PDA

View Full Version : Modem needs some "reheat"

Tartan Giant
22nd May 2000, 23:44
I bought a new Pentium 3 machine (Tiny) which has a 56K V90 modem (Win98 and IE5).

When I use it to connect to the internet, the new modem "runs" at a slower speed (never greater than 42,666) than my old 56k V90 modem did; and I'm linked to same old phone line that made my old machine's modem operate faster.

I've tried reducing the drain on the line by pulling out all the other phones in the house, and letting the PC modem be the only user - no change in performance.

I've tried the modem properties box and 'told' the PC to connect at the fastest selectable speed (921600) and indeed tried the trick (advised by Tiny help line) in the Advanced "extra settings" box using, X1&F1, again with no enhancement to the modems running speed (max 42,666 - has been down to as low as 41,333).

Request any help to get this new modem (designated "MR" by Tiny) to perform and behave more like a 56k V90.

TBone
23rd May 2000, 03:35
Your modem is running fine.

The difference is in the way the modem reports the connection speed to windows. Some modems will show a 'compressed' speed - maybe 115200 on a good 'un, but the uncompressed speed will always be around the 40-45k mark. Yours is not bad at all.

Modems can compress data to speed up transfer rates when they both support the same protocol, but the basic speed remains the same.

Nothing to worry about, unless you're noticing a particular downgrade in performance. Some modems require their compression to be enabled, others don't. The string you refer to is probably to enable the compression, but the modem may still only report the actual connection. Try hooking up your old modem and see !

Cheers

[This message has been edited by TBone (edited 22 May 2000).]

Voidhawk
23rd May 2000, 14:36
X1 is "Don't wait for a dial-tone", and &F1 is "Reset modem to factory settings", so not likely to do anything to your connection speed.

I would agree with TBone that it's fairly normal speeds your getting.

Tartan Giant
23rd May 2000, 14:47
TBone
Thanks for that.....it makes me feel better about my 'set-up'.
Cheers.
TG

Mice
23rd May 2000, 16:31
For your info, using the modem manufacturer supplied drivers often causes this type of problem for people who have used the Windows generic driver previously.
While the Microsoft generic driver works OK, it shows a theoretical connect speed only (Usually 115K, the setting of the max transmission rate) while the correct driver/string indicates the actual connect speed to the line.
There is no difference in performance generally, however you may gain some by using the correct driver.
The connection speed you quote is very good for a standard copper phone line actually, and it will vary depending on the line through the exchange. If you have a poor connect speed, it may help to reconnect again. You may find the next line you get (random selection in the exchange) may be better.

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

Tartan Giant
23rd May 2000, 22:12
Very much obliged chaps.....

Cheers
TG