PDA

View Full Version : CSWAFC vs SFC vs STATA

CRJ-220
12th Oct 2008, 07:47
Hi I've recently saw the ad at afap about they are recruiting instructors. Just wondering if anyone has more information about them? Working condition, salary, progression to multi engine etc? anyone currently working there or know it well ?
I ran a search for it but it appears to be the threads are more than 2 years old. So I'd like to get some fresh infos about them as I assume things might be different now.

As for working there which school is better to work for as instructor? Considering all the things above it. As far as I researched my conclusion was both schools are paying above average(but recent ad for CSWA was offering flying allowances so maybe liittle higher) both build hours pretty quickly (600hr/yr) As for living location SFC is better because its near perth than Merriden. I read something that multi progression will be faster at SFC.... not so sure if that is true.

Johnny_56
13th Oct 2008, 01:38
Mate,

I can only talk about SFC - conditions are pretty good, well maintained aircraft and reasonably switched on students. Pay is pretty **** - just the award (about 33k for G3) + possibility of a bonus depending on how the airline goes - so probably not so much this year.

If you're looking for money you can get more elsewhere on the field. In terms of multi progression it isn't too bad if you have 50hrs Multi command time as required which the company won't help you with. As far as i remember they don't pay for any upgrades either.

cheers

Johnny

TSIO540
13th Oct 2008, 04:17
Hi,

I used to work at CSWAFC a couple of years ago and still hear bits and pieces from people still there. Since the new CP and CFI have taken over things have changed a little for the better re $$$ but the chinese 'over-seer' still puts a pretty tight grip on the $$.

As for working conditions you'll easily do the 600hrs a year. You'll have the option of working in either Jandakot or Merredin for S/E and Jandakot for M/E instructing. When I was at CSWAFC, Merredin was the popular spot with a great group of blokes/chicks out there and the extra $$$ was good too. Flying with international students can be frustrating at times but you'll come away with some hilarious stories.

As I understand it, there is now minimal assistance with using company a/c to get your 50hrs ME because they were pretty busy last I heard. If you do have your 50Hrs multi and grade one (a few exceptions were made for experienced grade twos) then you simply have to wait for seniority to move on to the twins full time - rack up your 500hrs and bugger off - quite easy!

The Jandakot roster was a little tiring because of the constant rotation and changing start times. 14 day roster with 5 on, 2 off, 4 on, 2 off repeating every 14 weeks and start times in summer varying from 5am up to 11am every day. Don't know if this is still the case because phase one (jandakot S/E ops) have been scaled down a bit since I was there.

It is a good place to get your foot in the door for instructing and if you hang around you'll get your 1500TT and 500ME command reasonably quickly, slide into a turbo prop and hello J*/VB/QF etc. The other bonus with choosing a larger school like CSWAFC or SFC is that you'll be exposed to a better network of pilots as people move through - that makes finding out about and getting the next job much easier :ok:

Hope this helps.

TSIO540

Ozgrade3
13th Oct 2008, 05:10
While your at it, consider MFTA at Mangalore.

Pay is only award, something the troops are a little miffed about, resulting in many departures to higher paying gigs. Lots of flying however, some guys are pushing 90 hrs a month. We're a shoe string opeation, dont have the resources of the bigger places in WA and SA. Fleet is a ragtag fleet of borrowd Warriors, Arrows, Seminoles and a C-90, but is slowly on the improve.

Instructors can live in an instructor house in Seymour for nics, just have to pay the utilities. However if you want to live on your ownm rent around here is quite cheap.

The flying staff is top notch and a quite a socialble group, we frequently have dinning nights out during the week at one of the numerous eateries round the region.

Upgrades are paid for by the company and you can do ICUS to build your command time for the 50. Its just a matter of getting the nod. Its a fairly relaxed working environment that puts a premium on self reliance and responsibility. Also, istructors are sent to China for 2 week trips to work in the university to select future cadets.

We're allways looking for instructors, team players who are willing to put in. Fly, teach theory, drive the bus. Do what everit takes to get the job done. No room here for prima donnas here.

Unlike some I schools I have heared about, the students and instrucots get on exceptionally well. I have several invites to China to attend weddings of former students.

If anyone wants some further info, PM me.

aileron_69
13th Oct 2008, 05:19
I dont really know anything about any of those places, or even what some of them are, but could I just say Holy Cr&p that is a lot of acronyms in one title!!!
:E

CRJ-220
13th Oct 2008, 09:09
thanks guys for your help.