PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical - job opportunities in Brisbane, Qld

The_Pharoah
8th Oct 2008, 00:08
hi guys

hypothetical, assume I'm a 34 y/o who just finished off his CPL with the Multi Engine rating and looking for a job in Brisbane or Australia for that matter. I know that recruitment and job opportunities have a lot to do with timing and luck. So anyway, what sort of job opportunities and salary could this hypothetical newly qualified pilot get? I know its a bit harder to get somewhere when you're >30.

Cheers

lc_461
11th Oct 2008, 09:03
How many hours do you have? You may be eligible for the QantasLink Trainee program. I'm not sure where the actual 8 week training phase is, but you can be based in BNE on completion of that training.

lc_461

The_Pharoah
12th Oct 2008, 03:41
Hi LC

Just a hypothetical - haven't even started training yet. :) just trying to gauge what sort of potential jobs there are after completion.

Thnks

INNflight
12th Oct 2008, 03:57
I guess it's difficult in Australia, as in any other part of the world for that matter.

The "luck" part can usually be influenced the most, prepare your CV well or probably even have a professional company targeting AVIATION CVs do it for you.

Yes it will cost money, but imho it would be foolish to spend a small fortune on your training and then try to save on something important like a CV, which is the start of getting you a job at all.

2ndly, prepare for the interview like there's no tomorrow. I guess getting invited in is rare these days, so if you get to grab the hook, make sure you are able to hold on. You never know when (or where) your next shot may come.

Oh, and NETWORK like there's no tomorrow.
Get into a local club or maybe work as ground staff where you can get to meet crews or OPS people. It's all about who you know, and who knows you. :8

The_Pharoah
12th Oct 2008, 05:56
Thanks for the tips INNFlight. funny...its not 'what' you know but 'who' you know ;) same as in business.

Either way, I'd rather fly a Cessna for the rest of my days than a desk + laptop.