PDA

View Full Version : bachelor’s degree.

khaw
7th Oct 2008, 20:53
Ok so...Italian 18yo boy here, gonna graduate on june. And yes; wannabe.
I must admit, i got pretty high marks, and i do reckon that attending a good university could give me a certain job, and a "stable" future (yeye, ok...no stability indeed).
But i'd really like to become an airline pilot.
Italy is (sadly enough) the worst place ever to learn to fly; only random flightclubs, not even comparable to european flight academies.
So, i would consider two paths:
1) Going abroad, now, completely alone, and attending a "nice"" flighschool.
2) Getting a degree (i do enjoy economics), and then go on with a modular route (or even integrated, but it's not something i should worry about now, is it?).
I'd really like to go abroad now, but university is such a great experience, IMO, and it's still a nice backup just in case i wont find a job as a pilot (Airline Pilot, preferibly) (at least for the first years). On the other hand it could basically make me waste precious time, since know the earlier you get into the industry the better. But my concern: even if i don't take a degree, and go directly for the atpl course, will the industry be ready, in 2 years, to heal its wounds? 4(degree) + 2(atpl) years seem such a more reasonable amount of time given...and, although im not sure, a degree sort of shines in a CV, or at least matters something.
I could also learn french better in these 6 years, so that i will be able to attend AF's flighschool, and work for it, in a possible future.

Well, i'm asking for suggestions :D

Thank you in advance.
Regards.

Frankie

(too tired/lazy to reread the whole post, so i beg you all to forgive random grammar orrors. tx)

daria-ox
16th Oct 2008, 21:38
It's your and only your decision. A degree would be a back up career if anything goes wrong?

agent.oen
17th Oct 2008, 05:14
I would agree with the strategy of getting a degree. Whatever qualification you have studied for is never in vain... it can always be used. I have studied up to a Master's level and do not regret that. The studying has helped mature me in a way airline companies look positively to; the experience brought about during these years of studying and working also worked to my advantage. Moreover, working in a field related to your degree shows you what the other side of the coin is like and helps you make a better informed decision about going for the job of a pilot or not.

Through my degrees I worked in a variety of jobs related to my studies. But I was never satisfied with the job and kept changing to something different. I had studied my PPL and had an idea about the world of aviation. This brought me to realise that I would not be satisfied in any other job save that of being a pilot. I'll admit I was lucky though. I was in the right place at the right time and made the right connections. I landed myself (after a lot of hard work) in a sponsorship position.

AO

Celtic Pilot
17th Oct 2008, 08:33
I'd go the degree route,,,, nuthing bad can come of it, and it is always money in the bag, as you'll have a backup-plan to your airline future... now the industry is not in a good state.... by the time you come out of uni, you'llbe hitting it at hopefully a good time....

some people see it as debt, however i wod bet that they either didnt go to uni or they havnt done anything useful with there degree...!!!!

Groundloop
17th Oct 2008, 08:50
You can of course do both at the same time as there are a number of degree courses around that include a CPL or ATPL as part of it.

preduk
17th Oct 2008, 08:53
I agree with Agent.oen.

I've been doing my flight training studying at University and it's been great fun, it's taken me slightly longer because I don't have a fantastic income, but it's good enough.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you study abroad do the EU not pay for it?

khaw
19th Oct 2008, 15:45
Thank you for all the precious suggestions.
Ye, i think i'll be attending uni, and get a degree in economics. A non-aviation-related degree seems more useful and versatile to me. And i do think it's always good to include in a possible CV. Moreover, i'll have the opportunity of seeing how the industry evolves, thus to make the "right" choice.