PDA

View Full Version : Bless the KIWIs

lowprofilepilot
13th Oct 2008, 03:36
Air NZ pilots have new horizons

Geoffrey Thomas | October 10, 2008

AT Air New Zealand the airline doesn't want its pilots just to fly aircraft -- it wants them to be part of a team that delivers a product.
And that product is winning awards around the globe, including this year's Passenger Service Award from industry journal Air Transport World.
Air NZ general manager, airline operations, and chief pilot David Morgan is part of a new breed of management at Air NZ that is turning industry norms on their head, with management working side by side with baggage handlers and engineers or serving passengers.
"My last (frontline) shift was in engineering and I had to help change seven tyres on a 767 and the month before I was loading bags in Auckland," Morgan says.
Morgan is part of the Air NZ business transformation team that set out to reinvent the airline from the ground up.
At the same time, Morgan also took the opportunity to restructure the role of chief pilot and manager of flight operations.
"The role of chief pilot requires you from a regulatory perspective to protect the travelling public," Morgan says. "It always struck me that managers of flight operations spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with issues that are unrelated to flying and safety."
Morgan restructured the reporting lines and responsibilities so pilots now report to fleet managers.
"This leaves me to focus on the regulatory issues of the Air Operators Certificate (AOC) and business issues. I didn't get distracted by other issues," he says.
"Our pilots have a dual reporting line. For man management issues they report to their fleet managers and for policy and procedures they and the fleet managers report tome."
"I can step back and take a more holistic view."

But Morgan -- a veteran of more than 16,000 flying hours -- also has a unique way of staying in touch with his pilots.

While qualified as a 777-200ER captain, he forgoes for six months of the year the luxury of long hauls to San Francisco, Hong Kong or Vancouver to seat-of-the-pants flying as he battles New Zealand's sometimes challenging weather in 737-300s.

A typical day for Morgan would be Auckland-Wellington-Christchurch-Auckland-Christchurch-Auckland.

Morgan reflects that when he was requalifying for the 737-300 he was flying into Wellington and when he broke out of cloud at minimum standards with 65 knots of cross winds he wondered why he was not flying a gentle autoland landing into San Francisco on a 777. :ok:

The attention to detail goes further. Air NZ is part of unique club of five airlines that include an extra pilot -- called a second officer -- on the flight deck.

:8:8

stilton
13th Oct 2008, 04:36
65 knot crosswind eh ..

TWT
13th Oct 2008, 05:05
65 knots must be a typo but even the ramp can get quite windy......

YouTube - Boeing 737-800 mishap (Wellington Airport, 2008) (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=MyFeAdOwvwc)

Back to the subject at hand....

Anyone at the frontline in AirNZ have any comments ?

ix_touring
13th Oct 2008, 06:19
Talking of gas bags, did you read the comments under the clip:

Next generation 737's are problematic, winglets absorb alot of horizontal force, so the wind from that plane that took off would have pushed against the vertical surfaces ie winglets and tail and pushed the plane, Winglets are very sensitive.

iX

hetfield
13th Oct 2008, 06:36
The attention to detail goes further. Air NZ is part of unique club of five airlines that include an extra pilot -- called a second officer -- on the flight deck.

On shorthaul flights?

Gimmie a break:ugh:

Engineer_aus
13th Oct 2008, 06:37
Ok so explain why the guys on the ground were not blown over then?

Shark Slayer
13th Oct 2008, 06:44
I dont know of any transport category aircraft that have a 65 kt xw limit. I suspect that he may have meant 65 kt total wind?

Personally I've landed at various locations in the UK with 65 kt total wind, until BA came and implemented a limit of 50 kt on us.

gsf
13th Oct 2008, 06:52
hetfield: Where does it say the extra officer is used on short haul flights ?

hetfield
13th Oct 2008, 06:55
@gsf

Where does it say the second officer is for longhaule?

regards

logan
13th Oct 2008, 07:44
TWT, As an ex Kiwi i can say that 60 -65 kts is not that uncommon in WLG although not crosswind obviously. Funnly enough my experience in those winds was it was actually easier than the 45 - 55 kt range as it was so windy at 60 that the turbulence flattened out.

