PDA

View Full Version : CX hiring outlook

ToiletDucky
7th Oct 2008, 17:38
Hey guys haven't been around for some time. Have been staying busy so sorry if this was touched on not too long ago. I currently fly for Republic Airways in the US with about 1500hrs of ERJ jet time and 3400hrs total time. Any idea if that would get a second look at CX?

controlledCHAOS
7th Oct 2008, 18:16
You failed your first attempt? If I were you, I'd look for contract jobs over here in Asia. It pays a lot more than coming to CX as an SO. Plus you won't get screwed as badly.

ToiletDucky
7th Oct 2008, 18:49
No I've never applied. I just meant someone would take a second look at my resume. Not throw one in the trash because it wasn't good enough.

What contract jobs would you be talking about? I don't have any types except an ERJ sic type.

controlledCHAOS
7th Oct 2008, 20:48
Why wouldn't they look at you with that experience? They have hired FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS and Metro right seaters from Australia for crying out loud!! Talk about inappropriate experience!

Poke around PARC AVIATION's site and RISHWORTH, or just go online and search for contract companies. You'll be surprised what's out there!

Mate, stay away from Cathay Pacific if you can, this place will ruin your spirit and your career!

There are RJ operators in China and Japan that will pay you over 100K a year to start. Cathay S/Os earn a measly 4000kUS a month while living on the brink of getting a heart attack.

This place is doing nothing for me except for raising my blood pressure levels.

Good luck.

4 driver
8th Oct 2008, 01:28
Most of the new UFO's I fly with have similar experience (and they get to be relief straight away!)......shoot for an FO spot and see what happens. Beware CX though...it's significantly different than a US carrier.

A Scaler
8th Oct 2008, 04:06
Just dont come as a S/O. Flown with alot of DEFO's lately that have taken bases in the US with about the same hrs you described. Guys have been going 777 out of Canada and 744 out of LA.

broadband circuit
8th Oct 2008, 15:49
I think you'd be the perfect candidate, Mr ToiletDucky, to sit on the computer all day, and sift through postings on the PPRUNE Fragrant Harbour forum identifying threads that should be on the Wannabes forum. :ugh:

Moderators, can you please move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Thanks.

controlledCHAOS
8th Oct 2008, 19:46
You must be that d*ckhead I flew with recently who had issues with me because i was drinking from the red cup.

Get a life jackass

Apple Tree Yard
9th Oct 2008, 01:21
Hey CC....don't drink from the red cup. There is a reason we each have our own colour...it's called disease prevention. I have no doubt that drinking from the same cup as you would be hazardous to health. :ugh:

btw....are you really (and I mean really) 37...you write like you are just experiencing puberty.

Mr. Bloggs
9th Oct 2008, 03:49
Oh Dear, the junior cabin crew almost had a heart attack because I drank from the "yellow" cup. Not worthy of a Captain.:ugh:

Big picture stuff I know.:D:ok:

controlledCHAOS
9th Oct 2008, 05:47
We have captains here who actually use the colour of their cup as an indication of power.

Sick, sick place.

People...stay away from Cathay Pacific.

Bwatchful
9th Oct 2008, 05:51
SO in HKG is the best job in the company.

Kurtis Chukle Willis
9th Oct 2008, 06:28
Bwatchful,

Glad to hear you feel that way :ok:,you must keep a positive attitude because you will be there for a long, long, long, long ,long ,long ,long, long, long, long, long, long, long.....................time.

ENJOY!:D

Sir Donald
9th Oct 2008, 07:50
Please Ignore Mr Chuckles..................

controlledCHAOS
9th Oct 2008, 08:59
Why must one ignore someone who is speaking the truth? They hire you as S/O..you sit and sit waiting and longing for the upgrade (more money). All the while they hire people with sometimes LESS experience than you and place them in a higher paying position!

Explain to me why you're telling us to ignore those who are speaking the truth against CX management? Unless, of course, that you those sucking up for a position on the 3rd floor!

SOPS
9th Oct 2008, 09:00
You guys have different coloured cups, and you argue about which colour you will drink out of?? No wonder you have trouble getting solidarity in the AOA!!!

controlledCHAOS
9th Oct 2008, 09:10
You guys have different coloured cups, and you argue about which colour you will drink out of?? No wonder you have trouble getting solidarity in the AOA!!!

The whole point of the different coloured cups is so the cabin crew does not have to clean them. CX management, being control freaks that they are...have determined for us which colour we are entitled to based on rank. But some captains here actually see this as a way to show their power! (I AM THE CAPTAIN, THE RED CUP IS MINE!) If you accidentally drink out of his designated cup, you will be scolded and if you, god forbid do it on a linecheck, you are in for some nasty write-ups!! Something like this could easily be written up as "COMPLETELY UNFAMILIAR WITH THE CATHAY PACIFIC SOP"!! Which will then be left to the members of the STAR-CHAMBER to read between the lines and determine the severity of the offense and disciplinary actions to follow.

