PDA

View Full Version : WestAir Sweden acquire Atlantic Airlines

brucehornsby1
12th Oct 2008, 14:27
Reliably informed, anyone with more news?

Bounceonland
12th Oct 2008, 20:59
What is going on with Atlantic then?

Vanheden
14th Oct 2008, 09:53
Currently employed at West Air Sweden. We haven´t heard anything suggesting a take-over. Allthough pilots always seemes to be the last to know. My suggestion, ask the fuelguy. They always have a heads-up on upcoming changes.

6amtime4bed
15th Oct 2008, 21:27
or the crew bus driver

Blue Coyote
16th Oct 2008, 06:57
Well, either everyone has been sworn to secrecy or perhaps you were not so reliably informed.
:}

Vanheden
16th Oct 2008, 10:25
Our union has posted an enquiry to our management (West Air Sweden) to see if there is any veracity to these rumours. It will be interesting to hear their reply. If they bother giving any...

I´ll keep you posted...

Magic Man
16th Oct 2008, 10:53
:oh: Schhh.... I will let you all know the 12th of Jan. Until then fly safe!
A 380f Coventry-Isle of Man

Vanheden
17th Oct 2008, 06:00
West Air Sweden has denied any takeover of Atlantic. Apparently the two companies are planning for a close cooperation over the coming year/years. Sort of an affair...

gator bait
18th Oct 2008, 12:39
I have been told that a letter is going out to all Atlantic Airlines employees warning of possible redundancies!

GB

brucehornsby1
18th Oct 2008, 12:47
Already been sent out. And there will be redundancies!!
Might be interesting how they sort this one out.:suspect:

spider_man
19th Oct 2008, 00:43
Which fleet?

x933
19th Oct 2008, 22:02
My money is on the inexperienced electra guys - sad though it is they're just not flying...

...the Westair buyout rumour has been doing the rounds in some way/shape/form since RL had hair...

bermudatriangle
19th Oct 2008, 22:31
anyone got any serious info on this rumour ?? both with ATP fleets,cooperation would seem like a positive move.as for takeovers,that's a different ballgame.

argon18
20th Oct 2008, 16:27
Guys possibly being made redundant makes your day??!!

why on earth would you say that?

Vanheden
22nd Oct 2008, 14:07
However, West Air claims that together with Atlantic we will be the only ATP operators left. I wonder, are we about to acquire Nextjet who currently operates 4 ATP´s in pax-conversion flying domestic routes in Sweden? Hmm, I wonder...

What do you say Magic Man? Does this have anything to do with the 12th of january perhaps...

Johnny F@rt Pants
22nd Oct 2008, 14:54
Don't Sata in the Azores still run their fleet, or have I lost touch:confused:

cmf146
22nd Oct 2008, 21:59
I suppose technically they could be correct, with the 3 x NexJet and the 1 x Airgo leased from West Air, however Air Acores still have theirs for now - due to be replaced by ATR's next year however.

david_england285
22nd Oct 2008, 22:17
Hi there,

Im about to move to Sweden and finish my ATPL; do you know if West air would be interested in me as a ATPL f pilot?

Rgds,

David

MrATP
23rd Oct 2008, 22:03
Stay on topic please, it was just getting interresting.. :ok:

turbroprop
24th Oct 2008, 14:45
Hello MrATP

There seems to be several threads in here that are interesting in their own way. Which one are you interested in?:rolleyes:

Jr. Ewing
24th Oct 2008, 20:59
How about the topic.

turbroprop
28th Oct 2008, 21:11
:confused: What deal?

marsipulami
28th Oct 2008, 21:20
Be patient, check press tomorrow.

Freight Expectations
29th Oct 2008, 10:13
Merger news is confirmed by Air Cargo News today. See link.

Air Cargo News :: Latest Air Cargo News (http://www.aircargonews.net/article.asp?art_id=3735)

Freight Expectations
29th Oct 2008, 10:28
News is confirmed today by Air Cargo News. See link below:

Air Cargo News :: Latest Air Cargo News (http://www.aircargonews.net/article.asp?art_id=3735)

JennyB
29th Oct 2008, 11:20
Looking at the new board appointments, think we can see "who's the daddy" in that relationship...

gator bait
29th Oct 2008, 14:57
hmm, doesn`t seem like the 2 UK guys will be around for long-if past experience is anything to go by.

