View Full Version : A question to those with Virgin Atlantic

BillyElliott
13th Oct 2008, 19:42
Hi everyone

I have a few questions and felt that this would be the best place to get an honest answer.

Im a member of the RAF and have just been told that we are posted to Vegas for 3 years, so we fly out with Virgin to Washington in January before moving on to Vegas.

My situation is that it would be myself plus my wife and our 4 children (ages 7, 4, 3, and 1) travelling and too be honest, im shi**ing myself about taking them on the flight, so my questions are:

1. Do you have any 'SERIOUS' suggestions on what to take on the flight to make it as good as possible for us and also the people sat around us?

2. We are really unsure about what we can take on the flight and how it effects our baggage allowance. like car seats and buggies for example, so if you know of someone who can help, could you please let me know.

I have read the thread on kids, so im sure there is a fair few of you calling me alsorts for taking 4 small children on a plane. but as i said, i dont have any choice in the matter and would like to make it as easy as possible.

Cheers :ok:

DAISYDOLLY
14th Oct 2008, 21:16
Hi,
I am crew for Virgin, are you travelling in economy, premium or upper, as this makes a deifference as to what you are allowed to bring on board. You can only bring your buggy if you are in upper, although there is no way you can use this during he flight. Again depending where you are sitting the same will go for the car seat, but again cannot use during the flight as this is not an approved seat for a child from CAA point of view. If your children have their own seats, for the youngest one you can get a ICC for the child which is like a car seat which the crew will attach to the seat, although this has to pre ordered, so you may need to ring reservations to find out. It also depends how busy the flight is depending the amount of stuff you are bringing on board, and also what jobs worth you get on the check-in desk on the day!!!
The entertainment on board is pretty good so that should keep the older one entertained, and that's assuming it's all working!!!!! But bring books and things that your children love. It's not too long a flight so that's a bonus!!! Hope it goes ok, any other questions let me know and I will try and find out for you!
Lx

DAISYDOLLY
14th Oct 2008, 21:18
Sorry, forgot to say, you can put buggy and car seat in the hold, it's only if you are wanting to bring them on board that it makes a difference as to what class of cabin you are in!

Tulip2007
15th Oct 2008, 10:38
Hi there,

Don't panic!! I know it's not ideal but you will be fine! As Daisy said, the entertainment is really good and will keep them busy for a few hours!

I would bring lots of books and toys and if they are particular with food then bring snacks that you know they will like. You see some parents that haven't brought anything at all (no nappies, bottles etc..) and you wonder how they get on at home! :os We have limited supplies onboard but can warm up milk etc...

The kids will get their own Kid Packs as they board at LHR so that will keep them entertained for a bit oh and don't forget to order children's meals before you fly.

Give reservations a call for meals and request the Infant/Child seats for your 2 youngest (seats children up to 100cm or 20kg)

Don't bother purchasing the IC seats as you'll only use them the once.

It changes depending on destination but buggies are usually taken by ground staff at the boarding door and either returned at the door when you leave or on the carousel with your luggage.

Hope this helps you!

Happy flying :o)

BillyElliott
16th Oct 2008, 11:46
This is great, thanks for all the help so far.

I think ill have to get the meals and seats squared away as you said. Well be spending 5 days in Washington before moving on to Vegas so i think we will definatley need a buggy.

We will be in economy so i have an idea on baggage allowance, but the likes of a car seat for each child and then one buggy, is this on top of your allowance? and am i taking the p1ss by asking to have the car seats in the cargo hold as well?