PDA

View Full Version : Best place to work as an Instructor

BKFI
11th Oct 2008, 11:03
Hi guys, just signed up and was hoping a few of you could offer some assistance.

I'm currently working at Bankstown as a GII FI. I've got about 750TT. I've been working at my current school for a while now and while things are ok... they're not great so I'm looking to move on. Currently I'm paid the award minus a few of the "entitlements".

Based on the current "shortage" of instructors, I figured it might be a good time to land myself a better paying job before these higher salarys become a thing of the past.

Based on experience, does anyone have any organisations they'd recommend I take a look at? While my experience isn't too great, I do have GII which I think is a plus. I'm basically happy to go anywhere but the preference would be east coast (don't mind where).

Also, I currently have a big 0 ME time. Any way to find a flying school that would have a way to build that so I can get META?

Thanks

glekichi
11th Oct 2008, 11:49
Take your time and look for a small to medium sized school that does m/e charter also. I made the move from one of the major airline training outfits to a smaller school and haven't looked back.

Firstly, I enjoy the instructing that has more of a personal touch. We have students that are flying because they have a passion for it, and as an instructor I get more freedom to plan lessons to suit the student's needs.

The best thing of all is that the company has invested in me by training me up for multi-engine charter (I only had an uncurrent instrument rating and 3hrs multi PIC). They haven't asked for any kind of bond, but I am thankful for the training they have given me and certainly am not going to walk out the door on them.

Now I get to break up the routine with m/e IFR charter once or twice a week, not to mention the photography, fire-spotting, and other interesting stuff. The other day I got to fly four different types in one day. Oh, and I'm earning a little bit more here too!

Cap'n Arrr
11th Oct 2008, 22:36
What glekichi said! Having said that, I've heard good things (conditions wise) about BAe Tamworth.

BKFI
13th Oct 2008, 12:10
Thanks a lot for that, I'll look into a few of the smaller places. Working at BK has given me plenty of experience with the intl students though!

Too have heard good things about Tamworth, however I'm short a MECIR which is one of their requirements :ugh:.

geforce
13th Oct 2008, 22:29
Just be carefull and ask the right questions (e.g work hours). At a particular school in BK I heard that there's going to be a few vacancies shortly for senior and junior FIs due to unreasonable shifts having been imposed without proper consultation with staff := . Good luck!

mr.tos
14th Oct 2008, 03:44
And apparently 5 instructors just got suspended for using ecstasy. So there's 5 job opportunities :ok:

Also on AFAP Aerospace are looking for instructors, so if that isn't already where you are instructing try there. I've heard that they are reducing their intake of foreign students next year.

Capt Mo
15th Oct 2008, 15:17
Im with Glekichi on this - dont necessarily look for a big sausage factory, but have a look at the smaller/medium sized schools. You will find nowadays that the Grade 2 will make you more employable and if you are good at what you do and are not in it just for the hours, then you will be noticed and will build a positive reputation at a smaller school, whereas in a larger school may find yourself lost in the crowd of instructors.

Get into the Multi engine charter and dont rush into META, especially not with 750TT and no multi experience. Get some experience before you teach it - I considered getting IFR training approval a while back, when a wise mentor, an ATO said to me, consider this - you're on an IFR training flight, at an airport where its pouring rain and cloud and vis are down to the minima, consider all the various problems and phenonemon you're going to encounter and think - not only do you need to be able to fly the aircraft in these conditions you need to have the capacity to teach the student at the same time. Same applies to a multi engined aircraft - it needs to be taught properly the first time and by someone with experience and dedication to the job, not someone just trying to fill up the multi engine column in their logbook.

If you'd like ideas on schools or where to go from here PM me - I dont have alot of experience, but would be happy to help as I was in this situation not so long ago.

Mo :ok: