PDA

View Full Version : Ski Planes

captain big balls
10th Oct 2008, 02:40
Does anyone know if it's easy to fly ski planes, i'd like a job at mount cook landing on the glaciers. Looks real easy to do. I guess tail time is quite good.

Any info please.....

empacher48
10th Oct 2008, 02:50
The first thing you have to be good at is pushing the planes away when the first sign of wind hits..

Second you have to not enjoy going flying, even when the weather is good!

Seriously though, its a good job, the guys don't do much flying anymore (I did hear about 100 hours a year at the most).

Snow conditions over the last summer weren't all that great so they missed out on a lot of flying.

compressor stall
10th Oct 2008, 03:00
From what I understand it's a pretty close environment there and not easy to get into.

Secondly, knowing your way around a mountain (i.e. a knowledge of crevasses, glaciers etc) is hugely beneficial.

Little NOTAR
16th Oct 2008, 03:41
I used to be based down at the rock flying helicopters, back in my younger days. The job certainly is not easy from what I saw. Landing on the snow takes alot of time and patience to perfect. Those guys are very skilled pilots, and as stated above, a very close knit group.

toolowtoofast
16th Oct 2008, 08:18
you should get together with acectc - i'm sure you guys would be able to swap stories :)

captain big balls
16th Oct 2008, 22:51
Thanks very much for your input. I've found out a bit more about the company now also. The reasons I'm keen is my degree in glaciology and my interest in good flying jobs. Got a couple of thousand on floats too, so could be helpful.

I probably don't have too much in common with acectc though - toolowtoofast you spoon.

GUARD
17th Oct 2008, 00:09
You're a legend Big Balls!!!

By your own admission.........:D:D

Fark'n'ell
17th Oct 2008, 06:42
Captain BB. How much tailwheel time do you have and what is your total time.

captain big balls
19th Oct 2008, 23:24
ZERO tail time, but how hard can it be!!!

Got about 4500TT all on light stuff - no turbine, but I guess the Porter is a bit challenging to fly at first anyway. - even for me!!!

aileron_69
20th Oct 2008, 07:36
Thats ok mate, you wont need to know how to fly the Porter, just how to make coffee, and maybe start the 185

empacher48
20th Oct 2008, 20:31
But wait, they do have a 206 JDV.. If you're really lucky you might be able to fly that... And no it doesn't land on the snow...

future.boeing.cpt
20th Oct 2008, 21:02
big balls, and a big head