those inspections often are not being conducted by agency inspectors most familiar with standards and requirements of the airline whose planes are being repaired.
As much as five years lapsed between visits to some major maintenance facilities by inspectors assigned to individual airlines. Inspectors not assigned to a specific airline may not be familiar with the special maintenance requirements of that airline's planes, which are often customized.
The report cited a foreign facility, which repairs engines for an unidentified airline, that had not been inspected by an FAA inspector assigned to that airline in five years, a period in which the facility had repaired 39 of the air carrier's engines.
The report recommends FAA require airlines to provide more complete information on the extent and location of outsourced repairs, ensure air carriers and repair stations are better able to spot and correct problems, and improve the documentation of inspection results.
The FAA agreed it needs to do more. "We actually concur with all the inspector general's recommendations," Dorr said. "We have procedures in place that already address some of the recommendations, and we have some projects in progress that address others."
One safety expert, however, said the report underscores that FAA still has a long way to go toward resolving the outsourcing issue, which has been source of controversy for the agency for several years.
"What this report tells me is there is still a big problem with oversight -- the FAA is not verifying that the oversight being provided by the air carriers is doing the job it's supposed to," said John Goglia, a former member of the National Transportation Safety Board.

Metal Fatigued
16th Oct 2008, 22:45
Mr Fixit

When I worked for Air Canada from 1998 to 2003, we did America West Airlines (AWA) heavy maintenance on their A320's. At that time, AWA had 16 different MRO's doing heavy maintenance on their fleet of aircraft. The FAA advised them to reduce that number significantly, to a manageable figure. We also did JetBlue, Skyservice and Air Jamaica A319/320/321's. The fact is airlines can make a healthy buck by doing third party maintenance, whilst outsourcing their own.

Air Canada used to charge AWA more than USD$75 per man hour for maintenance at that time and pay us around CAD$35 - $40 per hr (top rate). It adds up pretty quick when you calculate that on an average of 30,000 man hrs for an A320 D Check. All airlines are doing tha same, as is evident in your post.

Its sad really.

Bootstrap1
17th Oct 2008, 05:45
Hi all I am new to this forum so please go easy on me.

I have watched this post pop up and want to know is Qantas engineering getting better, would it be worth my while to try and jump on board with stars in my eyes with the prospect of becoming a wide body LAME or will that be beaten out of me in no time.

Having been told that if I joined Cathay in Sydney ,dont even think about becoming licenced with them because it wont happen.

I would like a long future in aviation are these Qantas AME jobs the way to go?

Ultralights
17th Oct 2008, 08:16
BAE a still desperate for AME,s a lot better pay, and no shift work! not to mention Government Military work, which means a lot better security. why would i ever go back to QF!

Redstone
17th Oct 2008, 08:20
Metal Fatigued, sadly yes, it seems everyone is doing everyone elses washing but their own. BAE in Nowra, I am told, will be looking for AME's for the seahawks pretty soon as well, much better rate of pay than Q.

Bootstrap1
17th Oct 2008, 11:25
Redstone what is the difference in pay rates between BAE and QF? is it a significant amount.

What other work do BAE do?

satos
18th Oct 2008, 06:12
Hey,has anyone got an update when Qantas is going to advertise for the tullamarine heavy maintenance base melbourne.

Ngineer
18th Oct 2008, 06:52
I have watched this post pop up and want to know is Qantas engineering getting better, would it be worth my while to try and jump on board with stars in my eyes with the prospect of becoming a wide body LAME or will that be beaten out of me in no time.

I am sure that the current QF management would like to model their workforce on another MRO, that has 1 or 2 LAME's running around "supervising" :rolleyes: many many employees. (I use the term "supervising" in jest, and the word employee's rather than AMEs). They even had the nerve to tell our AME's that they had reached the pinnacle of their career. This concept, however, is totally illegal and does not work. We are slowly starting to see a turn around with a handfull of AME's starting to get trained, and this type of management being shown the door (sloooowly).

Although I believe Qantas is/was a world leader in avaition engineering, if you want a fast track to being a LAME you might be better off with another organisation who recognises the need to invest into training their employees at present. I have seen friends recently leave QF with no training over many years, and suddenly be trained on 2 types over 10 months with other organisations (eg Emirates). However they were LAME's when they switched. I don't know how you would go joining as an AME.

Put simply mate, Qantas is not the employer it was years ago when there were many LAME's, alot of training, Heavy maint was in Sydney, and our safety record was unquestionable. Maybe this may change if you are willing to jump on board and wait around.

Either way, you sound like you have the motivation to be a good LAME. Best of luck.

Bootstrap1
18th Oct 2008, 23:16
Thanks for the insight Ngineer. I have put my application in so if I am successful I can make a more informed decision in the future.

Surely though QF must need to invest and expand it maintenance with all the dramas of late and also the arrival of quite a few aircraft in the coming years.

Ngineer
19th Oct 2008, 03:04
Yes, common sense would say more aircraft = more training. However we are currently being led buy guys of no maint experience who think that new aircraft fix themselves. (I am not kidding, they have actually stood infront of us and told us this).

It is now apparent that the A380 is a very labor intensive aircraft. They also banned all engineers participating in the A380 famil training whilst it was running. The majority of this training went to people that will probably never set foot on one, except to look around or to travel. The result is that most LAME's have no clue on the bare essentials such as connecting ground power, aircond, even a headset jack.

I hope this bulls*!t blows over by the time you are wearing the uniform. Best of luck anyhow.:ok:

another superlame
20th Oct 2008, 09:47
And now they are recruiting 737ng/767 LAMEs for for short term casual employment. Just when I thought I could apply and I read that it wont be full time.Bugger me.

Does anyone have any info about these positions or the AME jobs, like when do they need them filled and how many positions are available?

Also I noticed they arent asking for 400 ratings any clue why this is, I would have thought there were a few of these waiting to come back as well.

Ultralights
21st Oct 2008, 06:35
Im employed as an AME quiv at BAE, currently in Nowra, last Fin year just over $70K but that was with an average amount of overtime.
base ame wage is about $27.60 an hour. working a 4 day week, Monday to Thursday. 38 hr week. which leaves friday for overtime if you so desire,
normal extras are 15 days sick leave, 15 days annual. yearly performance bonuses of up to $4000, on top of an average pay increase of 4% per year for the past 5 yrs. if you want more annual leave, then work fridays for time in Lieu, every time you work overtime, you choose if you want it as leave or cash..

as said before, we are desperately short of staff.

PM me and i can give your details to HR.

employes perspective
21st Oct 2008, 19:57
come on ultra Qantas are offering half that with 3% pa and no carrer path,you will have to do better than that:}:}:}:}:}:}DON'T YOU KNOW WHO THEY ARE,THERE QANTAS

im sparticus
22nd Oct 2008, 03:00
has anyone who have applied heard back from Q yet, or does anyone know when they will be contacting people? I had an email telling me my application had been considered and that they would contact me after the closing date but theres no closing date on the advert??

Bootstrap1
22nd Oct 2008, 03:06
I have only had the automated email response as well. It is all open and with no way of contacting anyone for the slightest bit of information.
I don't know why there is no closing date, not very professional I think.

Does anyone have any inside info about these jobs. Also I see they want casual LAMEs with 747-800 licences. They are way ahead of there time.

When do they want people to start, will it be before or after the new year, I hope they don't drag it out forever.

Syd eng
22nd Oct 2008, 04:23
Interviews started in Sydney yesterday for ACS jobs.

Bootstrap1
22nd Oct 2008, 04:29
Syd Eng is that for the external positions or internally advertised positions

The Original Jetpipe
22nd Oct 2008, 06:46
Hi All,

Also after some more info? Had the usual email reply, saying my application has been accepted. But whats next?

Syd Eng - What are the ACS jobs they are currently interviewing for?

Syd eng
23rd Oct 2008, 00:05
Only heard it was interviews not sure if they were external or internal. The interviews were for ACS Base Maint. Jobs.

The Original Jetpipe
23rd Oct 2008, 10:27
Must be my brain!!!! But what does ACS stand for? I am guessing its just a waiting game? Anyone know how to speed the process up? Phone numbers/people to meet?

MR WOBBLES
23rd Oct 2008, 22:10
speed up the process,good luck this is qf expect nothing soon may be at least 6 weeks

mutorcs
23rd Oct 2008, 23:58
ACS stands for Aircraft Customer Services.However since CASA has had a good look at QF engineering they have recommended to drop the customer name and concentrate on Maintenance

another superlame
24th Oct 2008, 01:41
I had a call out of the blue form T.D in ACS to tell me about the casual LAME spots. I was surprised by this I didn't know they were into cold calling old employees.

All I was told it 9-12 months duration minimum 30hrs a week in base servicing. I wanted to know if permanent work could come out of it but I already knew the answer. He said possible but not sure. So typical of QF to have an each way bet.

Can anyone shed some more light on these spots

hi-speed tape
24th Oct 2008, 06:49
Don't even deal with Qantas. It's just not worth the hassel !

Short_Circuit
24th Oct 2008, 07:32
It would not surprise me if QE were offering $100,000.00 p/a for temp AME's in Base.

Bend me over one more time.:}

employes perspective
24th Oct 2008, 11:40
those arse%$#@ can offer me $200,000- p/a,that still will not get me back there.they have burnt this bridge

Bootstrap1
26th Oct 2008, 22:11
Thanks for the tips, but I have already applied but I have yet to recieve a reply from them to tell me anything, I hope this is not a bad sign. Also I wish they has a closing date on the job.

Clipped
26th Oct 2008, 23:19
BS

There is the 'appearance' of organised structure in QE. Very little of it is effective. This has been our squabble with the company for so long - no one up there has the faintest.

You have been warned, QE is not what it used to be. Obviously brand power has convinced you otherwise.

The Original Jetpipe
28th Oct 2008, 04:15
Having applied also, ( And heard nothing :0) Does anybody have information on what type of shift they are working? Is it 4x4 off or purely days?

Do you think they will look for "new blood" or rely on the "old" Qantas people returning? From rumors it sound like they want a fresh start!

Syd eng
28th Oct 2008, 04:42
Base Maint roster is 2 days 2 nights then 5 days off. There is also a 2pm to 2am shift in there as well.

another superlame
28th Oct 2008, 06:54
Jetpipe

What rumours have you heard regarding they would like a fresh start.
I got shafted from heavy maintenance in 2005 and I know that myself and a few other ex HM colleagues have been called by QF to "let us know that positions are available". Doesnt sond to fresh to me

employes perspective
28th Oct 2008, 18:58
a fresh start as in,you don't know anything in the way how badly we can treat you as a new employee or how badly we really pay( or is it there's no way we will be able to get back former employees,as none are that dumb),is that what you mean by fresh start:ok:

The Original Jetpipe
29th Oct 2008, 04:27
Like stated.... it was only a rumor!!! Came from a contact "up north"

Have to agree would be very strange not to try and employ "old" staff as they know the aircraft/systems, work place etc.

Is there any truth in a previous thread that qantas have place a just put a recruitment freeze in to affect?

# over 20 days since my application went in and still no news!!!

worry-wort
29th Oct 2008, 05:13
Hiring freeze has been in for a while but all new recruitment requests have to be approved by CEO and CFO.

These latest jobs for permanent AME's and casual LAME's have been approved by them.

As far as I am aware the applications are still open which explains why you have not heard anything yet.

Knowing QF, you could be waiting a while.

another superlame
29th Oct 2008, 07:38
I don't think they have a full employment freeze on. There careers website tell a different story. This is the most employing they have done in 7-10 years I reckon.

CASA must have really ruffled some feathers for this to happen

Talkwrench
29th Oct 2008, 11:33
Bootstrap and Jetpipe, I don't mean to hose down your enthusiasm, but as an employee of QE for quite a few years now, I have a simple mantra that you will do well to adopt should you get a start with QE: "No Expectation, No Disappointment". Further, I would add that first impressions are a fairly good indicator of what can be expected later on. Keep that in mind as you experience the extended joy of the QE recruitment process...

The Original Jetpipe
30th Oct 2008, 04:11
Talkwench - Thankyou for your concern, I have never taken a job without my eyes being wide open to how an company works!

I just wish they would hurry up and make some decisions!! as to when there might start employing people! As I would like to move forward and not be stuck where I currently am!

QF22
30th Oct 2008, 05:52
Sorry, but get used to being screwed around by QF HR !

QF MAINT OUTSOURCED
30th Oct 2008, 06:46
looks like if you get the job JETPIPE,you will be stuck again,only this time it will be in a Googee Bay gelato

another superlame
1st Nov 2008, 05:15
Still nothing on the job front. They are moving at the standard QF lightning speed.

It always surprises me that when a company advertises for staff it is because they need the extra manpower, so you would think they would hope to fill the spots in a short period of time. Why is it QF engineering can take up to 6 months to employ from the time if advertising.

Jethro Gibbs
1st Nov 2008, 08:15
why so long for reply its so the hr department can make out they have a really hard job then when they get off there backsides and call people 6 months later they seem pissed off that applicants have moved on with there life and are no longer intrested due to complete lack a of timely reply.
then they will bitch that they can,t find staff.

Bootstrap1
5th Nov 2008, 07:00
I wish QF would hurry up and get in touch the suspense is killing me. The AME spots must have closed now as the ad has been taken off the careers website. But it still didn't have a closing date.

