PDA

View Full Version : Peter Kayes Pop Factor....

boristhemini
12th Oct 2008, 21:04
Bloody funny!
The 2 up 2 down audition song of "tragedy" was a moment of comedy magic!! :D

Beatriz Fontana
12th Oct 2008, 21:21
There were too many comedy moments. Pure comic genius!

SilentHandover
12th Oct 2008, 21:24
Was it not genuine then?

snaps
12th Oct 2008, 21:57
Thought I missed it as got head like a sieve at the moment, had pneumonia for 2 weeks and need a good laugh. Now watching it...lol I would be dangerous if I had a brain cell lol

Roger Sofarover
14th Oct 2008, 10:19
I haven't seen it yet, but am looking forward to watching. A friend said it was great. What i don't understand though are the TV critics in the newspapers. One of them gave the show an absolute mauling, terming it purile etc etc I wonder if he actually watched it before writing his little piece.

Parapunter
14th Oct 2008, 10:23
I didn't think it was all that. The problem Peter Kay has for me is he set the bar so high with Phoenix nights that he'll struggle to surpass it for the rest of his career.

14th Oct 2008, 10:38
Phoenix nights!. Don`t mention Phoenix bloody nights.

Until last Saturday I had never seen a single episode of it ( I work out of the UK most of the time), then on Sat night there were multiple episodes on the TV. (E4 I think)

Out of curiosity I watched the first one, the problem then being I was still watching it at 2.30am, and I had to be up again at 7 in the morning.
It`s now going to cost me a fortune having to buy the DVD`s of the first series.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what series they are up to now?

angels
14th Oct 2008, 10:38
Busy, but had to dash in to give it a :ok::ok::ok: -- frighteningly realistic comedy which was really pure satire.

The trouble n'strife wandered in during the wheelchair act and thought it was for real.

Parapunter
14th Oct 2008, 10:52
There were two series 419, but a spin off called Max & Paddy too, which imho was of variable quality - actually not very good.

14th Oct 2008, 10:56
Thanks Para...

Ebay here I come. ( or possibly Amazon as new DVD`s on there are sometimes cheaper than used ones on ebay)

rhythm method
16th Oct 2008, 01:47
Does anyone know if it is being repeated? I only saw the first part.. didn't realise it was a 2-parter and hadn't set the sky+ box for both bits! D'oh! :ugh:

Ace Rimmer
16th Oct 2008, 08:51
Happily Mrs R had recorded it so watched the other day when I got home - absolutely brilliant - laghed my @rse off

Effluent Man
16th Oct 2008, 14:21
Although a huge fan of Phoenix Nights I found this one not quite enough of a spoof.The shows it took off are beyond parody and at times I felt as if I was watching the real thing and found it all vaguely annoying.The people they reel out in the early stages are however brilliant.For some reason there is something especially hilarious about people who think they are good when they are exercrable.

Forkandles
16th Oct 2008, 16:25
...people who think they are good when they are exercrable.

I had to look that up to see what it meant and then noticed you'd misspelt it!
Wouldn't it just have been easier to say 'shit' and avoid displaying your arse? :E

TURIN
16th Oct 2008, 21:40
Recorded it. Half way through now. Laugh out loud funny in places but some of it is a bit like watching one gag stretched to the limit.

BTW forkandles, your post gave me the biggest laugh all night. Brilliant!:ok::D

Spiritinthesky
16th Oct 2008, 22:09
The guy is just brilliant! And looks like the song will be No.1 in the UK this week.

Impress to inflate
17th Oct 2008, 06:22
Please please tell me it's on youtube. Now living overseas so miss out on so much great Brit humor. I have found Red Dwarf and some Max and Paddy on satalite but I need more.

ITI

Effluent Man
17th Oct 2008, 10:02
Forkandles, A strange thing happened there.because I had not used it for a while I checked the word in Roget's Thesaurus that I keep on my desk. Would you believe they misspelt it? It did look wrong but you tend to rely on such an erudite source.Must be a moral there somewhere.

cockney steve
19th Oct 2008, 21:30
EM... That't 'cos you are using a cheap knockoff copy......go knock on monsr. Roget's tombstone and tell him:}

Effluent Man
20th Oct 2008, 10:04
It's the full fat one..bought in 1975 when I was at college.Interestingly in the back alphabetical listing it is spelt incorrectly,however when referring to the synonyms section it is correct without the first "R". I used the word because I feel that it relates specifically to a poor performance in an artistic sense rather than just bad per se.Of course I was also trying to be clever and erudite to impress a couple of hundred people who don't know who I am and will never meet.And even if I did they would think I was Earl Hickey's elder,less bright brother.

Forkandles
20th Oct 2008, 11:29
Well, it impressed me.
Keeping to the tradition of the spelling/grammar police on here, I fancied being the smug prick to point out what no one really gives a shit about anyway. I apologise for being an arse.

Have people really gone out and bought that record though?

Effluent Man
20th Oct 2008, 13:22
I didnt watch to the end,so don't know what "that" record is.As for your post,no offence taken,everything is fair game on here.

I did wonder if PK might do a third series of Phoenix Nights.I think the standard of both series was very high. OK there were a few chestnuts but the absurdity of two guys singing in ASDA about corned beef and a talent show contestant on a Honda 50 dressed in Bacofoil in homage to Gary Glitter really were the apex of comedy.

Parapunter
20th Oct 2008, 13:40
It was done with such a nice touch Phoenix nights, my personal high point among so many was on opening night as the women at the front of the crowd are jostling and complaining.

Paddy advises Max over the ridiculous headsets to 'punch her in the nose' and just for a split second, Max looks down at this woman and you just know he's thinking about it. Great stuff.

Effluent Man
20th Oct 2008, 13:48
I never picked up on that.One of the joys of PN was that it was watchable over and over again,never getting any less funny and each time throwing up some little gem that you missed the time before.I will watch out for that next time.