Any news yet on the proposed redundancies? A friend of mine in Westair Lux seems to think all Uk based crews at risk due to heavy unionisation on the continent.

My best wishes to all those involved, but just a thought for the management. If one of the previous posts is correct and time served in the company does not count when drawing up redundancy criteria, then surely it will speed up the exit of those that are selected to remain as there is no security that length of service used to provide. Might just be a bit short sighted?

There are jobs out there and one of Atlantics captains is joining us in the private jet market ( the second in about 4 months).

GB

turbo.pilot
29th Oct 2008, 18:36
SWEDEN’S WEST AIR EUROPE AND UK’s ATLANTIC AIRLINES WILL MERGE TO FORM EUROPE’S LARGEST REGIONAL AIR CARGO CARRIER
West Air Europe of Gothenburg (Sweden) and Atlantic Airlines of Coventry (UK) – two of Europe’s most experienced regional air cargo airlines – are to merge to form West Atlantic, creating Europe’s largest all cargo regional carrier.
The owners of both privately-owned companies will exchange shareholdings to create the new entity, which will have its administrative headquarters in Gothenburg. West Atlantic will have a combined annual turnover of some €125 million, will employ some 500 people, and have a fleet of 41 BAE Systems 8-tonne ATP Freighters, one ATR-72 also of 8-tonne capacity, six 15-tonne Lockheed Electra and two 7-tonne capacity Bombardier CRJ200PF.
The board of West Atlantic consists of:
Chairman Göran Berglund Chief Executive Officer Gustaf Thureborn Managing Director Tony Auld Sales & Operations Director Russell Ladkin Non-Executive Director Jörgen Arnemar
Atlantic Airlines, West Air Sweden and West Air Luxembourg of the West Air Europe holding company will continue to trade separately as at present, although under the merged ownership certain key services such as maintenance will be organised centrally.
The airlines are independently very solid and although operating exclusively in the European feeder air cargo sector, they are nevertheless very complementary. The West Air Europe airlines are very strong in the Scandinavian postal markets, whilst Atlantic Airlines matches this strength in the UK postal sector and the containerised conveyance of cargo. Both sets of airlines already work extensively for the Integrator & Express sector, but with different customers.
Announcing the formation of West Atlantic today, Gustaf Thureborn said: “We have joined forces to create this major new business as we wish to be the finest provider of efficient, cost-effective and reliable regional cargo airline services in Europe. Whilst the merger will create opportunities for spreading our risks and achieving efficiencies through economies of scale, we look forward to becoming an even more effective and reliable supplier to our customers.”
Russell Ladkin, Sales & Operations Director, added that the total focus on the regional airfreight market in Europe would continue. He said: “We are enjoying complementary strengths in the management team and are very fortunate to have the quality of staff needed to achieve our objectives.”
Apart from its Gothenburg headquarters, West Atlantic will continue to operate from its overhaul and maintenance facility in Sweden, the recently-acquired European Aviation Maintenance at Ronaldsway on the Isle of Man and the Coventry base where Atlantic Airlines has its operations and maintenance facility.
Both sets of airlines have been in business for many years and have great expertise in the European regional freight market. Atlantic Airlines was an MBO from the Air Atlantique Group itself established in 1969. West Air Sweden started flying in 1962, commenced cargo operations in 1991 and undertook a major expansion into Swedish overnight mail services in 1996 and similarly in Norway in 2006. West Air Luxembourg commenced operations in 2003 and operates nine of the West Air Europe aircraft, mainly on integrator contracts.

straightnotlevel
31st Oct 2008, 16:56
nice of atlantic to keep us all posted, i heard from a guy in the pub that my airline was no more !!

thanks very much !!

magicman2009
31st Oct 2008, 20:30
I found out from a ramp loader! Checked the Internet and found a picture of our management shaking hands with two Swedish blokes.

Russell Ladkin, Sales & Operations Director, added that the total focus on the regional airfreight market in Europe would continue. He said: “We are enjoying complementary strengths in the management team and are very fortunate to have the quality of staff needed to achieve our objectives.