Jethro Gibbs
5th Nov 2008, 07:58
the way they operate you more than likley will not even get an answer that they got your application no matter how quick you got it in.
don,t hold your breath for any reply.

Quill Shaft
6th Nov 2008, 07:05
then they will bitch that they can,t find staff.

Yeah, and then will say they need to use 457 visa workers from o/seas.
Rumor has it that they may have already looked at this option.

Clipped
6th Nov 2008, 08:11
QS

Spot on Quill. My thoughts exactly.

Whinge to gov't bodies 'We can't get Aussies to join us', 'We're burdened with too much work' etc etc. 'We NEED foreign labour'.

And the gates are opened - Filipinos, Chinese, Malaysians - there are lots of them out there and Qantas already has MRO relationships in their countries.

Careful what you wish for!

domo
6th Nov 2008, 18:25
Interviews start next week
( Iv since been told this statement is WRONG sorry for misleading you I thought it was from a good source)

The Original Jetpipe
8th Nov 2008, 03:05
Have to agree with bootstrap1, when will something happen? their are other jobs that i wish to apply fore but "holding off" until I get some feedback from Qantas.

I heard that they have finished the internal interview process, and are looking for 35 people. (that does not include the casual LAMES)

Can anyone offer and advice as to when things might happen?

P.s Needabig hammer.... I think you have been fed a good line!!! From rumours VB there has only been 2 people apply for the night duties, the hangar in SYD is not even on the future plans! and where would it be built! Do not belive everything you hear from TJ.

thosecotos
8th Nov 2008, 10:35
Clarity via dissection

No need to wear armour on your back at DJ.. We love working here and natural progression up the ladder is on merit not on back stabbing, grovelling and *** licking

What the? Mood is very uncertain and backstabbing rampant. Natural progression here is "come with the licences we need, start as AME, and one day we might pay you as LAME if needed".

Yes it starts off as perm night shift but we are going to be going 24/7 very soon

Stays that way too. Needabiggerhammer obviously not listening to the Gate Maintenance Model being proposed for implementation (either that or he is part of the proposal spruiking and feeding pruners a line). Shift changes are coming and for most it will be onto PNS, not off it

Give the Red Rat the flick guys....Money is better and the atmosphere is 100 tmes better.. 2 huge free piss ups every year.. Tons of free stuff given away every year.. Staff Travel is not based on who you are...

No arguments there - as bad as it can be the atmosphere is actually more like 1000% better than QF, and no demarcation or status crap.

New hangar starting to be built in SYD as well.... AME's are going to get a huge pay increase in the new year that will be outside the current pay negotiations

No steam rollers in yet, and how many times have we all heard "you're gunna get huge payrise...soon"

I like it here, it is a good place to work overall. But ease up hammer or you'll make a few of us sick

Me thinks this is all a cheap advertisement for prospective AME starters?

im sparticus
8th Nov 2008, 23:27
bootstrap and the original jetpipe,

I recieved a call from HR on thursday to get afew particulars, from what i gathered they havent started interviews yet and are still going through the applications, from the questions she was asking it sounded like they had afew positions available in other sections aswell not just base maint.

My only guess for them taking so long is that they have alot of positions to fill and they wouldnt want to be progressing and interviewing people in drips and drabs. the fact that they have taken down the ad probably means they now have the numbers and things can move forward.

needabiggerhammer,
Why dont you stop thread hijacking and go start your own :

"DJ on the prowl for AME's..... Infact we are so desperate well take anyone even ex philippine airline papershufflers with ZERO A/C experiance you dont even need a trade qualification or tools well have you out roaming the line on your own in just afew short weeks even our line office admins are working on the planes (you wont get that sort of progression at Qantas).........Things are great hear we get 70 applications (many of whome have to apply to x amount of jobs per month to justify there rock and roll payments) we have no idea why 3 of the last 8 AME's we hired 3 months ago have resigned, but attrition is good for the company, did I mension we are on the brink of insolvency and a small regional airline with the worst pay conditions in australian aviation are planning to take us over or at the very least gain voting rights" thread.

another superlame
9th Nov 2008, 10:02
DJ is not all beer and skittles, yes it pays well for LAMEs but the chance of becoming trained inhouse has all but stopped.

The talk of the hangar in Sydney was just Morris Iemma talking out of his bum and getting too excited too quickly. It is not on the agenda.

NeedaBiggerHammer I think you have your head in the clouds or you are in cahoots with your manager.

Anyway any other QF news re employment?

Bootstrap1
9th Nov 2008, 10:15
I got a call on Friday arvo about 5pm regarding the AME spots. Nothing specific, it was like they were testing the waters.3 areas are line, engine and component maintenance. I thought this was a bit peculiar as they were advertised as line jobs.

Haven't been invited for an interview as yet, but they are keen to fill them ASAP, so why drag out the process for so long.

Quill Shaft
9th Nov 2008, 10:52
Engine & Component Maint. jobs;

These positions may also have now eventuated so as to back fill for those who applied internally for the base jobs and are being held back because they cant afford to let anyone else go. They did go internally before going externally (as per union company agreements) so it would make sense.

I'd say that qf got a lot of applicants for the initial base jobs and figure they may be able to redirect some of those desperate enough for a job to eng & comp maint. The question is how much longer these areas will be around for???

There has been some talk about Engine line going on to something like a 4 x 9.5 hour days Mon-Thurs (Fri/Sat/Sun off) then 4 x 9.5 hour arvo's etc: Not sure if that also affects Components Maint.

satos
10th Nov 2008, 05:53
I've mentioned this before,does anyone here know if qantas melbourne heavy will be taking on lames/ames in the not too distant future or was this just a smokescreen to keep casa happy.

Talkwrench
10th Nov 2008, 06:00
I read your last post and have this free advice for your consideration: If you would like to work ON actual aircraft and maybe one day in the future possibly even become a LAME, NEVER EVER EVER EVER TAKE A JOB IN COMPONENT MAINTENANCE. It is worth repeating in case you missed the crux of the message : NEVER, EVER, TAKE A JOB IN COMPONENT MAINTENANCE. You WILL regret it.

another superlame
10th Nov 2008, 06:48
Bootstrap I agree 100% with Talkwrench about not going into component maintenance, it took me quite a fews years to break free from the workshops, and when I finally did get out and become licenced I got made redundant with a couple of hundred other heavy maintenance guys. Thems the breaks I guess.

They should have advertised for AMs or motor mechanics to back fill CM, not fully trade qualified AMEs who have a career in mind.

The Original Jetpipe
10th Nov 2008, 07:20
Have not received any phone call yet!! I am hoping my name is at least on the list, have to agree with the component comments. There is NO WAY i would take a position in those departments! Its the line or base maintenance for me! (If I get that call!!!!)

