View Full Version : BA 11 Month Contracts- Cabin Crew

Sweetmissy
13th Oct 2008, 14:19
Hey,

I'm currently on the 11 month (temp) contract with BA.. ending in Feb 2009 :sad:

Anyone else on the same contract as me? and anyone got any updates, with what will happen to temps?? will they be kept on etc (or not)..

Thank you in advance

x

Carnage Matey!
13th Oct 2008, 14:26
Unless circumstances change significantly you'll be getting your Dear John email after 11 months. They are already waving goodbye to those whose 11 months are up with no transfers to other parts of BA. Probably not what you want to hear but best to plan for it early.

wiggy
13th Oct 2008, 15:47
Just curious about this - I know personally of 3 Temps who have just been laid off yet at the same time it would seem ( from threads here) that the Company can still recruit newbies to fill the same posts? I have to assume this is legit and above board, isn't it?

HZ123
13th Oct 2008, 16:28
It is legal as the temps contracts stated that it was a temp appointment. On the ramp side some of the temps that joined in July actually had a dear john with their joining papers. Do not give up hope as there may well be severance offers to senior service CC staff before that. On a positive note as well it is anticipated that there well be an increase in flights next year.

flyer55
13th Oct 2008, 18:25
Temps will not be kept on, hope you enjoyed the trips on ww lhr , just think of the crew @ LGW who have been waiting to transfer to ww lhr . Personally Ive been waiting to be offered a transfer for over 5 yrs !

You can always apply to lgw !!

Railgun
13th Oct 2008, 19:30
How can they apply to LGW? Is there not a recrutment freeze?

Also do lhref not have first option of transfer to lhrww and to get on WW from lgw you have to go on lhref first?

cloud747
14th Oct 2008, 02:37
flyer

you need to remeber also the reason you waited was because

THERE WERE ALOT MORE SENIOR CREW TO YOU AT LGW, AS YOU WERE QUIET JUNIOR DUE TO INFACT NOT JOINING BA DIRECT BUT BY GETTING INTO BA WHEN YOUR AIRLINE CITYFLYER EXPRESS WAS BROUGHT OUT AND TAKEN INTO BA, OTHERWISE NO DOUBT YOU WOULD STILL BE AT CITYFLYER NOW

also lgw the nsp has only recently been accepted into lgw and signed off therefore you can now transfer to lhr, but as you know as u are a cm, ( lhr equivilant psr) you will have ot take the purser role at lhr and you are aware that lhr are well over crewed with psrs and crew at this current time and no spaces are avaliable for current crew to transfer.

also with only 2 years of nsp seniority , you are still classed as very junior and there are 1000s of crew to transfer above you.

think of thoses poor souls at xl and zoom etc who dont have a flying job when well infact you do, ok its lgw but lgw is a great base belive me. at lhr you will be eaten alive with the way you carry on, belive me

hope you are better now and back at work

flyer55
14th Oct 2008, 12:00
Lgwflyboy , if you know me pvte me !

Personally as the CM role is currently in discussion and at the moment cm's would transfer over as a psr , however if role is mage substantive CM's will transfer over as CSD's or Cm's and yeah it is on the horizion to happen at LHR and if that means a new fleet being set up at LHR . I know that both unions @ lgw are going to push for this .

With NSP LGW crew originally had a date of 2001/2002 that had been temp agreed which bassa went back on and mike conroy was asked this when the forums were being held when Gatwick Fleet was being set up.

Personally nobody should be penalised over NSP , but permament crew should be given priority over temps !

Railgun - with the new lists about to open soon for transfers that means that current lgw crew can put their name down to transfer to ww lhr instead of having to go via EF LHR . Personally LGW crew past and present should never have been penalised on transfering !

apaddyinuk
14th Oct 2008, 13:02
To those of you on the temp contract,

Now is the time to brace yourself. In the last few years the industry did not have the crises that is facing the industry now. I do not think there is a question as to whether or not you will be kept on or redeployed, the answer is simple, you wont be staying. Sad but true.

XL will not be the last airline to go under, in fact it is only the start of things to come. I fear that the market will soon be bursting with unemployed crew trying to get any job they can flying and the competition will be ruthless. Even Ryanair is now planning on grounding crew.

