PDA

View Full Version : Nanny State

stagger
11th Oct 2008, 21:08
Call to ban junk food from NHS (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7664355.stm)

"Hospitals and GP surgeries should follow the lead of schools and ban sugary drinks and snacks, say experts."

Personally, if I'm having emergency surgery at 3am and the surgeon feels he/she needs a Mars bar and a can of coke - I want him/her to have Mars bar and a can of Coke.

And more importantly, patients are generally in hospital because they are already sick - probably feeling miserable - why should we deny them a bit of "junk" food if it makes them feel better?

tony draper
11th Oct 2008, 21:21
Could be worse, they could remove all the ashtray from the operating theater and stop the surgeons smoking.
Political correctness gone mad I tells yer. :rolleyes:

Storminnorm
11th Oct 2008, 21:26
Tut Tut Mr D, Nanny knows best!

Strelnikov
11th Oct 2008, 23:07
We haven't had a "nanny state" thread for a fortnight. I'd begun to think the crows had left the tower of London.

Top whinging stagger - you've restored some balance.

Whirlygig
11th Oct 2008, 23:23
The NHS already started that many years ago. I had to have a polio vaccine and I remembered from my childhood that it was administered on a sugar cube. I was looking forward to having another sugar cube and told the nurse this. Oh no, she said, you can't have sugar anymore, we'll just put the vaccine on your tongue.

I may well have tasted something more vile in my life but I'm not sure when!

For pity's sake, why could't they give me a sugar cube? If I'd known, I'd have brought my own in! :}

Cheers

Whirls

merlinxx
11th Oct 2008, 23:24
That's in my local PCT theres a Burger King and a Big Sub in the reception/waiting area! 'tis the only food outlet apart from the shag awful shite they throw at folks:uhoh::uhoh::{:{

Pretty good stradnards (I'm dyslsexic KO)

Howard Hughes
11th Oct 2008, 23:47
Probably a little late to be trying to educate people if they are already in hospital, let them have their sugary stuff, especially the Doctors!;)

With regard to Mr D's comments, I am constantly surrised by the number of health care workers who smoke!:eek:

Rightbase
11th Oct 2008, 23:53
I liked Nanny. She was nicer than Mummy. Mummy was very strict.

I'm glad we don't have a Mummy state.

Or do we .......... ?

I am confused.

Avitor
12th Oct 2008, 00:02
I eat what I like, when I like (subject to prats) furthermore, if ever I consider committing murder, I'll start with that Oliver bloke. ;)

V2-OMG!
12th Oct 2008, 00:30
Then hospitals will be like prisons; visiting relatives will smuggle the contraband to the patients/prisoners.

Solar
12th Oct 2008, 01:30
Read a newspaper report somewhere last week where the NHS Trusts were largely within their budgets and were being praised by some "goverment" minister or other and then this week read another report in the Belfast Telegraph where 2500 nurses were being axed to save money, now I'm confused.

Wod
12th Oct 2008, 02:11
V2-OMG

Sorry, but they are already smuggling "prohibited substances"' into hospitals. Mainly for the patients. Particularly prevalent in the drug induced psychosis area.

Sugar cubes and Mars bars would just add to the variety.

Crosshair
12th Oct 2008, 02:48
Oh yes, freedom. What liberty it is, to be able to buy what the M&M-Mars company tells us to buy, and to drink sugary products of the Coca-Cola Corporation. How dare the hospital deny its patients the ability to carry out their solemn duty as consumers?

'Cause freedom's just another word for nothing else to choose.

Loose rivets
12th Oct 2008, 05:17
I eat what I like, when I like (subject to prats)

Kindly rephrase that.

Avitor
12th Oct 2008, 09:53
"Kindly rephrase that"....Loose rivets.
============================
'Subject to New Labour's social engineers, pedants, health and safety, jobsworths, interfeering do-gooders, jumped up cooks. Most of them well paid with massive pensions.

I now have company, I will suspend this rant until later...... :}

ORAC
12th Oct 2008, 09:59
http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/government.jpg

Rossian
12th Oct 2008, 11:04
When our lad was in Bristol Royal Infirmary in the aftermath of his heart atttack he was offered a plate of what was called "Creamed Chicken," no potato, no veg, just a plate of what looked like catsick. Even behind his O2 mask I could hear the retching sound. I went home and cooked a chicken curry and brought it in at the evening visiting time complete with all the trimmings. He wolfed it down and the staff asked if I could bring some more in the next day - for them !
The Ancient Mariner

Foss
12th Oct 2008, 11:55
There's a news story going today that shop bought ketchup is being banned in Vale of Glamorgan primary schools because of high salt and sugar content. Doesn't really matter because I doubt if they have any chips to put it on.