TOJP.

BBJ flying spanner
11th Nov 2008, 14:51
Hi all i have been reading this post for some time and i must agree with all of you that QF ENG as it was called when i was part of the team was a great place to work and i too had stars in my eyes working in most ports up until 2003. I would be hard pressed to take up a position for 20 something bucks an hour when you can drive a truck in Western Australia for triple that without the study. I must thank QF for spending plus 100k on training on all boeing types and giving me great platform to expand internationally. I would never have looked overseas until the rapid demise of Engineering was obvious. Get out before the ship sinks was one of my sayings at the time.
I recently did a contract job certifying SQ B777 in Perth and i didnt find one happy LAME that was employed by QF. If staff arent happy obviously the product suffers and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to see this product is in serious disarray even without the media attention.
Cheers to all:ok:

K9P
12th Nov 2008, 00:31
Yes, Geoff and co. has done an excellent job of demoralising the staff, pissing off the customer and having the product not present well at all!
Job well done!

The Original Jetpipe
14th Nov 2008, 02:11
And another week has gone by without a phone call!! i am guessing I will be staying with my current "coogee bay ice" company for a while longer yet!!!

Jethro Gibbs
14th Nov 2008, 08:01
there just time wasters move on and don,t waste any more of your life sending applications to this rabble.

600ft-lb
14th Nov 2008, 10:01
Knowing qantas departments... there has been 1 area, Qantas engineering that has approved outside recruitment which has then been initiated, then you'll have another interest group of a higher standing... upper management that will bar any outside employment on a whim because of <insert crisis here>. It happens all the time, things will happen, just not in any sort of reasonable timeframe.. either that or it'll just get lost into oblivion

binrow
14th Nov 2008, 11:42
As a little bit of info for all those waiting, a friend of mine applied to Bris H/m in Feb 07 as a LAME with 737/767/747 and all the engines, was willing to take an AME job to get in. Had good ref's from existing BHM employees including some of the Leading Hands, he made 1 PERSONAL visit where he met both management and H/R in Brisbane, 4 Emailed copyies of his application and numous phonecalls and he is still waiting.

So dont hold your breath as you only exist for Qf suck the life out of you!

The wheel will turn very very slowly

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

employes perspective
14th Nov 2008, 18:40
A 73,74,and 76 License And Still Waiting I Think You Need To Pull Your Head In Jetpipe

The Original Jetpipe
15th Nov 2008, 22:01
To employes perspective.... I think you better re-read your posting!!! RTFQ....At NO time have I said i have 73,74,76 licenses!!! that comment was quoted by binrow, next time please check your facts before posting!! so i will not "pull my head in"

BrissySparkyCoit
16th Nov 2008, 10:16
It's "Licence" boys, we are not in the US and A!

No doubt, out HR manager is "checking with Sydney" before proceeding with your application!

Good luck! We need more full timers with some experience.

employes perspective
16th Nov 2008, 18:08
i was pointing the fact out that binrow has these licences and is still waiting(and his application went in before yours),get a grip.....it will help you to calm down ,the process at the rat is very slow at best.chances are you may not hear back from them for 6 months.i have been there

thosecotos
17th Nov 2008, 04:04
It's "Licence" boys, we are not in the US and A!

Geez don't get me started! Way off topic but you're right it's licence. However an important note, which is so often overlooked, is that once you get one you are 'licensed'.

So I'm glad someone finally brought it up because even the ALAEA spells it wrong on their emblem and in their correspondences (very professional:uhoh:).... annoys the heck out of a pedant like me

another superlame
17th Nov 2008, 08:04
I have had some feedback about the Casual LAME spots. I would prefer a full time gig but I still need to wait for an interview. I shouldn't be putting the cart before the horse.
Anyone else heard about the cas LAME spots. I have asked around all my usual suspects and can't find any one else who has applied.

Bootstrap1
17th Nov 2008, 10:43
I checked the Qantas careers website tonight and found all jobs in all areas are gone, ie, there are no jobs to apply for. I hope that is not an omen for the job I have already applied for. Hopefully they are still going to employ before too long.

numbskull
17th Nov 2008, 19:09
I applied too AS but I wouldn't expect too many others. I'm still undecided whether to accept it even if I do get selected.

Leaving a full time job to take a 6 month casual position with an airline heading into the biggest global downturn since the depression doesn't strike me as the smartest decision I will ever make!! (add to that the almost certain fact that you will never ever be trained on another aircraft type).

FYI they have contacted me twice since I applied. Once to get security forms signed and underway, once to get a copy of my CASA licence and termination date so that they can detirmine my CAR314?? (read and sign) requirements.

another superlame
18th Nov 2008, 05:49
I agree with you numbskull about it being a formality, but you would think they would still move a little quicker. The legacy fleet will be gone by the time they put us on.

thosecotos
18th Nov 2008, 09:53
detirmine my CAR314??

It's CAR 214 .... and dude I truly hope you are questioning this in jest, because if you're a LAME and you don't know what it is pertaining to then I'd suggest a serious brush up on all regulations related to airworthiness and maintenance is required before going anywhere near another aircraft

numbskull
19th Nov 2008, 00:43
Calm down COTOS. I know what it pertains to, I just couldn't remember the number.

The Original Jetpipe
21st Nov 2008, 23:58
So anymore news or rumours??? heard nothing over the last couple of weeks! Guess its just 'sit back, relax and watch this space'

aphexau
22nd Nov 2008, 00:17
i have applied for the 2009 QE AME-mech apprentiship and already "successfully completed" the interview stage and now up to medical clearance. they said once i have completed and submitted the medical (due on the 3rd Dec) then i will hear from them in 2 weeks - with or without a letter of offer.

i am concered about the rate of pay and apparent conditions that have been highlighted here so far. i am currently employed by Qantas as a check-in agent and it seems that the entire business is flopping. Also, my mother who has been a senior flight attendant for almost 20 years, is also starting to doubt her confidence in QF management's ability to make good descisions..

satos
22nd Nov 2008, 14:13
i am concered about the rate of pay and apparent conditions that have been highlighted here so far. i am currently employed by Qantas as a check-in agent
Stick with your current job.You probably would make more money than a Lame in the long term and all without the stress and head aches that come with the job.

employes perspective
22nd Nov 2008, 19:51
satos you are assuming he will one day be given the opportunity to become a LAME,remember AME's have been told they have no chance of becoming licenced for many years if ever,that's why so many are leaving after their apprentiship

SeldomFixit
22nd Nov 2008, 22:52
Origonal Jet Pipe - I love how the Coogee Bay sandwich tag has taken off but out of curiosity, who is the lucky company to have inherited it ? Fond memories of the Coogee Bay when I was SYD based but fortunately long before the latest menu offerings :ok:

another superlame
26th Nov 2008, 05:33
Got a call to go into the joy building next week and bring all my documents and licences etc. Pretty impersonal, as they said any day next week between 1 and 4 pm

aphexau
26th Nov 2008, 14:12
I wouldn't be holding my breath about the 2 weeks notification. Nothing happens quickly at QF, apprentice training included. What does work in your favour is that you already have an ASIC so possibly you won't be waiting for Fed' clearance.