Use your last little while in BA to enjoy the flying and the routes. You will love it and it will be something you will always remember and tell your kids about. Make the most of it and do not worry about what will happen to you. But do make sure you have your CV up to date (BA will look great on it regardless and companies will be understanding of the fact that you were on a temp contract and market conditions prevented you from staying on), apply for jobs outside of the industry and do what you can to secure employment for yourself outside of BA BEFORE the whole economy takes a hit, otherwise you will not only find yourself up against a lot of out of work crew but also fighting against hundreds of thousands of other skilled unemployed made redundant by the recession!

cloud747
14th Oct 2008, 20:00
yes no staff should be penalised , however as eog as it was then was a different part of ba, and crew who joined there knew this ( mind u i do belive that somewere miss lead into thinking it was mainline ba when it was not) also others got there from there airlines like you did applying for a job a cityflyer express and getting a job with them not ba ( eog or mainline)when ba brought them over, it was your choice to stay, ba did not make you.

with regards to the temps who are due to go, as they are already trained in ba service and styles etc it would pay to give them the jobs that ba are going to train upto 3 new courses in dec/jan, not only saving the company alot of money but to also give the temps who on a whole are fantastic:D
a chance of a full time permanant job at ba .

yes the opps and choice list will open again soon , so put your name down on it and try to go to lhr, but you as well as me and 1000's of others know fly boy that ba is well over crewed on all grades of ranks and fleets at lhr, and remember there are alot of senior people on lists etc that wish tio change and as i said before are alot more senior to you at ba , and as you know ba are a seniority based company, but you can try to go up to heathrow, but with ba offering alot of unpaid leave etc to all grades and fleets i doubt this will be very soon or in the near future.

with regards to the cm, yes they have not said if this will stay etc or will be made equal to the csd role but as you are aware if you come to lhr now you will only be able to come in as a purser, and they seem to be keen to get ride of the csd role and take another purser of the aircraft, so i doubt there is going to be any room for you:ugh::ugh:

lets just wait and here what they plan to do with lhr re new fleet, remember they can try and get what they want but most crew at lhr are bassa the strong non company puppet union so i doubt they will get to far at all.

i think in this time of the credit crunch and aviation crisis we should be lucky we have flying jobs as think of the others that dont or are about to loose there jobs with other airlines due to go under.

i do hope flyer you get what you want and as everyone knows all you have ever wanted was to go to lhr ever since you have come from fd, yes you may be now on the road to getting there, but under what time scale or conditions who knows. look forward to flying with you again soon, but you just need to chill a bit even managers ignore you now on the forum
as willy said to virgin, " its like a broken record":uhoh:

TightSlot
15th Oct 2008, 12:02
Please make some attempt to employ basic English grammar including the use of Capital Letters, and some form of punctuation. The above post is rendered difficult to read (and therefore understand) by their absence.

Londonlads
15th Oct 2008, 18:30
Flyer55, don't take this the wrong way but you chose to go to LGW. It's all about decisions.

Personally, I find this transfer list, sometimes, extremely ridiciolous and is treated as holy. It's amazing that BA never seems able to sort out the transfer issue. The lists are pretty long. Do the transfers and take the numbers down to zero. Start from scratch. Recruit straight into any fleet. Still, you've got certain crew moaning that they had to transfer and that it should stay that way! Let it be ancient and this is exactly why this mentality still exists. Things change and process and perhaps it's time this would also take that direction.

I had to transfer from EF and WW and to be honest, I wouldn't mind at all if the temporary crew were given permanent contract. Most of them are full of life and fantastic to work with!

Smell the Coffee
15th Oct 2008, 20:01
Mixed flying on the way at LHR, so EF to WW transfers will cease as we know them now.

Gatwick will be the template.

OzzieO
15th Oct 2008, 21:10
STC - Do you have some inside knowledge then? What makes you so sure?

Human Factor
16th Oct 2008, 00:08
wiggy,

Just curious about this - I know personally of 3 Temps who have just been laid off yet at the same time it would seem ( from threads here) that the Company can still recruit newbies to fill the same posts? I have to assume this is legit and above board, isn't it?

If it's a temporary contract, that's allowable. If you are in post (pilot, cabin crew, whatever) for more than twelve months, your rights are different (greater) if you are laid off.

If you really want to start a conspiracy, why do BA want to create a whole load of experienced (in the legal sense) cabin crew who are eager to stay with the company and could perhaps come back if they were called? :confused:

In fourteen hundred and ninety two ....... :oh:

Smell the Coffee
16th Oct 2008, 16:22
OzzieO

4 reasons;

1) The Gatwick style of flying is very cost effective

2) The segregated Longhaul/shorthaul style of flying is expensive for the airline and has been abandoned by many of our competitors. It just isn't an efficient way to use our resources

3) Sat in a meeting with a Crew Manager that strongly hinted this was on the way.

4) BASSA communication a few weeks ago signalling/hinting things would soon change at LHR

How it will be implemented I don't know ... I would imagine the company would start with all future new-hires and/or shorthaul crew.

