PDA

View Full Version : Australian Pilots GA Awards. Please explain

jnvivier
8th Oct 2008, 22:03
I'm currently in NZ, and with some luck will be looking for work in Aus later this year. So far i have heard much about the Pilots Award scheme over there but have had so many different interpretations as to who is entitled to what etc.
Can someone who actually knows the story please explain? Assume I'm a layman and explain in my terms!
Thanks

redsnail
8th Oct 2008, 22:24
Best ask in the D&G forum.

In short,

The GA award covers all who do bush flying, scenics, charter etc.
There are differences and variances for different companies.

jnvivier
8th Oct 2008, 22:42
Yea i thought i might be in the wrong forum.
Well that is the reason i want to know.. for me the dream jobs are exactly those! Bush jobs, real aviation

compressor stall
9th Oct 2008, 00:55
An "Award" is the bare minimum salary that an employer should pay you in that job.

There are many "Awards" across industry - usually set with the input of trade unions.

You will find the GA one on www.afap.org.au

redsnail
9th Oct 2008, 11:08
I'd hate to rain on your parade but usually, bush jobs aren't that well paid, even if you're getting the award. You may hold a CPL/ME IR etc but you'll more than likely be paid as a single engine piston VFR pilot. Big difference in pay.

While I enjoyed my time doing scenics and charters and made some great friends, there's no way I could do it for the rest of my life. It's exhausting getting up at 4am 5 days a week for 3-4 months on end.

I think it's changed a bit since I was "up north" but usually, there's more pilots than jobs.

Any way, good luck in your endeavour.

Now, I got a great GA job. :E