If you are in Sydney, you will not be doing block-release to TAFE as in days gone by, you will be doing full time studies for approximately 9 months, with perhaps a 3 month break in between to work in an EOC section. While doing all your theory in one hit is good for continuity of studies, it very much limits how much you can earn on your already very low wage (no O/T or shift loadings obviously, and its not much better when doing your EOC section unless you work in an area that runs 24/7, many sections do not). Doing TAFE in one hit (apart from your break somewhere in the middle) is hard yakka with an exam usually once a week on average.

One thing I would say about an apprenticeship is that once you are in it's hard for the company to get rid of you during your term as an apprentice, unless you do something incredibly stupid. In the current global financial climate, knowing that you have 4 years of continuous employment with a recognised trade qualification is not an altogether bad thing.

Sorry for the thread drift.

AWBC

Yeah, they told me it was going to be full time tafe for 9 months...I dont mind though. Getting paid to go to school full-time is pretty cool, even if it is crappy money initially. Apparently even though I am a current employee and I have 2 ASIC cards (CASA issued AUS one and a qantas local port one) I still have to go through ID services, and i still have to resign and be re-hired, which effectively resets my start date so i lose all travel benefits etc :(

Im not letting this thread de-rail me from my chosen path at all. Think outside the box: Qantas isnt the ONLY company with an aircraft engineering department. I would almost consider them just a tool for me to gain the qualifications I need to get a job which offers further training and better money (If Qantas havent recognised the engineering shortage by then).

....Checking in passengers, repeating the same dangerous goods questions and boarding times every 30 seconds for 7.5 hours is definitely not an appropriate career-building exersise...Money isnt really that great either.

thosecotos
26th Nov 2008, 14:23
Im not letting this thread de-rail me from my chosen path at all. Think outside the box: Qantas isnt the ONLY company with an aircraft engineering department. I would almost consider them just a tool for me to gain the qualifications I need to get a job which offers further training and better money (If Qantas havent recognised the engineering shortage by then).

Good for you. It's true that there are other airlines and MRO's that provide opportunity for LAME types, particularly those keen to learn and live. Keep an open mind but don't ever think the grass is greener...just different shade of whatever colour you see, which is sometimes really nice anyway.

aphexau
27th Nov 2008, 12:15
AWB_Clerk, sorry if I used the wrong language, I didnt mean to sound like I was directing my entire reply to you...just the first paragraph lol :)

I was however referring to all the other members who are discouraging interested applicants. Sure, you have to really have some passion for aircraft engineering and you gotta love the job. But if the passion is there, give it a go.

As far as I know, Qantas carry the most passengers, operate the most aircraft, and have the most comprehensive commercial maintainence system in place, in Australia. An opportunity to start your career working on large commercial aircraft, instead of tiny reciprocating-engined bug smashers is definitely something other major carriers in Australia dont offer. Plus, do you see Joe Bloggs' Maintainence offering travel benefits? Or access to maintainance software worth millions of dollars a year? These are just one of many points which I used to weigh the good with the bad.

Qantas do have some management/comminication issues, but if you are willing to do things yourself and be proactive then these issues may fix themselves......over time.

Bootstrap1
29th Nov 2008, 06:25
A friend of mine who applied for the AME spots said he got an email saying QF have canned the recruitment of the AMEs.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Has anyone else had the same email?

Short_Circuit
29th Nov 2008, 18:44
QF management probably just realised they have a load of 4th year snorks about to finish up their time and would be ideal candidates for the positions.

crow17
29th Nov 2008, 21:07
I know for a fact that there are only 8 forth year snorks in Sydney(mechanical) and that 2 are likely to leave anyway...doesn't fill a real big hole. There is also a gap of 3 years to the next lot..sad really.

The Original Jetpipe
1st Dec 2008, 07:25
All,

A couple of days ago I had a phone call from Qantas HR, relating to the AME jobs. They wanted me to answer a few questions about the positions. I supplied the answers and they said they would get back to me, if i was to progress futher in the applicaton process.
So I guess something is happening????? But no more information was supplied!

Out of pure interest what does an AME at qantas get paid? (Working a x4 day/night shift pattern).
Regards

employes perspective
1st Dec 2008, 18:00
peanuts jetpipe

hi-speed tape
1st Dec 2008, 20:20
Toj
For info ref pay rates: dnata pay their multi role ramp guys the same as a mid level qf ame. Dnata don't do night shift & have just about unlimited overtime, but no staff travel.

The Original Jetpipe
2nd Dec 2008, 02:21
Thanks for the feedback

But was after some "approx" figures???? just to see if I can afford to take this application to the next level?.

Thanks.

division1
2nd Dec 2008, 02:27
google is your friend, :ugh:.

ENGINEERING AND MAINTENANCE CLASSIFICATIONS (UNLICENSED)

Classification

Min. Rate

Non-aircraft tradesperson

$561.20

Aircraft maintenance engineer (mechanical), grade 1

$574.50

(Avionic) grade 1

$574.50

(Mechanical) grade 1A

$596.60

(Avionic) grade 1A

$596.60

(Mechanical) grade 2

$605.70

(Avionic) grade 2

$605.70

(Mechanical) grade 3

$631.30

(Avionic) grade 3

$631.30

(Mechanical) grade 4

$656.90

(Avionic) grade 4

$656.90

(Avionic) grade 5

$686.80

(Avionic) grade 6

$714.70

Maintenance assistant, level 1

$490.70

Maintenance assistant, level 2

$500.60

Maintenance assistant, level 3

$547.10

Aircraft maintenance trimmer, grade 1

$584.50

Aircraft Maintenance trimmer, grade 2

$605.70

The Original Jetpipe
2nd Dec 2008, 05:03
Thanks for the info!! Must try to use "google" more!

I hope those figures quoted do not include shift pay!!, you would get more at VB-T (if you could get a job there)!

teresa green
2nd Dec 2008, 05:15
I would suggest fellas that you read the Editoral of the Gold Coat Bulletin today (www.goldcoast.com.au (http://www.goldcoast.com.au)) yes it is only a rag, but it reaches a lot of people probably 3/4 of a million, and the remarks about yourselves is derogatory to say the least. I would suggest if you felt so inclined you might want to let them know the truth, about what has happened, and suggest that management requires the bollocking, not you blokes. It gave me the total sh%ts, having spent 49 years up the sharp end, and always enjoying a good relationship with the engineers, that bloody Dixon has a lot to answer for, he has been a freccin disaster.

