PDA

View Full Version : RAF Navigator recovers remains of comrade 64 years later.

GreenKnight121
11th Oct 2008, 21:11
The RAF bomber pilot who recovered the body of the co-pilot he lost on Berlin raid 60 years ago | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1075812/The-RAF-bomber-pilot-single-handedly-recovered-body-pilot-comrade-lost-Berlin-raid-60-years-ago.html)

Crammed together in their unwieldy aircraft and utterly dependent on one another, the bomber crews of the Second World War forged friendships that often only death could break.

Which is why Pilot Officer Reg Wilson never forgot the night more than 60 years ago when he lost two friends in the night skies over Germany.

As he entered his old age - the memories of his youth perhaps more powerful than ever - Mr Wilson began a quest to find their remains.

Yesterday he told how at last he had succeeded in finding one of those friends, flight engineer Sergeant John Bremner, and finally laying him to rest.
Sergeant Bremner will be buried with full honours at the Heerstrasse War Cemetery in Berlin next Thursday.

'It's only right that John is honoured,' said Mr Wilson, of Chigwell, Essex.

'Thousands of good men, like John, lost their lives. It must not be forgotten. It will be an emotional, but happy, day.'

Sergeant Bremner died aged 21 on the night of January 20, 1944, when 800 aircraft raided the German capital.

Among the 27 aircraft lost was Halifax LW337 from 102 Squadron based at RAF Pocklington near York.

The aircraft - nicknamed Old Flo by her eight-man crew - was heading for home when she was hit by anti-aircraft fire.

Another survivor from Old Flo, rear-gunner Sergeant John Bushell, 84, said: 'It burst into flames from wing tip to wing tip.
'I was thrown out after hitting my head on a gun. I came to in free-fall and managed to pull the chute.'

Both he and pilot Mr Wilson, along with bomber aimer Flying Officer Laurie Underwood, now 86, and pilot Flying Officer George Griffiths survived and became prisoners of war.
The bodies of second pilot Sergeant Kenneth Stanbridge and wireless operator Pilot Officer Eric Church were buried after the war.

But Sergeant Bremner and gunner Warrant Officer Charles Dupueis were never found.
Mr Wilson, 85, a former management consultant, began his search for answers in 2005 when he travelled to Berlin with his daughter, Janet Hughes, 46, who speaks fluent German.
They met local historians and witnesses and the next year, he returned and found the wreckage with the help of a team of volunteers using metal detectors.
Final confirmation that the remains belonged to Sergeant Bremner, of Elswich, Northumberland, arrived after a DNA sample was taken from his sister Marjorie, 89, who will also attend his burial.

Mr Underwood, of Wetherby, West Yorkshire, is too ill to go and Mr Griffiths died in 1998.

A Royal British Legion spokesman said Mr Wilson's quest 'spoke of the searing and life-long impact of service in the armed services. People don't put away their war memories easily.'
Some 55,500 young men of Bomber Command died during the war.

Last night Mr Bushell, of Oakley, Bedfordshire, added: 'My abiding memory of John is singing our hearts out together at a piano bar in York. He was a war hero who gave his life for his country.'

Posted here as well as Historic because they are Military Aviators, darn it!!

Guzlin Adnams
11th Oct 2008, 21:19
Rest in peace friend. We're all in his debt.
Well done to all those involved.

cazatou
12th Oct 2008, 16:34
Would anyone have some unused Training Hours?

Perhaps QCS could provide a Guard of Honour?

REMAINS WILL CONTINUE TO BE FOUND - BUT THE SANDS OF TIME ARE RUNNING OUT FOR THEIR COMRADES TO BURY THEM WITH HONOUR AND TO MOURN FOR THEM.

taxydual
12th Oct 2008, 19:01
Tears came into my eyes when I read this thread. Mates, Pals whatever, Thank God we have them.

You can take the man out of the RAF, But you can't take the RAF out of the man.

Thank You, John Bremner. RIP.

Topsy Turvey
12th Oct 2008, 21:30
"Perhaps QCS could provide a Guard of Honour?"

QCS are playing a full part in the Ceremony. The MoD/RAF have also arranged for relatives of Sgt Bremmner, Reg Wilson and others related to the crew members to be taken to Germany at public expense.

exscribbler
13th Oct 2008, 15:26
Taxydual: I'm afraid I leaked from the eyes, too.

Sgt Bremner was killed a couple of months before I was born; he was 21 years old which was about the average age for these men. We must never forget their sacrifice - so, Gordon, where's the medal?