PDA

View Full Version : UAE - Middle East JAA?

Brachetta
10th Oct 2008, 06:15
Hello all.
Silly question, perhaps...
Is UAE under JAA licences? I'm evaluating Bristol Distance ATPL and would appreciate to get some thoughts about it and, in fact, if will be applicable towards my fATPL.
Thanks lots

Fabian

Wizofoz
10th Oct 2008, 07:30
No, UAE has it's own GCAA license. Regulations are "JAA Compliant", meaning based upon JAA with some local differences and interpretations.

Conversion is easy and painless if you gain employment with a UAE carrier.

Brachetta
10th Oct 2008, 07:33
Thanks Wizofoz, in other words...does it make sense then to give it a go with, say, Bristol while building hours?

kotakota
10th Oct 2008, 09:45
In my neck of the Middle Eastern woods , we operate under CAROPS which is Civil rather than Joint , but virtually the same .

Schnowzer
10th Oct 2008, 09:57
The UAE uses CAROPS but JAR-FCL requirements for its own licences. If you use Bristol, get a JAR/CAA licence it requires a job and an airlaw exam to convert.

Brachetta
10th Oct 2008, 18:19
Good stuff. Thanks guys.
Spoke to Bristol but they are not sure of what's required to convert.
Will call Emirates on Sunday and post their answer for future reference.

737BBJ
11th Oct 2008, 05:08
You can do it two ways:

Present an ICAO license acceptable to the UAE GCAA and a job contract with an airline and you will receive a validation for 3 months.

Sit an Air Law test, present an ICAO license acceptable to the UAE GCAA together with a UAE Medical, and the job contract.

Getting the validation for three months, and during that time sit the written test and go for the full UAE license would be the way to do it.

Brachetta
11th Oct 2008, 07:03
In fact, right now I'm converting my PPL to UAE.
I've got already the UAE Class one medical and will do here in Dubai the IFR - Multi - CPL immediately after, so wanted to do the distance ground school in the meantime, since I guess I'll go modular.... (125k to spare me anyone? :O )
I didn't want to find after paying Bristol that is not valid - difficult to convert - silly choice, etc...

Thanks for the info!