Syd eng
2nd Dec 2008, 05:36
Those wages are the old AME scheme (circa 2001) Not sure what they are now but they are definitely more than that. also the grading structure has changed.

chksatis
2nd Dec 2008, 05:39
more recent rates of pay.................not including shift which is about 35percent for the base roster which is where the jobs are

AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE ENGINEERS
TABLE 1
AME GRADE

Rate of pay
applicable from the
first pay period
commencing on or
after 1/07/08
Grade1 $ 597.97
Grade2 $ 629.58
Grade3 $ 662.54
Grade4 $ 720.34
Grade5 $ 741.87
Grade6 $ 764.12
Grade7 $ 785.76
Grade8 $ 818.61
Grade9 $ 859.57
Grade10 $ 901.63
Grade11 $ 952.54
Grade12 $ 995.09
Grade13 $ 1,054.50

BrissySparkyCoit
2nd Dec 2008, 11:46
I would suggest fellas that you read the Editoral of the Gold Coat Bulletin today (www.goldcoast.com.au (http://www.goldcoast.com.au/))

Did a fair bit of searching and couldn't find the article you refer to. Any chance of a more accurate link?

The Original Jetpipe
3rd Dec 2008, 08:17
chksatis - Thankyou for posting the most recent pay rates for AME's.

If possible can some one please explain the grading system? I am guessing it has something to do with years of service or maybe qualification held?

Regards

Ultralights
4th Dec 2008, 20:12
wow. im only an ame equivalent, taking home the same as a grade 9 only working 4 days a week!
oh, and that doesnt include the 16.5% pay rise over the next 3 yrs.. :ok:

we are desperate for staff, and some of you want to go back to Qf on that income??

satos
5th Dec 2008, 12:20
AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE ENGINEERS
TABLE 1
AME GRADE

Rate of pay
applicable from the
first pay period
commencing on or
after 1/07/08
Grade1 $ 597.97
Grade2 $ 629.58
Grade3 $ 662.54
Grade4 $ 720.34
Grade5 $ 741.87
Grade6 $ 764.12
Grade7 $ 785.76
Grade8 $ 818.61
Grade9 $ 859.57
Grade10 $ 901.63
Grade11 $ 952.54
Grade12 $ 995.09
Grade13 $ 1,054.50Aren't the higher grades above grade 7 quota based which means that you have got to be selected by qf and is not an automatic progression to the next level.

FlexibleResponse
5th Dec 2008, 13:01
I hope the rates quoted are daily rates and not weekly rates...

wahid
6th Dec 2008, 13:50
I Got job offer to nwork in brisbane hangar, can anyone tell about the work condition there?
the work will be on B767 only.:bored:

BrissySparkyCoit
7th Dec 2008, 10:48
Plan is that A330's will come to Brisbane. Who knows when. Brissy Heavy have done about 4 or 5 737-400 Heavy checks as well as some minor 747-400 checks.

At present, pretty much only 767 HM checks.

If you plan on becoming a LAME, hope you are a very patient man!

another superlame
16th Dec 2008, 06:50
What is the latest? Does anyone have any news or info about this employment. It has gone deathly quiet

The Original Jetpipe
17th Dec 2008, 00:20
Heard nothing too.............apart from a phone call a couple of weeks ago, I am guessing nothing will happen to the New Year now.
TOJP.

aphexau
17th Dec 2008, 11:25
i was at work today and checked the staff phone book for changes in the engineering and apprentice departments....its unfortunate to say but it looks like a huge amount of new apprentices and AMEs have been added into the system but are awaiting staff numbers.

im guessing they just left me in the dark and not even getting back to me after all.

oh well, time to look for other options...

Bootstrap1
22nd Dec 2008, 05:45
Well the good news is that Qantas got back to me today about the AME jobs.

The bad news is I have been deemed unsuccessful. Other applicants have more experience than I could offer, or so the jargon goes.

Has anyone else been informed either way?

im sparticus
24th Dec 2008, 01:00
got an email yesterday saying that they are currently assesing my suitability to the positions based on experiance etc and that they will be intouch shortly.

The wheels are still in motion, just.

subsonic69
31st Dec 2008, 05:29
im just wondering ...

is it better to work for QF Engr or JHAS??? just in case you have the luxury to choose..

what are or is being offered?
PM me if you dont want to indicate it here .. thanks in advance

The Original Jetpipe
6th Jan 2009, 04:19
At this current time, i think you will be struggling to get any work with these companies!!

However I would choose Qantas.

Anybody heard what the latest is with regards to the latest AME recruitment?
Regards.

subsonic69
7th Jan 2009, 09:20
Thanks The Original Jetpipe..

but do you mind sharing why I should go to QF just in case.

thosecotos
8th Jan 2009, 09:09
is it better to work for QF Engr or JHAS??? just in case you have the luxury to choose..

apparently six of one, half a dozen of the other.

At QF you get base plus shift if you do it...At JHAS it's all included at whatever you negotiate (better for super)
At QF you get paid overtime when you do it...At JHAS it's included in your yearly rate (if target hours include overtime factor - again negotiated by you)
At QF you will get tired from being underworked...At JHAS you will get tired from being overworked
At QF you're expected to be inflexible...At JHAS you're expected to be very very flexible
At QF you know your roster from week to week...At JHAS you take leave when there are few or no aircraft in the hangar and you are in turn expected to be there, lots, when there is
At QF you get staff travel...At JHAS you don't
At QF(MEL) the hangar is heated...At JHAS it isn't
and so on....JHAS is one of few truly independant MRO's in Oz so they should have a bright future, particularly for Heavy Maintenance. You will get good SoE on a variety of types and likely be a better chance of training if that way inclined (they have trained on 737NG; A320; E-Jet over the last 6 months in all categories and about to do 747-400 for some Line guys).

If you get the chance, weigh it up for yourself. No one here can guide you because very few, myself included, will have worked for both - and even those who have will see it through different eyes to you.

subsonic69
10th Jan 2009, 05:20
Thank you for the information sir. It seems true that QF seems to be more of a good place to work. But you are right. Everybody has a different opinion on wether apples are better than oranges.Odd as it may seem. I'm a bit hyperactive so I guess working with JHAS makes sense, specially the chance to get training on different types of aircraft. And with regards to heating, thats not gonna be a prob since I like cold weather and I prefer it to be 5-15C. so its okay

Again. Thanks sir

Cheers.

BrissySparkyCoit
14th Jan 2009, 09:53
At QF you know your roster from week to week...At JHAS you take leave when there are few or no aircraft in the hangar and you are in turn expected to be there, lots, when there isWell, that may be the case now, but if the metals unions in Brisbane vote up the flexibilities, you will no longer know what your roster will be from week to week. At QF Brisbane Heavy, we are flexible. Yep! It's all one way though. You take leave when you are told (Must take leave over Christmas), however, it is often difficult to arrange leave at your own time of choosing.

