PDA

View Full Version : Recycle bin.........delete or empty ?

Flybywyre
19th May 2000, 18:36
When I decide to clear my recycle bin I have noticed that it gives me two options,
to either delete or empty recycle bin. Both options seem to do the same job in getting rid of the contents and in the past I have probably used both.

Does it make any difference ?

A confused Flybywyre.

Vortex Wake
19th May 2000, 21:11
"Empty recycle bin" is basically quicker as it permanently removes all files in the bin at once. Deleting induvidual items is tedious but does the same thing.
Hope this is not stating what you already know!

Flybywyre
19th May 2000, 23:54
Thanks VW

I didn't know that.

It still seems strange that both do the same task. I must admit my recycle bin only ever has a few items in it so the time factor never comes into play.

Surely if you have sent it to the RB the intention is to bin it?
So if you do have a lot in there wouldn't you just "select all" and away you go?

FBW

ExSimGuy
20th May 2000, 14:55
FBW - I certainly remember the "god old days" without a recycle bin. I used to have a facility (part of Norton Utilities) to "undelete" files every time I got to "damn, I deleted that document yesterday and now I need to refer back to it"!

And it wasn't nearly as reliable as the Recycle Bin!

I usually clean mine out every few weeks, and leave the most recently "binned" in there in case I find that I really didn't want to delete it!

Slasher
21st May 2000, 09:13
Yeh I agree with ExSim on this one. The Norton Unerase facility has saved my Recycling butt countless times! http://www.gifanimations.com/animations/smiley_faces/smiley_025.gif