My own conclusion is that this WW / EF thing is on its way out. How quickly it will be implemented I don't know.

TopBunk
16th Oct 2008, 16:54
Looking at the way that Qantas are doing things with the A380 could give a pointer to the way ahead. It seems that they are establishing a separate A380 fleet on different terms and conditions (no Long Range Payments?).

Think how that might transfer across to the BA world at LHR.

The Shorthaul arena will shortly become an A320 family domain. Add the A380 and/or B787 to that on revised T&C and suddenly you undermine the Longhaul Long Range bonanza.

There will also shortly be the results from the Inland Revenue allowances review - I confidently expect that the tax rates will rise upwards to about 60-70%. That will get BASSA back to the table to discuss TAFB allowances at a lower tax rate, and facilitate other changes in the agreements, imho (before we get into the changes demanded by the current economic climate).

Imho monumental changes are about to be tabled within the next month. Watch this space.

Virginia
16th Oct 2008, 16:55
Fasten your seatbelts we are in for a bumpy ride :\

We are deffo going to see a change in our T&C's. This was planned way before oil shot up and the credit crunch and impending recession.

Da Dog
16th Oct 2008, 19:39
Gini, you are correct, the freight train has gathered momentum, how long before it hits is the unknown, but it will be a tough and interesting next 6-12 months:sad::ooh:

6chimes
17th Oct 2008, 15:40
As the CAA regulations stand at the moment cabin crew are only permitted to be licensed on 3 a/c family types. No cabin crew could be licensed on 747, 777, 767, 757, 320 (321, 319 inclusive). Unless of course BA are going to get rid of 2 a/c types it could not happen as there would still have to be 2 cabin crew fleets.

Virginia
17th Oct 2008, 18:40
Rumours abound of them getting rid of the 757 and 767 or sending over to LGW.

BA will be a very different place this time next year, not sure I will be there for it!

Londonlads
18th Oct 2008, 11:37
6chimes, it could happen easily. Mid-fleet were licensed on 757, 767 and 777. Not the 747 or any of the other aircraft used at the time! Perhaps it would be a mixture of crew being licensed on either Airbus or Boeing aircraft. Either A320/380 or B757/767/787. Or, a bit of both!

If they want to go ahead with it, they will. This is nothing but a formality for them! Can't see why it wouldn't be possible because most airlines do a mixture of short and long haul flights.

Virginia, leaving another airline?

apaddyinuk
18th Oct 2008, 14:12
I agree with Londonlads.

KLM have mixed flying despite have a wide number of fleet types. They have crew who are licensed 747, A330, 737.

If BA get rid of the 767 then it would be easy for the company to give Afleet an airbus with a change to the worldwide agreement. Likewise the vast majority of ww crew are actually only trained on two types, the 747 and 777. BA would love to get them on the Airbus too.

When the new fleet of 787's (which I believe will be the same rating as a 777 as the doors are identical) and the A380 arrive we could expect a very different crew setup to what we have.

Lets face it, having mixed flying is far more economical to BA then having a split crew base. The only reason there is a split crew base at LHR at present is a hark back to the pre BA days when BOAC (now ww) and BEA (now ef) were two separate companies.

ribble
21st Oct 2008, 16:07
Hi guys
Well ive just finished my 11 month contract with BA and ive had a great year and im sad to be going :{
does anyone have any news about the future for us...if any ?!
do you think they would invite us back ? or have to apply and start all over again.....some day ..lol..!
Cheers :ok:

TopBunk
21st Oct 2008, 16:15
Ribble

You signed an 11-month contract, it was honoured, you enjoyed your time, your cv is the better for it.

You will be better placed in the future to return to BA when the conditions are right - assuming you didn't blot your copybook while here.

I suspect, however, that the coming months, rather than see BA keen to rehire you, will see big reductions in numbers throughout the company as it goes into lockdown and survival mode for the next two years. The future really is that ominous, and you can bet your socks that if it is that grim at BA, it is worse at 95% of the competition - yes Virgin and Bmi included.

Watch this space, I foresee that by 10th November there will be a thread about how BA want to reduce numbers and terms and conditions.

Good luck to you and yours for the next couple of years !

galanjal
22nd Oct 2008, 06:20
why by 10 November TopBunk? do you have some information??

Da Dog
22nd Oct 2008, 13:35
Passenger numbers and data on forward bookings released on I think about the 6th or 7th of November. Expected to be very bad.

Expect the company to use this data to try to railroad some unpopular changes.

747-436
25th Oct 2008, 15:08
Expect the company to use this data to try to railroad some unpopular changes.

