PDA

View Full Version : Low operating cost aircrafts

Futureng
9th Oct 2008, 14:52
hey all!

I am 2nd year aeronautical engineering student. We ve gt a project based on Low operating cost aircrafts. We mainly thinking of a plane with 250 passengers and 47m long. I need your help about the low operating cost aircrafts with pax 250. What planes can i take as reference?

Thnx from now!

Yoth
9th Oct 2008, 20:32
If, as a second year aeronautical engineering student, you can't identify the type of aircraft that you describe, then perhaps you need to study for something else.
How about a Boeing 757/767 or Airbus A321/A330?
Very favourable ACMI on a 757 these days.

Fullblast
9th Oct 2008, 22:01
Yoth, you're an aeronautical engineer? You clearly have NO idea of what subjects an engineer studies, not even what an engineer is supposed to know after the degree.

Futureng, not an easy question; the term "operating cost" means everything and nothing; every company has different needs and not every airplanes fit different "routes"...moreover, in the operating costs you have to count for the initial price, but...buying an aeroplane is not like buying a car, quite often happens that what you're looking for is not available on the market.
Roughly speaking, I'd say B737 and A320. Why? Most commons types all around the world and preferred types for Low Cost and Moneymakers companies.

FB

Genghis the Engineer
10th Oct 2008, 14:17
Expanding upon what Fullblast has said, the term "low cost" is a bit like "short string" - all depends upon what you need.

Broadly speaking you can break costs down into:

- Purchase costs (with repayment spread over how long?)
- Operating crew costs
- Operating fuel / parts costs
- Operating maintenance personnel costs

The best thing then is to create some form of figure of merit equation based upon these factors (which you can probably get a reasonable idea of from Boeing/Airbus' etc. technical websites).

Then it really is a question of what you do with the aircraft. For very low utilisation then the equation falls in favour of the cheap, old and thirsty older airliner whilst on the other hand for high utilisation then a high value, low running cost aeroplanes makes much more sense. So you start to see why budget airlines are actually flying the newest and most expensive aeroplanes, but air taxi or smaller charter operators are often flying fairly old and expensive to run aeroplanes.

As for aircraft to look at - obviously "Janes all the world's aircraft" is the best starting source of reference. I'd take a look at the Boeing 737 and 767, Airbus A310, A320, A321, Antonov AN-76 for a starter.

G

N.B. If you plan on a career in the aircraft industry, stop using the word "plane" now. A plane is a wordworking tool, or a flat surface - not a flying machine. Also the plural of aircraft is aircraft, not aircrafts.

Yoth
10th Oct 2008, 15:53
Fullblast.
Believe it or not, I am an aeronautical engineer and I do know what subjects that a degree student has to study, because I have done them. I've got a bit of paper to prove it.
I'm also a licensed engineer (can I call myself that?) who has been certifying (certifiable?) for over 20 years, which has given me a warped view of life in general. Forgive my coarse/p*** taking tone, I don't mean to offend.
Having said that, just because someone is studying for a degree doesn't mean to say that you have to avoid the bleedin' obvious or that they are untouchable, or in some way beyond criticism due to their perceived higher academic status.
There can be a tendancy to over complicate matters in all walks of life, not just amongst 2nd year degree aeronautical engineers.

Futureng
10th Oct 2008, 17:05
Genghis the Engineer and fullblast, thnx for the replies.

I note down what you said it will be helpful. Sorry for my short explanation because weights and other specifications haven't decided yet.We are just in the research level now. I just wondered what aircraft types you can give me as an example.I will recommend A320, A321, A350, b787-800 to my group. Thanks Again.

NutLoose
10th Oct 2008, 21:29
One way of looking at it is what are the budget airlines using, they factor in costs as a major costing and they are not going to settle for some thirsty expensive to run old dog......... they are going to go for the best returns option.

Domi
22nd Oct 2008, 21:08
one other way of looking at it is the maintenance cost :
rule n°1 : operate new aircraft because :
- you can re-market them after 6 years with a good value
- you can equalize the maintenance in order to not ground the aircraft for C-Check
- you won't send the engines in shop
- you will have an aircraft free of costly Service Bulletins
- you won't spend money in cabin refurbishment and customization
- you will be in good position to negociate low price if you say "I wan't to buy 120 planes now and take an option for other 120 ones :8 "

Then, take a full-support PBH agreement for engineering, components and maintenance services with one of the best MRO.

my 2 cents.