Is this the same staff you can't even be bothered to inform? It's nice to feel valued! Like straightnotlevel said THANKS VERY MUCH........

SnakesInPlanesss
31st Oct 2008, 21:03
Thanks a lot Russell and Tony - very nice of you to let us find out in the pub, on the internet and from ramp guys.

AND... on the same day that you had 9 pilots lined up in the boardroom for the big redundancy charade. Good times, eh!?

More importantly though, we mustn't forget to thank Jake for his preselection of the lucky 9.

Quality of staff you say? Good to see you treating them well! :D

Morale is now officially at an all time high, woo-hoo!

We're so grateful.

SiPsss

greuzi
31st Oct 2008, 21:16
Before I post, I want to clarify that I have no interest in either airline, nor am I a customer or service provider. My interest in Atlantic(que) started with the DC3. Enough said. Am an airplane guy. I lived nearby.

As the voice of neutrality I would suggest that this is the best solution for all. Best solution overall...and recent economic issues make it airtight.

There are only so many ATP's in the world. Combining the whole fleet allows network rotation through the maintenance facility and let's not forget that without the An derivatives in Europe, the ATP is now the best a/c in Europe in its payload/range bracket. The position of the fleet is now very strong as integrators look to remove cost from their networks from 21t jets to 7-8t routes by air, carrying the premium express product. No competitive pricing to face.

Integrators are now reviewing their networks, facing decreasing volumes by air. With the association of forwarders they now have access to huge volumes overall and huge trucking networks. In the current climate there are trucking routes that will work but there are also routes and service delivery that can be only be met by air...and not with a B7.... but with an ATP.

Disregard the doom about sentiment and look forward to the real possibilty that this group becomes the dominant force in European short-haul integrator volume in the next decade.

SnakesInPlanesss
31st Oct 2008, 21:43
Greuzi

How wonderful of you to drop by with your cute little light-hearted airline economics lecture.

It's lovely to know that the voice of neutrality lived nearby with all those fluffy, white, cuddly notions of payload/range-bracket-integrator-premium-express-DC3-rotating-maintenance-trucker-thingies.

I now feel it my duty to take your advice, putting doom and sentiment to one side, and to ask this question:-

Did your abacus/spreadsheet/calculator not tell you that the airplanes need pilots to fly them?

Doh! Beancounters!

SiPsss

greuzi
31st Oct 2008, 22:05
Mr grumpy snake thing. Really am totally neutral. Is up to you if you use your doubt to leverage your anger.

If you want L-188's then buy them and make it work. The type doesn't work economically. They would have gone 10 years ago if your management hadn't done such a good job over the years.

Three questions?

1. Are you still employed by Atlantic and have an interest?
2. Do you agree with the strategy or not? If not, what is your solution?
3. How would you place the ATP's in the marketplace? Charter only? Schedules only? Mix?

Answers in your next message?

SnakesInPlanesss
1st Nov 2008, 00:54
Greuzi

If you want L-188's then buy them and make it work. The type doesn't work economically. They would have gone 10 years ago if your management hadn't done such a good job over the years.

So it was just management that made it work, eh? No pilots involved?

You seem to forget the dedicated and very skilled guys sitting at the front of these machines - and the geniuses of engineering who maintain them.

My Electra colleagues are losing their jobs under VERY dodgy circumstances here at Atlantic, so you'll have to excuse my anger. And, as you have probably guessed by now, I am NOT here to discuss ATP strategy.

Perhaps you should go back to the press release and see that the merger includes SIX Lockheed Electras - you say they "don't work economically"! What nonsense!

Regarding management, one thing is certain after this merger - the UK side won't last long unless they ditch the xenophobia and get a grip on what it means to be a professional.

SiPsss

Skystar320
1st Nov 2008, 05:43
What I don't get is the CRJ-200F aircraft? Does this small type of aircraft work economically?

straightnotlevel
1st Nov 2008, 09:16
have 9 guys got the axe for sure then??

sad indeed if true.....

maybe crews will be keener to join BALPA after recent events, ready for next time??

how many going on the engineering side? ops? and the long suffering fugs??

any managers been axed i wonder?