Also Air NZ uses second officers on the longhaul fleets only for flights over about 8 hours. Cheers

golfyankeesierra
13th Oct 2008, 07:49
So you have a chiefpilot who, besides loading bags and changing tyres and his obviously busy deskjob, both flies the B777 and B737?
I hope when he finds himself on final on one of his few flights in a triple, he is not handling the 65kts winds himself and let the F/O do it for him ;)

flatfootsam
13th Oct 2008, 08:16
An ex Kiwi? How does that work?

logan
13th Oct 2008, 08:46
4 Rugby World Cup's, thats how.

flatfootsam
13th Oct 2008, 08:54
get some bolloxs and brave it out like the rest of us instead of leaping into the life raft...you'll find it's full of poms bleating away incidently

with any luck it'll stop at 4 embarassments, but i'm not holding my breath. failing that - there's only about 6 usable airports in NZ for everyone to escape from post RWC 2011, so figure that out

no sponsor
13th Oct 2008, 08:56
I assume he went around when faced with a 65kt X-wind in an aircraft certified for a 35kt x-wind, or perhaps he thinks he's special?

gsf
13th Oct 2008, 09:09
This thread has brought to light some of that rare breed; members of Pprune who believe what journalists write about aircraft and flying.

mr Q
13th Oct 2008, 09:19
Apart from Air NZ who are the other so called elite airlines with three persons on the flightdeck??

Dysag
13th Oct 2008, 09:27
You'll probably find them on US or Europe's list of banned airlines. Start with one that still flies Soviet-era jets.

Carnage Matey!
13th Oct 2008, 10:40
I believe Qantas and Cathay also employ second officers. Most other airlines ensure all their flight crew can fly the aircraft below 10000ft :}

Rossian
13th Oct 2008, 11:16
What he really wants to try is the 13.5 hrs in economy of a 777 from San Fran to Aukland - the most uncomfortable flight of my life so far. Once the guy in the front row decided to lean his seat back it was like a row of dominoes and one finished with the IFE screen 3 inches from one's nose. AND the leg room was very tight as well. Yet the ANZ 767 AUK to Perth was great.
The Ancient Mariner

hoss
13th Oct 2008, 13:55
good on him, it could have been 65 knots crosswind at the MDA and 30 knots at the runway threshold wind direction indicator or reported from TWR.

fair game:).

nike
13th Oct 2008, 14:45
You guys crack me up.

PPRuNe needs to can all these various forums and stick everything under one.

And call it something like.....something like.....call it: jetblast.

Keep it up though, please, letterman ain't getting younger.

al446
13th Oct 2008, 17:56
Mr Q - Starship Enterprise had LOADS on f/d.

Mr.Buzzy
13th Oct 2008, 19:50
Sounds like just the kind of guy VB are looking for to fill the CP job!
Too bad this kind of disease isn't stopped by AQIS.......

bbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzz

DeltaT
13th Oct 2008, 22:06
doesn't want its pilots just to fly aircraft -- it wants them to be part of a team that delivers a product.

Perhaps he should tell his pilot recruitment people that as well, who would then take into account other attributes.

Amazing. They really are showing how behind the times they are.
Air NZ has only just discovered this "more than flying a plane" concept.
How many other airlines have had this for some time!!

Howard Hughes
13th Oct 2008, 22:24
Apart from Air NZ who are the other so called elite airlines with three persons on the flightdeck??
V Australia seem to have an awful lot of them, trouble is they don't seem to have many Captain's or F/O's!:eek:

ampan
14th Oct 2008, 01:08
Give the man a break. He has obviously been set upon by the marketing dickheads.

DeltaT
14th Oct 2008, 07:55
yes, agreed, elite marketing dickheads at that.