PDA

View Full Version : Spaceport for Lapland!

oncemorealoft
9th Oct 2008, 11:48
So that great Greeny Mr Richard Branson is going to build a spaceport in Lapland (Flight Int. 7-13 Oct, pg 41) for his multi-millionaire Virgin Galactic passengers who will be travelling to.......um, nowhere.

Anyone know what the carbon footprint/environmental impact of this project is?

Funny how no one from the media ever sems to ask him about these things. I suppose the regular first class freebies to British media editors goes a long way to maintaining editorial 'balance'!:rolleyes:

Edgington
9th Oct 2008, 12:35
What about the consequences for Father Christmas and his reindeer?

oncemorealoft
9th Oct 2008, 12:42
"BRANSON'S SPACEPORT COULD KILL SANTA"

That's a Daily Mail headline I'd love to see!:eek:

netstruggler
9th Oct 2008, 12:49
Anyone know what the carbon footprint/environmental impact of this project is?

Funny how no one from the media ever sems to ask him about these things. I suppose the regular first class freebies to British media editors goes a long way to maintaining editorial 'balance.

One could argue that space travel is a way of limiting our ultimate impact on earth's environment.

Conservation slows down the consumption of earth's resources. Space travel might allow this consumptioin to be stopped or reversed.

At least that's what I'd say if I were him (which I'm not)

CarltonBrowne the FO
9th Oct 2008, 15:04
Machrihanish is for sale....

lexxity
9th Oct 2008, 19:47
Why not just buy Iceland to put it on?

con-pilot
9th Oct 2008, 21:24
No big deal, we already have one of them there spacyports in Oklahoma.

The old Clinton Sherman Air Force Base.

Today the site continues as the Clinton-Sherman Industrial Airpark and the runway is one of the longest in the world. The runway is considered as an alternate landing site to the Space Shuttle and is used daily for private non-commercial aircraft.

Course nothing has gone into space from there, and as far as I know nothing has landed there from space. :p