View Full Version : IE6 & PPRuNe cookies

Seat 32F
10th Sep 2001, 10:58
I don't know if this is going to be a big problem looming or not, but I have discovered that (on my system at least) the default 'medium' security setting of the new Internet Explorer 6 prevents the login cookie from PPRuNe being accepted - so that even if you log in with the correct name & password and you get the 'thanks for logging in' web page, the cookie that accompanies it isn't saved & therefore the top blue stripe of the PPRuNe pages says 'you are not logged in'.

I found this out when I did a clean install of Win2000 and installed IE6 at the same time, and later tried to log in to PPRuNe without success. After trying several times making sure that my login and password were correct, I tracked it down to the fact that IE6 rejected the PPRuNe cookie.

There seems to be two ways to get around the problem:
- either to set the IE6 privacy options to 'low'

or

- in IE6 go to Tools:Internet Options:Privacy:Web Sites:Edit and then add
pprune.org (ie not pprune.com) as a site to 'allow'.

As far as I can tell this is only going to cause immediate problems for new users with IE6 who try to sign up, and existing users who have IE6 installed but no longer have their PPRuNe cookies (hmmm delicious :) ) on their system for whatever reason.

Existing users who simply upgrade to IE6 and have kept their cookies intact appear to be immune from this rejection - I haven't noticed anyone mentioning it on the IE6 thread.

Presumably the authors of UBB will be aware of this and issue a fix???

[ 10 September 2001: Message edited by: Seat 32F ]

PPRuNe Dispatcher
10th Sep 2001, 21:01
Presumably the authors of IE6 are aware of this and will issue a fix?

---Mik

Seat 32F
10th Sep 2001, 22:01
Upon further investigation I don't think it's the authors of UBB or IE.

I think the root of the problem is that the pprune cookie comes from pprune.org but the site url is pprune.com, so IE6 sees it as a third party cookie which is rejected by the medium strength privacy settings.

The problem doesn't arise for those using www.pprune.org (http://www.pprune.org) as the site URL.

From the IE6 help file on the subject:

A first-party cookie either originates on or is sent to the Web site you are currently viewing. These cookies are commonly used to store information, such as your preferences when visiting that site.

A third-party cookie either originates on or is sent to a Web site different from the one you are currently viewing. Third-party Web sites usually provide some content on the Web site you are viewing. For example, many sites use advertising from third-party Web sites and those third-party Web sites may use cookies. A common use for this type of cookie is to track your Web page use for advertising or other marketing purposes. Third-party cookies can either be persistent or temporary.

slj
10th Sep 2001, 22:45
Download a nice little free programme called Ad-aware and see the cookies that are accepted and blocked by IE6

stickyb
11th Sep 2001, 06:16
32F Your right. Another nice feature of IE 6 is the privacy report (Under View).
On this particular page it is showing me that cookies from Addfreestats and valueclick have been blocked from this very page.

What_does_this_button_do?
11th Sep 2001, 16:40
As Seat 32F has said this is caused by third party cookies. I think that Danny (or his designated body) should make the following changes:

When someone accesses www.pprune.com (http://www.pprune.com) instead of presenting data it should re-direct to www.pprune.org (http://www.pprune.org) so when the Cookie is written to the users machine it is from a first party source (i.e. the .org address).

Buttons

PCav8or
16th Sep 2001, 07:10
I'm using pprune.org, but the problem still persists......... :confused:

KwikPhix
16th Sep 2001, 14:31
I've 'upgraded ?' to IE6 with a privacy setting of medium and am not having any problems.

Travelling Toolbox
18th Sep 2001, 08:28
I had found this same problem with IE5 on HIGH security setting. It had me stumped for a few hours till I reallised what was happening. The cookies are allowed through on any other setting but the max. Doh! Now I can log on no problem. :D