LittleSnake
1st Nov 2008, 10:54
My mum says that my dad says he'll stop anyone posting things he doesn't like here! :ugh:

Apparently, one of our more vocal contributors has had his posts blocked for 'moderator approval'.

Mods: is there something going on?

LS

hingey
1st Nov 2008, 20:10
Snakes, I whole- heartedly agree with your comment about the engineers and pilots doing a fantastic job on getting the machines around the sky, but IMHO Greuzi has a point; management have done a fantastic job in employing crew and engineers who get the job done. Engineering, crewing, ops and have seemingly always been understaffed, but they've kept the ship afloat. So from managements POV, why employ more?

Little Snake, just don't make any comments on Facebook!

h

Yorky Towers
1st Nov 2008, 23:24
'My mum says that my dad says he'll stop anyone posting things he doesn't like here'

She also said "get back down that hole LS otherwise you won't grow up to be a Big Snake!":p

Hogg
2nd Nov 2008, 09:13
Snake

Probationary Pruners require posts approved until a certain amount of legible and on topic posts are posted. Its merely a filter.

Nobody stopping posts so tell ure friend not to be paranoid ;)

tankerdriver101
6th Nov 2008, 10:55
I think it will be an excellent move for both companies. They both need to survive somehow!

Tonka Toy
6th Nov 2008, 23:44
Just a question, -what happens to the spray Electras?

FougaMagister
11th Nov 2008, 21:12
Errrr... wouldn't the reason be that they are fully staffed already?
http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/factfile.php?id=uqkjkgj8bej6ffmbhg1g1m27t8qg998tnf1vn7rm9zge 3re8x5e

Cheers :cool:

greuzi
13th Nov 2008, 13:27
Snakes...I must add that you are right. It has also been crews and engineers as well as ops etc. etc.

My comment only referred to the management as they were the ones being criticised at the time.

Of course success is a team effort.

Riverboat
15th Nov 2008, 13:10
There is a continuing assumption that Westair have bought Atlantic Airlines. my understanding is that 1) it is a merger, and a REAL merger where the sum of the parts will be greater than each individual part, and 2) it is not complete yet.

I have read the press release and see that the key positions will be shared between the 2 airlines. It looks like a good move to me.

Neither wants to eliminate the other: the reason for the merger is to end up stronger in a world where small operators struggle to compete. Whatever one thinks about this, it is a fact.

Riverboat

greuzi
15th Nov 2008, 14:01
Is a merger. Not a takeover. Tony and Russell on the board.

seagull
23rd Nov 2008, 09:48
Interesting times. 9 pilots made redundant while the bosses sign a merger.:E
Typical atlantic,i also believe the strategy for redundancy was something to behold as well.!!!!
The electras make the money,they cant afford to buy jets,so a merger was inevitable.
Do your hours,GET OUT. always been the atlantic way.
Sorry for the guys involved
(smoke in the cockpit?)
:\:}

brucehornsby1
23rd Nov 2008, 12:49
Interesting times indeed.
Less than 24 hours after making the last Electra Pilot redundant, an e-mail goes out informing that 8 positions are available for the ATP fleet.
By all accounts, those made redundant are now having to apply to attend an interview for their jobs back. How do those involved really think the company is going to get away with this. Making Pilots jobs redundant one minute then announcing that "miracle of all miracles, we`ve found some cash to expand ". Highly suspect, ATPer`s beware. Get some union recognition and quick.!!

TheFlyingMonkey
24th Nov 2008, 15:55
So does anybody know what this means for the highly regarded cadet scheme then? I assume, as this is a merger and not a takeover, that operations will remain in Coventry for the foreseeable future to deal with the UK market. Therefore, still good demand for fuglies? Although, I notice people saying everyone in Coventry is at risk...

Multiflight, who have taken over the training from AFT, have told me the scheme is now on hold "while they are restructuring", but are still accepting applications.

hingey
25th Nov 2008, 16:58
...highly regarded...

HA! So thats how they advertise it.

SnakesInPlanesss
1st Dec 2008, 12:26
7 out of the 9 Electra pilots selected for redundancy got the boot. And, as someone already posted, Atlantic advertised 8 ATP vacancies less than a day later.