Meanwhile in Ceredigion, Marmite has been banned from the school breakfast clubs because of high salt content.
Well that's fair enough, Marmite should be banned countrywide.

Guess an Ulster fry is out of the question then.

tony draper
12th Oct 2008, 13:54
Bah! soft shites! our ancestors had the new born lick salt off a sword blade soon after they took their first breath.
Big daft girls blouses they is now, small wonder our last two generations are so bloody weedy.
:suspect:

Foss
12th Oct 2008, 14:23
There is a logical extrapolation to this.
You ask for a packet of salt and vinegar crisps.
You get lo fat salt and vinegar crisps. Later the salt is taken out altogether, so you get lo fat vinegar crisps.
Later again the potatoes are cut out because of the starch. So you get a packet of lo fat vinegar. Because the packet is non biodegradable it's done away with.
So when you ask for a packet of salt and vinegar crisps, they shake some vinegar into your hand.

tony draper
12th Oct 2008, 14:28
They used to put a small blue bag of salt in packets of crisps when I were a nipper, prolly get sent to jail if yer did that now. dizzy health nazi feckers!:suspect:

call100
12th Oct 2008, 18:36
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1920's, 30's 40's, 50's & 60's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses full of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese & tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took cadging lifts.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

A trip to the beach on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the stream and NOT from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, Subway or Kebabs.
Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and only opened for a few hours at weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner shop and buy fruit Spangles and some bangers to blow up frogs with.
We ate buns, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No mobile phones - no one was able to reach us all day. And we were always O.K.

We would spend hours building our trolleys out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in streams with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no videogames at all, no 99 channels on Sky, no video tape or DVD movies, nosurround sound,no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross buns at Easter time.......no really!We had air guns and catapults for our birthdays,
We drank milk laced with Strontium 90 from cows that had eaten grass covered in nuclear fallout from the atomic testing.We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them from the street!Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!
Mum & dad didn't need Brandy, Whisky whatever when they came in from work!
Footy had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
Our teachers used to belt us with big sticks and leather straps and bully's always ruled the playground at school.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.They actually sided with the law!This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, tell it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

PS -The big type is because your eyes are shot at your age!

Squeegee Longtail
12th Oct 2008, 19:08
Good call !

Howard Hughes
12th Oct 2008, 23:46
They used to put a small blue bag of salt in packets of crisps when I were a nipper,
This was so far ahead of it's time, those that didn't want salt had the option, those that wanted salt grabbed the unused packets from the naysayers and heaped them all on!:ok:

Can't say I can recall anyone not puting the salt on...;)

S'land
13th Oct 2008, 13:09
They used to put a small blue bag of salt in packets of crisps when I were a nipper,

Indeed they did. Part of the fun of eating crisps was finding the blue bag (when I was young it was a square of blue paper with salt and twisted closed, not a heat sealed flat pack), sprinkling it on the crisps and then shaking the bag so that the salt covered all of the crisps. The sound of the shaking had to be as loud as possible, just to annoy the grown-ups.

Call100:
Nice one, but could you make the type size a couple of points bigger so that I can see it, please.

forget
13th Oct 2008, 13:43
Anyone remember the TV programme that followed the life of a world class heart surgeon, Oxfordshire area. Likeable sort of feller, in his forties. He’s do the odd spot of jogging around his estate, as you might expect. One day he had a very early morning operation at John Radcliffe. The TV crew watched his arrival to find there’d be a one hour delay. No problem, down to the staff canteen in Saville Row three piece.

Full English fry up ……….. including fried bread and three eggs. :ok:

Mac the Knife
13th Oct 2008, 14:37
"Personally, if I'm having emergency surgery at 3am and the surgeon feels he/she needs a Mars bar and a can of coke - I want him/her to have Mars bar and a can of Coke."

Since in theatre I live on Coke and Mars bars (Bar-One over here), amen to that.

:ok: Mac

GrumpyOldFart
13th Oct 2008, 16:21
[Nostalgia mode]

Anyone remember the trucks/lorries/vans that delivered Smiths Crisps? Dark blue Albions they were, with the new crisps, in greaseproof-paper bags (complete with salt in twist of blue wax paper, of course) and packed in 1' x 1' x 1' tins with removable lids. The tins were returnable, and it was a thing of joy to watch the drivers flinging the empty tins up onto the truck's roof rack. I used to wonder how many of these sharp-cornered tins flew right over the top and landed on some innocent victim on the other side.

[/Nostalgia mode]

Thinks ... amazing what used to entertain kids in the 50s ...

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m38/GrumpyOldFart/SmithsCrisps.jpg

Curious Pax
13th Oct 2008, 17:44
As word is that most doctors are chainsmoking alcoholics perhaps a pub and several cigarette machine should be installed alongside the Coke/Mars bar dispensers!

cockney steve
13th Oct 2008, 19:14
Jerry coe! Yes! I do remember the tins, but not the Albions...Biscuits also came in similar tins and the local grocer had special display -lids which were hinged, with a glass panel.

