PDA

View Full Version : AGW Kyoto carbon Trading et al V's Global Financial Meltown

nomorecatering
13th Oct 2008, 09:34
Has anyone else noticed in the last few weeks that all the hysterical talk about the world comming to an end from AGW and emissions trading scheems with its financial impost on some industries, aviation in particular has vanished.

It seems at the moment kyoto and the carbon tradig scheem is all but dead in the water.

Maybe there is a silver lining in this crisis.

compressor stall
13th Oct 2008, 09:49
Have you also thought that a recession reduces the demand for fossil fuels? Maybe that's the silver lining your grandkids will be thankful for.

Jabawocky
13th Oct 2008, 12:26
Stallie

You are smarter than that. CO2 emmisions has nothing to do with it. Besides you will have more ice to play with in a few years;) Aand that started long before the financial melt down.

J

notmyC150v2
15th Oct 2008, 00:46
Noticed on the Teev the other night an ad for an expo on Carbon Trading Opportunities. Basically aimed at big companies looking for ways to spend money on carbon offsets. The mania hasn't gone away just yet...

If you will all excuse me I am off to plant some trees, anyone want to buy some shares from me???

sms777
15th Oct 2008, 09:55
Forget the trees... I am off to expand my backyard to plant some sugarcane because that is where the next generations fuel supplies will be coming from. Forget the Arabs, as far as i am concerned they can drown in their oil because the rest of us will be burning ethanol happily and they can have their camels to drink the left overs.

:ok:

neville_nobody
15th Oct 2008, 11:15
I think the trend had always been that the environment comes last in the list of economic priorities. If times are good and people have all their other needs met then they start looking at what things they can cut back on for the environment.

However if people are struggling to make ends meet then you can forget people trying to make sacrifices for the environment they are more interesting in making ends meet than trying to save the whales.

Chimbu chuckles
15th Oct 2008, 12:43
That is what puts the lie to idiotic left wing environazi rhetoric that seeks to impoverish the western economies, particularly the US, let alone the suggestion that if the third world develops as the first has done it will be an ecological disaster.