I'd consider JHAS if
1) you are willing to be flexible and
2) Want training.
I'd consider QF if
1) You are happy to remain an AME forever
2)You are happy to go unrewarded for your efforts or
3)Want to spend your days bludging and get paid same as the guy next to you working his arse off.

Short_Circuit
14th Jan 2009, 19:27
QANTAS ENGINEERING

Tens of Thousands of post about how crappy it is.

JHAS

Silence is golden.

I trust your intelligence will lead you in the right direction.

Ngineer
15th Jan 2009, 08:59
I know of plenty of AME's looking to move on from Qantas. They are presently knocking on the doors of other Employers. Just ask them. If you are after a job as an AME with no future training and ordinary conditions, then welcome aboard. Otherwise, look elsewhere. Maybe get a type rating first then consider your options. Even if qf went on a major apprentice recruitment drive I doubt we would have sufficient numbers, as the majoriy move on after completion due to lack of future. Management is driving this place into the dirt.

By the way, I heard recently that the drive for new employees has been put on hold indefinately, so don't hold your breath. Qf are content trying to survive on less than the smell of an oily rag.

subsonic69
15th Jan 2009, 11:31
I really appreciate all the reply guys. In my case, I am definitely looking forward for type trainings in the future and I don't mind working hard for it. With regard to being flexible, I don't mind at all. I worked for a company before in the middle east where we normally work 6 days a week because of heavy load and yup during peak seasons , less of course. I just hope my qualifications will be enough for JHAS to give me an offer I can't resist. :}

Bootstrap1
20th Jan 2009, 01:08
I have heard that there are some casual LAMEs starting shortly, can anyone confirm this, and if it is true are they still looking at taking on the AMEs as well. I know a few people who applied for the AME spots and everyone has recieved the same email that they have been unsuccessful.

Go figure

subsonic69
22nd Jan 2009, 02:20
Bootstrap

It is true that they have casuals coming in most probably in Feb or March , but the casuals mostly are foreign since think they're having a shortage on getting people in Melbourne, and probably more in July since as far as I know they have more work coming in this year. What I am sure of is that they're still looking for Line guys for Adelaide. mostly LAMEs on permanent positions.

heres the link if interested: John Holland Careers - Job details (http://careers.johnholland.com.au/jobDetails.asp?sJobIDs=487197&lCategoryID=&lWorkTypeID=&lLocationID=&lJobSectorID=489&stp=AW&sLanguage=en)

I'm still waiting for a call.. hope they call soon :D crossing my fingers :8

Imperial shifter
thanks for the idea on salary , atleast I know now where I stand.

satos
22nd Jan 2009, 12:11
it is true that they have casuals coming in most probably in Feb or March , but the casuals mostly are foreign since think they're having a shortage on getting people in Melbourne,
When have they advertised in Melbourne?
I certainly haven't seen the ad.Last year there were rumours that they were going to hire for the Mel Maint Base but it was put on hold.

Bootstrap1
30th Jan 2009, 09:21
I heard the other day that the AME jobs have been put on hold indefinitely due to EOC closing later this year, and instead of employing outsiders they are going to redeploy those who want to stay. Makes sense to me.

Does this mean that if they don't getthe numbers they want they will still look outside? I hope so as I would still like to work there.

Any news about the casual LAMEs? Did this go a head or has it been canned as well?

domo
30th Jan 2009, 23:21
the casual lames are in the training school approx 15 lames. most well known faces

torquebox
31st Jan 2009, 12:12
Any idea where the casuals are going to be working Domo??

Bolty McBolt
31st Jan 2009, 22:14
Any idea where the casuals are going to be working Domo??

Base maint is the destination for casuals....

Short_Circuit
1st Feb 2009, 03:22
Base maint SYD or MEL or both?

another superlame
1st Feb 2009, 05:04
Does Mel have Base Maintenance? I thought it was only 737 HM

domo
1st Feb 2009, 06:43
as far as I know all are for base in sydney, to help with a backlog after the dispute and inability to attract enough overtime takers.

Short_Circuit
1st Feb 2009, 07:19
Does Mel have Base Maintenance? I thought it was only 737 HM
As far as I am aware MEL call themselves Base as they do A330 A chks with a hangar. Check the interanet site.
I also believe there is a BASE in LAX. doing A checks and soon ( if QE Management have their way) in LHR. :uhoh:

PS
And what about the J.V. in Malaysia for HM? :eek: :mad:

PSS
I like using smilies :)

Bolty McBolt
1st Feb 2009, 10:09
Base maint is the destination for casuals....

Base maint SYDNEY is the destination for casuals....

Did they interview any recently retired/retrenched guys from MEL for the positions vacant "causal"?

Bucaneer1979
8th Feb 2009, 07:09
Casuals start Mon 9th Feb. They work Mon to Wed 0600-1800 days shift and 1400-0200 afternoon shift. A lot of the old timers that must be bored at home.:)

UPPERLOBE
8th Feb 2009, 19:21
A lot of retirees have had their super funds severely chewed by the current economic crisis.

So no, probably not bored at home, more likely trying to earn a bit to stop their allocated pensions mowing their capital down. :eek:

domo
8th Feb 2009, 21:51
[QUOTE] heard the other day that the AME jobs have been put on hold indefinitely due to EOC closing later this year, and instead of employing outsiders they are going to redeploy those who want to stay. Makes sense to me./QUOTE]

A section of EOC been closed down in july.over 100 bodies all promised redeployment if they want it.

UPPERLOBE
9th Feb 2009, 23:05
Great news.....those "people" who set about destroying Qantas Engineering particularly Line Maintenance, emanated from you guessed it...EOC.

Syd eng
10th Feb 2009, 21:31
What section of EOC is being Closed? Components? or one of the other sections that make the Engine line tick over?

domo
10th Feb 2009, 21:53
from what I heard its engine line, only a repair crew will be kept on all overhauls done overseas

nut turner
10th Feb 2009, 23:41
Does this mean that the remnants of SEM will return to their former home? What of the test cell? If they're not producing engines not much point in having it.(Costs involved in keeping it operational)

torquebox
11th Feb 2009, 00:34
Didnt the spend however many million dollars it was only a few years ago to make the engine line into an Rb211 centre of excellence? What happened to that?

Syd eng
11th Feb 2009, 00:40
More like a Centre of Errors:oh:

11th Feb 2009, 08:10
ah another "Excellent" example of M........'s work no doubt at the direction of others ...we all know who they are.

Can just see the Title on a forth coming report into the deliberate destruction of the QANTAS ENGINGEERING expertise... "M.... and Co were here".

Where is the corporate responsibility?

Bootstrap1
25th Feb 2009, 08:11
I have been told that some interviews are being done for external AME employment. Can anyone confirm this.

im sparticus
25th Feb 2009, 08:29
yes i had an offer for an interview on friday

subsonic69
25th Feb 2009, 08:48
good luck then mate !!!

any more news ???

Ultralights
25th Feb 2009, 08:52
AME equivalent, (cert 4) voting on a 7.5% pay rise this yr, followed by 3.5 and 3.5% the following 2 yrs...

not with QF....and within 2 hrs of syd. base wage for AME is $52K.

the rim
25th Feb 2009, 21:06
went to the qf roadshow in the big house yesterday they put on a good show wanting us to trust the new team talked a lot about hard times ahead but if we work hard we will get there all good untill the heavy issues were tabled good on you guys for speaking up looks like the ame's have a hard road ahead in the big house....what does the company want ????

Hardworker
25th Feb 2009, 21:48
QF management want AME's to do everything for no recognition or training, keep you as the lowest paid engineering team in the southern Hemisphere...trust QF management, you have to be kidding

The Original Jetpipe
28th Feb 2009, 01:19
Just wondering (for those lucky enough to get called) how the interviews went? any news or rumours? ie numbers being recruited/where you going to working etc etc.

Regards
TOJP

Ngineer
28th Feb 2009, 07:35
Spot on Hardworker. Just the same old stuff, except coming from a different angle to GD. Action speaks louder than words.

(IE; We will not promote anyone from your section to DMM regardless of experience as they are not the people we want in the job. We will not guaruntee training to anyone no matter how low licence numbers are (unless of course you are a very good friend of a manager or two). We will hire few full timers and run crew numbers down as low as possible until we find a breaking point, in order to save a few bucks. We will watch you closely to try and find new ways to cut you to the bone, you must be flexible!!).

Sound familiar? Trust new management because they can put on a good road show? We were'nt born yesterday. The bugary campaign continues.

domo
28th Feb 2009, 09:35
Heard from dude talking to a manager 30 ame position available externally.EX sydney heavy have the inside running. But to all go hard in the interview and hope to see you soon inside.

employes perspective
28th Feb 2009, 20:34
i don't think there is 30 ex syd heavy ames,and there wouldn't be to many that would ever want to go back.i think QF have burnt that bridge,plus people have moved on

The Original Jetpipe
1st Mar 2009, 08:01
Has no Ppruner been called for interview, and attended? or maybe their is another reason no body is talking!!

Jets on
1st Mar 2009, 12:01
I heard that the interviewers, for the apprentice intake wanted to employ 120 candidates but were only given approval for 80. I guess management don't want to train them but want them now!

Bootstrap1
15th Mar 2009, 08:03
Once again they have advertised for AMEs in Sydney. This is 4-5 months after they last advertised and they didn't employ one single person, so now they are going to screw with peoples lives for a second time around.
These morons need to make a decision rather than procrastinate for 6 months and still achieve nothing.

Before advertising for a second time how about talking to those interested candidates from the first lot.

BrissySparkyCoit
15th Mar 2009, 09:58
Bootstrap1, Qantas is too good for the first lot. They were just wasting Qantas's time. Management reckon the best candidates didn't think they could cut it for the first round and are giving them a second chance to apply. They are out there. They are! Shake the tree, More will fall out.:ugh:

The Original Jetpipe
30th Mar 2009, 04:38
Anybody heard anything? Heard a "rumour" that a contract agency was emailing ex-employers of Qantas, asking if they where interested?

TOJP.

Short_Circuit
30th Mar 2009, 09:18
Hang in there TOJP we need people badly and when management realise old employees will not come back (feed up) we will be welcoming your like.

The Original Jetpipe
1st Apr 2009, 00:55
Will hang in there! but for how long!!

For anybody that has been offered a position, can you confirm what level they are planning to pay at?......heard its between level 7 to level 9.

Regards
TOJP.

Syd eng
1st Apr 2009, 05:38
Heard it was 8 & 10 myself.

subsonic69
13th Apr 2009, 06:24
even jhas is holding all their recruitment... bad economy i guess .. bad timing.. waaaaah

blackhander
13th Apr 2009, 07:43
jh getting out of aviation apparently. comments romulus?

the rim
13th Apr 2009, 23:17
jhas have just taken over the handling of ang in bne....so whats this getting out of aviation ??

blackhander
14th Apr 2009, 07:57
just something I heard on 'the street' rim. been wrong many times before though

The Original Jetpipe
15th Apr 2009, 03:26
Just wondering what is going to happen to the latest AMEs that Qantas has employed? heard they are due to start sometime this month or early May. With the possible loss of 500 engineers, will they be first in line for the chop!

TOJP.

domo
15th Apr 2009, 03:59
tojp where did you get 500 engineers, was it 500 ground staff I heard it was 80 in engineering not sure if that was managers. but yes the new starters will be shown the door first if it goes to CR's. Lets hope it doesnt

Short_Circuit
15th Apr 2009, 04:45
If Boeing crews are short staffed
AND A330 crews are short staffed
AND TEAM A380 crews are short staffed
AND we do not have enough engineers to do customer aircraft,
does it make sense to dump 80 engineers?

Dixon is gone and hopefully so is his hatred of engineers and his dying passion to get rid of all for us.

The Oz engineers are an insurance policy against A/C failures, especially those that come out of outsourced maintenance with
major defects.

QF22
15th Apr 2009, 06:48
80 Engineers, no problem if it's VR they will be trampled in the rush ! ! !

domo
15th Apr 2009, 06:52
80 in engineering does not mean 80 engineers
engineering consists of approx 6000 people of which I estimate 3000 are engineers.

QF22
15th Apr 2009, 07:07
If its VR there will be an even BIGGER Rush to be trampled in ! ! !

Redstone
16th Apr 2009, 13:09
TOJP, that number of 500 was MANAGERS company wide. Qantas are to shed 1200 odd jobs 500 of which will be management. There has been speculation that between 60-80 of those managers will be targeted from Qantas Engineering. No talk yet of operational maintenance staff being vr'd cr'd etc...

cementhead
27th Apr 2009, 10:01
Word on the street 10 started today
2 ex-lames may have been part of qantas alternative workforce
thats right the type that form on open wounds

The Original Jetpipe
27th Apr 2009, 11:57
Also heard that some more are starting on the 18th May. Rumour is they employed 30 AMES?

Ngineer
27th Apr 2009, 12:26
RE Cementheads comment,

Could QF be that low, that idiotic, that stupid to do such a thing? I sincerely hope not.

BrissySparkyCoit
27th Apr 2009, 13:07
I'm sure they will all be made to feel welcome :ok: