PDA

View Full Version : Can lightning strike twice?

nacluv
8th Oct 2008, 16:48
Having had such a stupendous response (many thanks to all involved:ok:) to my last request for help in finding information about a lost relative in WWII, I thought I'd try my luck again...

This time, it is not a relative, and he was not lost on Ops. So it will be a lot harder I suspect.

The chap in question was a near neighbour of mine when I was a kid. He retired up to North Yorkshire and I never saw him again, and I suspect he may well have passed away by now. He served in the RAF as aircrew (pilot) on Beaufighters in Burma in WWII. If my memory is correct he also flew Mosquitos.

There is nothing else I can tell you apart from his name - George Thompson. No rank or service number details I'm afraid.

If anyone can help, or point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. Again!

Cheers,

Nacluv

sunshine band
8th Oct 2008, 17:30
From www.lrdg.com (http://www.lrdg.com)

Name: Diana Liddle
[email protected]
Date: 01 Mar 2004
Time: 22:45:56

Comments

My father George Thompson went to Africa WW2 met my mother there he is from Newcastle upon Tyne joined 1939 R.A.F

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Maybe she can help...

Just to help cross some individuals off, it's not this hero...

Flight Sergeant George Thompson was the wireless operator of a Lancaster which attacked the Dortmund-Ems Canal on 18 January 1945. The aircraft had twice been hit by anti-aircraft shells; the first hit the mid-upper turret and set the aircraft on fire, filling it with dense smoke; the second shell struck the nose of the aircraft which caused an inrush of air, clearing away the smoke but revealing a scene of utter devastation Flight Sergeant Thompson immediately saw that the mid-upper gunner was trapped. Without a moment's hesitation he entered the blazing turret and pulled the unconscious gunner free. He carried him to safety and then with his bare hands extinguished the gunner's blazing clothing, sustaining serious burns in the process. Flight Sergeant Thompson then noticed that the rear gun turret was also on fire, and despite his injuries, made his way to the rear of the aircraft; once again ignoring his own safety, he entered the burning turret to rescue the unconscious rear gunner, and with his already badly burnt hands, extinguished the gunner's blazing clothing. Even though he was now almost completely exhausted, he made his way forward to the captain to report on the fate of the crew. So pitiful was his appearance that his captain failed to recognise him. Even so, Thompson's only concern was for his 2 comrades left in the rear of the aircraft. The aircraft eventually crash-landed at its home base. Flight Sergeant Thompson was admitted to hospital, where 3 weeks later, he died of his wounds.

Flight Sergeant Thompson's medals, accompanied by a silver model of the Lancaster which was presented to his family by Avro, are on display in Edinburgh Castle, his name also placed on the side of VC-10, XR806. The aircraft served well until a defuelling incident ended up writing the aircraft off. I remember cycling into work and seeing the nose sticking up through some low lying fog! What a sight!!!

Gratuitous self-indulgent photos from my collection time. I think that these were taken in May 1996...

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/xr806side1.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/xr8062f3-1.jpg

SB

Icare9
8th Oct 2008, 20:06
Nacluv: A Lyn Liddle Thompson also in Australia has been looking for him for over 4 years. See George Thompson Missing Person reported by Lyn Liddle Thompson (http://www.missing-you.net/people/george-thompson-54492.php) for additional info. He'd be 87 so regretfully would have to assume the obvious reason for no response.:sad:

Green Flash
8th Oct 2008, 20:09
nacluv

Funny that, this weekend I'll be drinking in the very North Yorkshire pub where Jack Currie wrote his books; I'll ask.

nacluv
8th Oct 2008, 21:11
Hi.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.

I am 99% sure the Diane Liddle mentioned is not related to this George Thompson. He and his wife Millie (yes I know - George and Mildred...) had no children that I ever knew of.

The only other nugget of information I can think of to help is that George Thompson lived in Sheffield (as I did obviously) and had a career up to retirement with Laycock's (the gearbox and overdrive company) also in Sheffield.

I remember he had 4 perfect Airfix models he kept on his sideboard: a Beaufighter and a Mossie (his steeds) plus a Betty and Dinah (his adversaries).

He and Millie retired to the Burley-in-Wharfedale area in the early 80's I guess.