I heard a rumour that someone had seen the invoices for the ATP courses - and they showed that payment was made BEFORE the redundancies were made! So much for the magic funding.

Can anyone confirm the rumour? Would be interesting to those of us going to an Employment Tribunal.

Shame on you Atlantic Airlines.

SiPsss

TheFlyingMonkey
2nd Dec 2008, 19:01
I suppose it sort of makes business sense though, they can pay the cadets a lot less than the experienced Electra pilots (£22k base according to pilotjobsnetwork.com). Also, the cadets that would have recently "graduated" would have had their ATPLs fully sponsored by Atlantic Airlines, so to make that worthwhile for AA they might as well employ them!

I agree, probably doesnt justify giving the electra guys the boot, but isnt working for Atlantic Airlines all about doing your time then getting out? as I saw someone write. Agree not the best time to get out though!

Yak97
19th Dec 2008, 08:30
What are Atlantic going to do with their new toy?

Balair
19th Dec 2008, 09:24
Could the Atlantic B737-300 be linked with the UPS rumour?

AircraftOperations
19th Dec 2008, 15:24
Thought they were swapping Electras for ATPs as the Electra loads were gradually reducing, making a +10t capacity unecessary?

JennyB
19th Dec 2008, 16:07
"Could the Atlantic B737-300 be linked with the UPS rumour?"

Not unless UPS are now into horses? Perhaps the Pony Express??

cvt person
19th Dec 2008, 18:17
Just might have something to do with horsepower;)

x933
19th Dec 2008, 18:44
The ATP's nearly put Atlantic under when they came. Lets hope they have more luck with the B737...

Yorky Towers
20th Dec 2008, 07:05
'The ATP's nearly put Atlantic under when they came.'

What a load of old rubbish. What is it with you and Atlantic? :8

argon18
20th Dec 2008, 12:54
Electra's aren't being replaced by ATPs. The ATP is doing a good job of getting new contracts/routes for itself. The mighty Electra, whilst a little quieter than the summer, is still in demand and taking 10t+ from customers.

under the radar
30th Dec 2008, 10:39
New ATP start up scheduled pax operation SE asia...looking for up to 6 RATED ATP captains...1st a/c ex Asian Spirit.... 2nd and third a/c ex Emerald...JEMC and JEMA.for more info PM poster

CargoOne
30th Dec 2008, 19:47
ATP pax start up in SE Asia? I'm afraid they will not be able to cope too long with ATP reliability & BAe style of support...

under the radar
31st Dec 2008, 11:21
Go peddle your doom and gloom somehere else you miserable worm......Ive been in this industry for 50 yrs and stains like you are a dime a dozen....hope the rest of your life is as miserable as its been to date.......

CargoOne
1st Jan 2009, 09:44
under the radar

I'm in this business for a bit less than 50 years but I have first hand experience with ATP and BAe Systems, so I know what I'm talking about. Nothing to do with doom and gloom. ATR72 could look expensive on the first look, but not after you actually started to operate ATP...

Atlantic and WestAir are a bit of a different story, they managed to grow up to the size where you not much dependant from TC Holder and doing most of the things in house.

Ask First Flight Couriers what they think about BAe & ATP...

portsharbourflyer
1st Jan 2009, 13:19
Spoke to one of the Engineers the other day that was involved in the development of the BAe ATP, and he referred to the ATP as standing for Another Technical Problem.

CirrusF
8th Jan 2009, 10:20
I see that Atlantic Aviation are seeking to recruit an Ops Officer and Ops Assistant (see totaljobs.com). Presumably not all doom and gloooom then...

lgp
8th Apr 2009, 07:30
Any news about the merge with West Air and Atlantic?:ugh:

dixi188
9th Apr 2009, 09:10
I saw an ATP in west air colours with WEST ATLANTIC name on the side at EMA last week end.

Nakata77
11th Apr 2009, 06:55
British Aerospace BAe ATP, G-BTPH, West Atlantic Airlines (AAG) (http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1167490/)

this link shows the new west atlantic colours. ATP on Bournemouth's new ramp.

Leofric
7th May 2009, 17:21
Atlantic Airlines B733 just working Coventry Radar, inbound on delivery (at last)