PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Exhibition Category - FAA

R1Tamer
12th Oct 2008, 19:19
Okay, first off I'm being a little lazy here but bear with me please.

It's been a couple of years since I last flew in the US and my FAR/AIM is outdated and at the back of a storage unit. I'm trying to find out a little about Special Airworthness Certificates specifically in the Experimental Exhibition Category. What does this type of Certification mean for an aircraft and its operator?

I started by looking here;
Experimental Category (http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/airworthiness_certification/sp_awcert/experiment/)

but it became like one of those spaghetti trails when trying to follow it to conclusion. Perhaps someone familiar with these could help me out with a couple of pointers for more reading or better still some personal comments/advice/experience in this field.

Is this a restrictive category and if so in what ways?

Many thanks

R1tamer

Shawn Coyle
13th Oct 2008, 15:41
Unless my memory fails me it's for manufacturers to demonstrate their products to potential customers and at airshows.

TheMonk
13th Oct 2008, 17:12
I've seen ex mil helis operated under experimental exibition.

Monk

Darkhorse30
14th Oct 2008, 14:11
You won't find it in the FAR/AIM. Its in part 21 and says "Exhibiting the aircraft's flight capabilities, performance, or unusual characteristics at air shows, motion picture, television, and similar productions, and the maintenance of exhibition flight proficiency, including (for persons exhibiting aircraft) flying to and from such air shows and productions."
I have operated Hueys for several TV and one movie using this Experimental certification.

Rich Lee
15th Oct 2008, 23:42
If you don't want to wade through Part 21, airworthiness information in an easy to read and understand format is contained in an FAA document with the title "Plane Sense". The 2008 version of that document can be downloaded from the FAA website.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/media/faa-h-8083-19.pdf