Lyons Maid (sic) Ice Cream delivered in tall, narrow containers with hinged lids and copious flakes of dry-ice.....they were just dumped outside the shop for the van to pick up when emptied....If school turned out first, there'd be a mad scramble to liberate the dry-ice :)
the herbal shop manned by a wizened old man and a witch....you got spanish wood there to chew-and Tiger nuts....allsorts of exotic jars and packets.
guy fawkes bangers that really banged.....jumping jacks that jumped.
fish n' chips in newspaper.......never having the odd farthing for the bread and not remembering if they owed you or vice-versa.
playing with discarded spools and the paper backing from films developed at the bike-shop next-door...the bin-men always dropped loads the coiled paper made a splendid sword or telescope.....climbing to the top of a tree and looking DOWN on said neighbour's roof (3-storey property)
bread 'n' dripping , bread'n sugar with real butter...sometimes we got jam or sprinkled Ovaltine crunchy crumbs instead of sugar.proper eggs with straw and birdshit on them.

No debts except mortgage, chopped credit-card when Access started charging.
Only ever had one thing on HP in 1964-a BSA A65 with a watsonian Avon sidecar....realised then that the "rate" bore no semblance to the true charge and of 3 years payments, one was interest....no more!
poor but happy.-not a lot's changed, really :}

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Oct 2008, 19:23
Nothing wrong with that MtK.:ok:

A group of us have a standing rule to smuggle beer and biltong in to any one of us who ends up crook and having our purple wobbly bits scratched around in by a chancre mechanic. If the victim is too ill to eat the 'tong and drink the beer the deal is we help him by scoffing the lot ourselves.

Paracab
13th Oct 2008, 22:12
When our lad was in Bristol Royal Infirmary in the aftermath of his heart atttack he was offered a plate of what was called "Creamed Chicken," no potato, no veg, just a plate of what looked like catsick. Even behind his O2 mask I could hear the retching sound. I went home and cooked a chicken curry and brought it in at the evening visiting time complete with all the trimmings. He wolfed it down and the staff asked if I could bring some more in the next day - for them !

The funniest post I've read in ages, utter genius.

praying it is a wind up :ooh:

Blacksheep
14th Oct 2008, 08:29
Lying in hospital on "Bland Diet". A Malay friend visiting on his way to work one morning (as is their custom) wasn't impressed with my breakfast - watery rice porridge with a few flakes of chicken and no salt. He went out and returned with roti chanai, daalcha and chicken curry (i.e. diesel fuel for humans) I shared it with the chap in the next bed and it became our daily ritual - the only decent meal of the day. Post Op, one's spirit needs nourishing as much as the body.

Rossian
14th Oct 2008, 14:24
"a wind-up" Um,no, Paracab, unfortunately it wasn't. One nurse said the smell of the curry even registered (in a positive way)with some other occupants of the ICU who were even nearer Death's door.
However comma the standard of care was excellent and the cardiologist is one of my (maybe my ONLY) hero, plus the lovely lovely nurse who came in on her day off to accompany the lad for his first angiogram before moving to a high dependency ward. Madame and I owe them more than can be said.
I contemplated making the suggestion to the hospital that the catering boss should ALWAYS have for his lunch what was being dished to the patients -just as the Orderly Officer used to sample lunch in the troops mess and canvass opinion around the dining hall.
The Ancient Mariner

ExSp33db1rd
14th Oct 2008, 22:50
Then hospitals will be like prisons; visiting relatives will smuggle the contraband to the patients/prisoners.

My mates visited me in hospital - orthopeadic, so everything worked normally except the leg - and left a bottle of Lemon Squash, mixed 50/50 with Gin. Trouble was, the two liquids seperated out, so I had to keep waking up through the night to shake it !! :ok: ( not stir ) ( but you're probably all to old to remember 007 )

I was in the Military Hospital in Aldershot, where the Para. Field Ambulance Brigade would gleefully rush out and scoop up local road accident casualties and bear them back ( almost like the local gardeners, who would rush out with bucket and shovel when they heard a passing horse ) the better to practice their fieldcraft - with real examples. After the evening meal the ward Matron would push a trolley around - loaded with free beer - Messrs Hall & Woodhouses best Bitter ! ( Maybe even Bass, too, can't remember ) The Army knew a thing or two, and no poxy Greeny Politican could stop them

larssnowpharter
15th Oct 2008, 02:45
so I had to keep waking up through the night to shake it !!

Sounds like a nasty case of Portnoys!:}

ExSp33db1rd
16th Oct 2008, 06:34
I said shake it, not stroke it. :ok: