PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Fry in America - Or was it???

denis555
13th Oct 2008, 09:03
He looked like Stephen Fry , but where was the cutting wit? Apart from saying he found Vegas style gambling vulgar our Stephen was in fawning mode ignoring the rude and uncaring and plainly bored people he bumped into.

I was especially surprised when he met the US politician who shook his hand without looking at him and said "Nice to meet you again" - come on Stephen surely this arrogant strangers reaction to you should have been a raised eyebrow at least?

airborne_artist
13th Oct 2008, 10:56
I thought it was very boring with no real content beyond turn up, do/meet/look at something and move on.

GROUNDHOG
13th Oct 2008, 11:03
dissapointed myself, it was all just a bit bland, lets hope it gets better or bring back Michael Palin.

Parapunter
13th Oct 2008, 11:11
I thought Charley Boormans wide eyed travelogue was more entertaining, which is saying something - it's all BRILLLLLIIAANT!:hmm:

tony draper
13th Oct 2008, 11:48
Yer disappointing,normally normally one would watch a hour long Steven Fry prog even about mud, Clarkson would have done this better.
Still reckon one of the best progs of this ilk was Allistiar Cooke's series made many years ago.
Anyway one shall give it second chance.
Incidently a more serious look at American History is being undertaken by Simon Scharma over on tother side.
:)

Parapunter
13th Oct 2008, 11:57
That was good, Schama at least got down to brass tacks with a few working joes.

CATIII-NDB
13th Oct 2008, 12:12
Simon Scharma's Prog (I missed the first 15 Minutes ) covering the Dust Bowl years and the building of the Hoover dam that resultedin the creation of Lake Meade was a far better intellectually enlightened, bit of programme making. The water shortage and the fight for irrigation rights between farms and cities goes right back to the settlement of the western plains. More please. PS the folk song was Woody Gutherie's Dust Bowl blues " The Gambling man is rich and the working man is poor. I aint got no place in this world any more." - kind of apposite !

CAT III

merlinxx
13th Oct 2008, 16:54
'twas not yer normal Fry, too bloody 'I love your country' mode. I do love the USA, having worked for various 'Cousins' airlines/companies over the years, it feels like a second home, but it ain't me first and I don't try to ingratiate meself as he did in last nights prog. Shame, he did a disservice to himself and New England, too condescending.

Davaar
13th Oct 2008, 17:46
hope it gets better or bring back Michael Palin.

.......... Or Sarah.