PDA

View Full Version : 3D video and general ignorance

phyxit
19th May 2000, 17:58
Stupid question o' the day...

I'd like to buy a 3D video card but have a 1D fund of computer knowledge. I've got this IBM Ambra Ispirati AMD K6 300mHz 6GB W98 machine with a little tiny case. (It's on its 3rd CD drive by the way.Grrr.)
I've read the previous posts on what cards are best/bad but fundamentally I don't know what cards/type of cards will fit inside and can be physically/mentally connected to my machine.
The user's guide that came with the machine says I have a "VGA feature connector (JAMC)providing the ATI Multimedia Channel."
Is that significant? It also alludes to a JVGA connection on the motherboard. It says I currently have an ATI VT2 2D chip with 2MB and VGA DB15 and game/MIDI ports, whatever they are.
I've asked the IBM support site which 3Ds would fit and they replied somewhat haughtily that they don't sell 3D cards, so p*** off.

I'm hoping that a nice video card will stop me from sitting up in my chair to see over the glareshield in MS Flight Simulator 98.

anybody?

Thanks very much.

Mice
19th May 2000, 18:18
Unfortunately, a lot of IBM,s have the video integrated into the motherboard, and use some of the system RAM for video as well. This is how they keep the price cheap to compete with better quality un-branded competition. I suspect this may be the case with your machine.
You will need to check the motherboard section of the paperwork that came with the machine, and see if there is a setting to isolate this on-board video. If so, you can then purchase whatever particular card takes your fancy providing you have a spare PCI slot, and the physical room to install it.
Do not get something very expensive in a card. Suggest a cheaper TNT2 chip 3D card, or a Voodoo 3, with min 16Mb RAM. The latest and greatest will not operate at its best due to your CPU (the K6-300) being a little slow anyway.

If I can be of more assistance, e-mail me.

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!

phyxit
20th May 2000, 05:23
Thanks. Looking at the literature,which is far less comprehensive than yer average aircraft manual BTW, it looks like the video dingus is integral with the motherboard with options to bypass it.
This somewhat antiquated machine has 2 USB ports. Anybody tried one of the video driver deallies via a USB port? It doesn't seem like a good idea to me but what the heck do I know?