PDA

View Full Version : Bankers - would you let your daughter marry one?

Blacksheep
10th Oct 2008, 13:30
...well, would you?

One of ours already did. :(

A few weeks ago he drew a load of money out of HBOS and brought it home in his brief case, "just to be on the safe side".

...and he never warned any of his friends or relatives... :oh:

Whirlygig
10th Oct 2008, 13:32
...and he never warned any of his friends or relatives...

Well at least he can't be accused of insider trading! :ok: :}

Cheers

Whirls

Davaar
10th Oct 2008, 13:44
Was it his own money?

Charlie Foxtrot India
10th Oct 2008, 14:10
Collective noun for bankers - a Wunch.

My sister married one...:bored:

airship
10th Oct 2008, 14:26
Well at least he can't be accused of insider trading! :ok: :} There hasn't (yet) been a run by depositors. But supposing he'd recommended to relatives and friends to withdraw their deposits, could anyone actually be accused of trading on insider information...?! I don't want to sell anyone short but... :confused:

tony draper
10th Oct 2008, 14:30
Well you could forget about grandchildren because I would have the bollix cut off the lorra of them.
:E

Stockpicker
10th Oct 2008, 14:57
supposing he'd recommended to relatives and friends to withdraw their deposits, could anyone actually be accused of trading on insider information

No. Insider trading is about dealing securities on the basis of information which is not publicly available. If he told his friends to sell the company's shares because he happened to know that a significant proportion of the assets of the company was about to disappear, that would be insider trading.

Standard Noise
10th Oct 2008, 16:05
Why not let your daughter marry a banker, they seem to have more cash than the rest of us! Aren't parents meant to want the best for their children?

BlueDiamond
10th Oct 2008, 16:09
Okay ... the word "banker" is making a fairly frequent appearance these days, for the obvious reasons, but what exactly do people mean by it? What is a banker? Are we talking about the bank tellers, the employees, staff, or whatever they're called? Is it the managers? The owners?

Could someone give me a definition please.

Shack37
10th Oct 2008, 16:15
I have never seen the same typo repeated so many times in the same thread. Must be a record.:ouch:

Der absolute Hammer
10th Oct 2008, 16:26
A banker is a person who sits on the board of a bank and has control over the amount of he can take home each year.
He also has control over the amount of the money you loose each year when you invest in bank stock.
In the old days - a bank failed - banker would do the right thing with a pistol.
Today Richard Fuld, CEO/Lehmans only says so sorry about things. His pay have been the average of $50 million each year for the last seven years. That is $350 million cash, exclusive of perskys.
It is the bankers that still stop the chance of a recovery. They do not want to have banks nationalised again and so have controls put on their pay. This is maybe the main reason why the banks are not taking the advantage of the money made available by governments and why US has had to buy commercial paper. Quick fix is for government to nationalise banks, make them lend, reeduce LIBOR and get ball rolling again. Then reform banking and privatise again.

1DC
10th Oct 2008, 16:27
Have a couple of mates who are retired bank managers, very nice blokes.They both say that by the time they retired working in a bank was a miserable existence that they wouldn't recommend to anyone.

G&T ice n slice
10th Oct 2008, 17:18
well...
I guess it's better than marrying low-life types such as lawyers & estate agents

Davaar
10th Oct 2008, 19:32
Could someone give me a definition please.

No, no one can.

tony draper
10th Oct 2008, 20:00
My old grandpappy told me long ago,never trust anybody who goes to work in a suit.
:)

airship
10th Oct 2008, 20:36
Back in the good ole days, unless I'm very much mistaken, it was an extremely fortunate circumstance for one of you to work in a bank. Apparently even the lowliest bank employee qualified for a home loan on extremely generous terms...?

The actual question: "Bankers - would you let your daughter marry one?" is entirely superfluous. If I had a daughter, she would probably bloody well marry whomever she wanted to! In order to save yourselves future embarassement, better not to pose the question (at least out loud) in the first place... :}

Squeegee Longtail
10th Oct 2008, 20:45
I used to be one (a derivatives trader) during the 1987 crash! Thoroughly enjoyed it, very exciting, and it was the best thing that happened to me as all the big boys got axed allowing us lower life to be promoted overnight! Took the money for a few years after and then got the hell out and got a life.

Would my daughter marry one? OH YES, then divorce the 'banker' for all he's worth.

Stockpicker
10th Oct 2008, 23:10
My father did. Your point, caller?

(and yes, he did ask for my father's permission).

Garethbmw
11th Oct 2008, 08:20
I know this is upside and back to front but i married a bankers daughter!