I think you are probably right there, and some of these changes are needed, and that goes for lots of departments across BA! The change is coming!

jas99915
8th Nov 2008, 15:29
hey all... yes i just finished my 11 month contract... it was great had real fun... gutted wasnt offered anything... but thats it for me... and the rest of my course... any one i am sorry to say if you your contract is coming to an end... you will not be offered anything sorry guys... BA are even starting a new course on the 19th jan 2009 for ww temp course... its a shame they couldnt keep on those that wanted to stay and maybe offer another 11 months... but it seems its probably easier to recruit more temps than to offer anything to those that wanted to stay.. even another temp contract.. shame i would have stayed never mind... and yes before anyone replys to this message and says you know what a temp contract is... i do... nothing more nothing less.... just would have been nice to be kept on.... i had a ball though.... good luck to all those coming to an end... make the most of it....:ok::)

flyer55
8th Nov 2008, 17:59
Rumour is that 787 will arrive at lgw first .

757's going to Openskies and 767 all going to WW lhr and then retired

Their is still a fleet replacement to be announced soon for the rest of the longhaul fleet !

hunterboy
8th Nov 2008, 18:26
I for one will be sorry to see the temp contract people go...they have been like a breath of fresh air.
Good luck in your next jobs and hopefully, you will all bear us in mind when the upturn arrives in 2010?

wobble2plank
8th Nov 2008, 18:51
787 is primary hardware and, with the delays, will be at lhr for 2012, not lgw. Thats the same 'rumour' that floated around about the A380 being mixed fleet out of lgw although the runway/taxiways can't take it. :rolleyes:

The cushy times of the cc at LHR are, without doubt, numbered. 6 CC on a 30 minute flight to MAN on a 319? How can any serious union defend that?

BASSA and BALPA have had their wings clipped by Willie and the change is now in the offing. It could get very messy and very painful.

Get used to it.

speedmarque
9th Nov 2008, 08:14
You chose the wrong flight to highlight there. Whilst I agree that SOME bands are overcrewed at certain times of the day, have you tried to offer 132 hot panini with tea/coffee/juices and any other drinks on demand on a thirty minute flight?

The effective cabin service time on a MAN can be as low as 12 mins after take off and landing preps.

Its very easy to critisise from the other side of the flight deck door.
:ugh::ugh::ugh:

wobble2plank
9th Nov 2008, 10:37
Really?

How come a 3 crew Gatwick crew manage with similar numbers on a 45 minute Glasgow/Gatwick flight then? Add on to that a full club load with a full aircraft to Marseille and the Purser managed the lot with a smile? A321 I can understand a 319? Not quite so much. Include the minimum of 6 we had on a 321 to Brussels the other day with 33 pax and you can see where I am coming from.

I don't wish to criticise I am just pointing out that it is in-efficient on a single aisle small aircraft to have all these crew rushing up and down the aisle on a Manchester. Most pax would be happy to have no service and a quicker flight on a 28-32 minute sector.

:=

Pax Agent
9th Nov 2008, 12:52
Whilst I thing 6 is too many yes...we at LGW do NOT have 3 on a MAN/GLA etc...
The minimum is always 4 here and at certain times of the day 5 are required of the flights is busy.

wobble2plank
10th Nov 2008, 04:07
Then I obviously had the 'ghost' crew member on board! Must be cheaper. :ugh:

HZ123
10th Nov 2008, 15:59
Roger makes a very worthy comment, which might make perfect sense. However, let me assure you that such logic is way out of BA's capabilities, such things as refs & CRC would all have to be taken out again.

VS-LHRCSA
11th Nov 2008, 07:00
Ha ha, 'logic' and 'BA' in the same sentence! Good one.

speedmarque
12th Nov 2008, 14:19
""Most pax would be happy to have no service and a quicker flight on a 28-32 minute sector.""

But until that day comes when there is no service on a MAN, 6 crew is just fine thanks
:=:D

aar4n5
12th Nov 2008, 15:04
Its been proven that the Gatwick model works ie: reduced crew compliments on all aircraft types, no CSD, 2days off after longhaul not 3, airport and home standby not QRS and mixed flying longhaul/shorhaul. Its only a matter if time before a similar operation is started at LHR, the agreements and working conditions at LHR are out dated and no longer cost effective.
Perhaps if the union had done a bit more to help Gatwick crew when single fleet started it would have made it more difficult for the company to put the changes through, however BASSA's is only interested in Heathrow.
Any future strike action in response to a change of conditions will not effect Gatwick as there is nothing left for the company to take away.

SuperBoy
13th Nov 2008, 09:07
a change of conditions will not effect Gatwick as there is nothing left for the company to take away.Really??? Do you honestly think that ??? There is ALWAYS more they could take.

newbagr
13th Nov 2008, 15:36
aar4n5,

are you a manager by any chance?! I agree that LGW has been left to BA's hands to do what they wish and the unions could do more to help but I doubt that BA will find it easy to break LHR terms and conditions. Surely they will try their best as usually they do

aar4n5
13th Nov 2008, 17:16
I work at Gatwick (not as a manager) and the only thing left to take away is the onboard product which im sure the company will not do as they would lose too many passenegers.
Gatwick shorthaul barely breaks even at the moment and many routes have been cut for the winter and then some more are being cut at the start of the summer timetable. However the longhaul operation at Gatwick is very profitable with the loads factors being almost 100%, when XL went bust most of the carribbean flying program for the winter sold out.
If any chages are to take place at Gatwick it will be targeted at the shorthaul operation and there has been talk of this going altogether.

skywatch77
15th Nov 2008, 21:25
aar4n5,

I can assure you that whatever BA have planned for LHR isn't going to happen without a good fight. Don't underestimate the crew at LHR. BASSA is strong and we won't let it happen without a good fight.

flyingpanther
21st Nov 2008, 17:56
Hi, I'm EF LHR crew and have operated flights from LGW in the winter last year because of crew shortage. The service at LGW is reduced (choice of drinks especially) compared to the one we offer at LHR that's why the company only need 4 or 5 crew on a LGW-MAN and need 6 on a LHR-MAN. I'm very happy with our current crew compliment at LHR, thank you very much, I don't think our pax would appreciate being thrown food on their laps ,catch me if you can style, without a word from the crew because there isn't enough of us to deliver a consistent service. With the choice of drinks we offer at LHR, pax always take for ever to choose what they want or whether they want ice and lemon with their G and T, we need 6 crew on a MAN. However sometimes the way crew level is managed is a bit of a joke.

Smell the Coffee
21st Nov 2008, 18:10
I can assure you that whatever BA have planned for LHR isn't going to happen without a good fight. Don't underestimate the crew at LHR. BASSA is strong and we won't let it happen without a good fight.

We would be naive to assume otherwise; the point is change IS needed in some areas - let's see how the company and its employees manage it.

schwing1
26th Nov 2008, 16:23
Does anyone know if ba are going to recruit again for euro fleet or the temp contract?

747-436
26th Nov 2008, 16:45
Does anyone know if ba are going to recruit again for euro fleet or the temp contract?

They will be, but that date will be somewhere in the future at the moment as the flying program is slightly reduced for next summer. So I would imagine there will be no recruitment for another 6 months at least.

yaletown
26th Nov 2008, 17:33
I remember back in the day when GLA, LGW, LHR, BFS, MAN and I think BHX were all mainline bases. When I was there, they slowly converted them over to subsidiaries, one by one. The only thing left is LHR WW and EF in terms of mainline. They have been slowly but steadily, widdling down the mainline crews, finally surrounding LHR. Also, back when LGW short haul became EuroGatwick, those crew had to stay there for 3 years before transferring to LHR Eurofleet (it was called LHR NBA at that time) and only then could they put in for a transfer to longhaul/jumbos, being on shorthaul at LHR. The other subsidiaries had no option to come over to mainline. Does anyone remember Flying Colours? Ayling's wife's company? where they used our 777's and flight deck and put their crews on some LGW long haul routes? It started then...BASSA for reasons I cannot remember frankly, did not block that.

I think the writing is on the wall sadly, but these temporary contracts are going to be a thing of the norm. BA and all other airlines are out to end the cabin crew career, which I am upset about, but it seems like they are all up to it. I cringe when I hear about the changes at BA, because they sound terribly North American, and I am sure you are all aware of how badly paying the industry is over there.

simon773
27th Nov 2008, 19:00
British Airways Mainline Bases Are:

LGW Fleet
Euro Fleet
World Wide Fleet
Glasgow

Cabin crew there belong to the NSP which means they can transfer between two bases.

cheers!

whattimedoweland
27th Nov 2008, 23:22
I've got to say,with one exception!!,as a CSD the 11 contract crew have been great and I will be sad to see any of them go.Hard working,enthusiastic and good fun.

Hard times at present will make it hard for BA to keep you.If I had a say there would be a lot of the dead wood/'don't give a sh*t people out before you.

Hope there is a turn round and we can welcome you back.:ok:

Best of luck.

WTDWL.

JetPhotos.Net Photo » G-BNWR (CN: 25732) British Airways Boeing 767-336(ER) by jetman41 (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6399797)