PDA

View Full Version : An African Aborted Take-off in Direct!!

JanetFlight
11th Oct 2008, 22:14
Hi Guys:)

Fortunately all ended up well without any victims...but it's an Hell of a Video »»»

YouTube - Ilyushin IL-18 Aborted take off (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogb69OBceRI)

Great Balls of Fire..:rolleyes:

Luanda Airport, IL-18, Alada(Alada Empresa de Transportes Aereos), D2-FFR.

Cheers;)

mwafrika
11th Oct 2008, 23:08
All's well that ends well. That's quite scary. Seems like he was having a hard time keeping it on the center line.

Sir Richard
11th Oct 2008, 23:09
Excellent use of "dry powder" extinguisher.

fleigle
11th Oct 2008, 23:53
Looks like he also had a little bit of a tailwind component.

Juvent
12th Oct 2008, 01:39
Event took place at Cabinda Airport .
Brakemarks extend from one third down the runway.
Overloading and forgotten control locks can possibly be used in the incident analysis.
Only thing thay prevented aircraft from bursting through the perimeter fence and into residential shanty town was newly graded overrun area. Stood there for a week while they tried to figure out what to do.

Wyle E Coyote
12th Oct 2008, 03:26
I love how quickly the crowd forms..... it brings it all back.

even the guys in the fire truck have no idea what to do.

popobawa
12th Oct 2008, 09:47
Hey Bozo

I guess you have never been to Luanda or Cabinda;

Anybody can copy a video

bucket_and_spade
12th Oct 2008, 10:00
Seems like he was having a hard time keeping it on the center line.

If you're talking about that last bit in the sand - that area looks like the stopway at the end of the runway, not an area off the side of the runway!

Avman
12th Oct 2008, 11:17
even the guys in the fire truck have no idea what to do.

Strange comment to make since, in the clip, the fire truck is only just arriving. Quite a quick response I thought. Some posters just look for negative things to say.

mwafrika
12th Oct 2008, 13:25
@bucket and spade. I'm talking about from the beginning of the roll till applying the brakes.

bucket_and_spade
12th Oct 2008, 15:14
Just intrigued - what makes you think he's struggling to keep it straight? The centreline isn't clear, the rudder isn't swinging wildly from left to right and the trees look pretty still.

Having said that, maybe you've got better eyesight than me!

planecrazi
12th Oct 2008, 16:59
Having been to Cabinda, and taken a few holes through the fuselage at night, 15-16 years ago, these guys were very lucky indeed.

It would be interesting to know the reason for the rejected take-off and the over run?

Mind you, reverse is not taken into consideration in our performance and the IL-18 has no reverse thrust only ground fine.I am not sure how Russian performance is certified or calculated,

This is one very good video, if ever I have seen one about a RTO.

JanetFlight
12th Oct 2008, 19:11
This is one very good video, if ever I have seen one about a RTO.

Here you can have another Russian RTO, also without injuries, but a lil'bit more scary..:ooh:

YouTube - Tu-134 crash (full version) (http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=xX_yB3mKdUg)

My Apologies..Yeap, it was in Cabinda, not Luanda:)

antic81
12th Oct 2008, 21:46
Hi Janet,

Are you sure there were no injuries?
That looks like it was a feight flight, had it been carrying freight of the self loading sort, then I fear there would have certainly been fatalities.

I do love the optimism of the chap with the hand held extinguisher.

Ant

JanetFlight
12th Oct 2008, 22:03
Hi Antic :)

I've been told that were no Injuries by some Friends of mine living in Angola!

mwafrika
12th Oct 2008, 22:56
Hard to believe there were no injuries. You'd be lucky to have no fatalities, even if its a freighter, on an accident of that nature. Seems like Eng 1 flamed out at Vr. Anyone have any info if this was a dual failure? I'm no expert investigator but if No. 2 was still running fine, overloading could be the reason why it lifted off then came back down again. It barely made it 5ft in the air. You can see the smoke from the tires making contact with the tarmac near the end of the runway.

JanetFlight
12th Oct 2008, 23:42
I was talking about the IL18 video in Angola...that last one posted by me its a TU134 in Russia, operated by Russian Navy and no, its not a freight...

unstable load
13th Oct 2008, 07:45
Part of the rather excited yelling at the end mentions "it was heavy" so that could indicate overloaded.
From memory, planes in Angolsh tend to be loaded according to volume rather than weight.

flyems
13th Oct 2008, 08:54
Maybe just a splash of a tailwind as well?

lingasting
14th Oct 2008, 04:57
Ah the IL-18

Over 30 years ago, Interflug, the old east German flag carrier used to operate a schedule service between Khartoum and Addis. Departure times were always about 14.00 LT IIRC. What will stay with me for life is when they took off at +45oc + it was NOT a pretty sight. The things used to disappear, ON the horizon in a cloud of black smoke.:}

Golf_Seirra
14th Oct 2008, 19:33
Is it my imagination, but there seems to be no dust been blown up ( or more importantly, forward ) due to the props been in reverse.....nice brake fire though.

Why is it the poor co-joe has to stick his neck out...:}

Romeo E.T.
14th Oct 2008, 22:21
but there seems to be no dust been blown up ( or more importantly, forward ) due to the props been in reverse.....

no reverse thrust available on that aircraft or those engines;);)

mwafrika
14th Oct 2008, 23:58
Over 30 years ago, Interflug, the old east German flag carrier used to operate a schedule service between Khartoum and Addis. Departure times were always about 14.00 LT IIRC. What will stay with me for life is when they took off at +45oc + it was NOT a pretty sight. The things used to disappear, ON the horizon in a cloud of black smoke.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gifNo pun intended but I did see on the history channel an Interflug a/c take off and disappear from the screen in its own smoke. Granted the pictures were in black and white.