PDA

View Full Version : EDS Job Cuts

LFFC
8th Oct 2008, 19:40
Reuters - Wed Oct 8, 2008 6:36pm BST (http://uk.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUKTRE49795W20081008)

LONDON (Reuters) - Hewlett-Packard Co's plan to cut more than 3,000 British jobs at recently acquired Electronic Data Systems Corp was condemned on Wednesday by a trade union representing 2,000 EDS staff.

The Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS) said 3,378 posts would be lost over the next two years. Globally HP said it expects to slash 24,000 jobs.

EDS has IT contracts with government departments, including the Department for Work and Pensions and the Ministry of Defence, the PCS said. It warned that the delivery of public services could be affected due to the job cuts.

:ugh:

goneeast
8th Oct 2008, 19:47
Affected how I would like to know?

Service reduced fron Cr@p to Pi$$poor? :\ ?

ursa_major
8th Oct 2008, 19:52
The cuts will affect the admin side of EDS, not the 'delivery' side from the briefing I've read. Can't see HP allowing EDS' reputation to go on the way it is though, there will probably be some management changes imposed on that division to try to resolve the image problems that EDS have.

Pontius Navigator
8th Oct 2008, 21:02
That explains why no one is answering the phones and why we can't get into Dii/f. Gone to lunch takes on a whole new meaning.

Wycombe
9th Oct 2008, 08:24
Bottom line is that for a services business (which should be your "cash cow" in IT), EDS doesn't make anything like enough money....shareholder value is king, like it or not.

LFittNI
9th Oct 2008, 10:28
Let's hope that the "Scottish Group Captain" is one of the first ones shown the door.

The mix of the relatively saintly HP with the toxic EDS......make a good OD case study, that will.

ursa_major
9th Oct 2008, 18:09
PN, sorry, I didn't state that very clearly. By 'admin' staff, I meant those dealing with things such as internal financial bods, internal HR bods etc. - those answering the phones and doing 'customer facing' work would be classed as 'delivery' side. Those internal 'overhead' roles will be taken on by existing units in HP - no point having 2 separate duplicated units doing the same thing.

Krystal n chips
10th Oct 2008, 04:47
Quite ironic really ( not to mention alarming) given the timing of the announcement from HP....:rolleyes:

BBC NEWS | UK | MoD computer hard drive missing (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7662604.stm)