Sounds ridiculous, yes! But it is an average day at Cathay Pacific!

Welcome aboard, now you're really flying!!

SOPS
9th Oct 2008, 09:24
The cabin crew dont have to wash it??? Must get very mucky on a long haul, if you start with tea, the change to OJ and finish with coke.:E

Buttie Box
9th Oct 2008, 10:36
...not to mention the soup half way over Russia...

JAYTO
9th Oct 2008, 10:40
I would say it's not the case that the cabin crew don't HAVE to wash the cups, I think its more the case that the cabin crew WON'T wash the cups between drinks. (I make this assumption from reading previous threads about how well every one at CX gets on these days). Having different coloured cups ensures you use the same dirty cup the whole trip.
Now whether your first drink is from a red, green, blue or any other coloured cup is a case of " who gives a rats".............

Apple Tree Yard
9th Oct 2008, 10:55
...if you know what's good for you....you won't drink from my #$@^*&^ cup...!!!:ugh:

Loopdeloop
9th Oct 2008, 11:02
I had to get quite cross with one of our CC recently when she tried to give me a cup of tea in the Blue cup. I am the Relief F/O I said, and therefore entitled to drink from the Green cup. The operating F/O may look a bit older but he's junior to me and not relief qualified so he must drink from the Blue cup.
Don't these people get it? It's not difficult, and clear logical SOP's are important in aviation!

Svengali
9th Oct 2008, 11:10
I Don't care what colour cup I drink from, but by god the F/O had better not tick the left side of the flight plan.

turnandburn
9th Oct 2008, 12:22
no one seems to have mentioned that 10% of the population carry hepatitis here, plus its rife with foot and mouth disease. I flew with a cabin crew the other day who was upset about crew control not understanding that she was in quarantine with her kids with foot and mouth and they asked if she could get out of it! Think of any number of unfriendly diseases and you will want to have your own cup. Couldn't give a Shiiiit about the color of a cup but quite fond of my nuts don't want them in specimen jar just yet!

SOPS
9th Oct 2008, 12:32
cup colours? flight plan adding? column ticking? sounds very confusing:confused: What are the standard calls like flying an ILS:)

Hellenic aviator
9th Oct 2008, 13:44
Flying an ILS ?

Well, if you say "LAND 3, ROLLOUT, FLARE ARMED", there are a few that have been confused, since our standard call is "LAND 3, ROLLOUT ARMED, FLARE ARMED". :hmm:

Sleeve_of_Wizard
9th Oct 2008, 13:56
What a digression......... Poor Mr Toilet wanted to know about coming to CX, now we're talking about 744 Skippers gettin narky over their stoooopid red cup..... and ticking the CFP to confirm the waypoints are correct..... I'll tick the :mad: out of it, its only paper. Surely there's more important things to worry about here than cup colours.

JAYTO
9th Oct 2008, 14:01
maybe Mr Toilet now has his answer about whether to join CX or not..............

SMOC
9th Oct 2008, 15:12
Cups have nothing to do with rank, RED is Left, GREEN is Right & BLUE is/was for the F/E, got all a bit mixed up when people confused it with rank which it seems to have developed fully into now that YELLOW seems to be for the S/Os.

Just bring your own Starbucks hot cup they're much better anyway. :ok:

Surprised no one has mentioned the rubbish bag, location and knot tying is a prerequisite prior to cup usage!

Buttie Box
9th Oct 2008, 15:34
To rip or not to rip
That is the flight plan
Whether it is nobler in the mind to place the first page on the centre console
Or hide it away on the clip board where no-one can see it.

To die, to sleep, no more
Will I make the bunks
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
Of the woollen blankets rubbed against the nylon-covered floor.

The sandwiches from Hong Kong with that salty pink stuff therein
'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.
To die, to sleep, to sleep perchance to dream of Strawberry's
Ay, where's my rubber...?

BB

ToiletDucky
9th Oct 2008, 18:32
Sounds like the same thing as at a regional except more pay :D You guys seem to have a good amount of character though! I don't have my ATP. I didn't realize that was a requirement. I'd hate to go fork out a few thousand for a job I haven't received.

Dan Winterland
10th Oct 2008, 03:29
Command training is a real conundrum for the CC. They don't know that red means left and green means right. They think that red implies some sort of status and will often give the red cup to the pilot with 4 stripes even if he's sitting in the right seat. Then, with the second round of coffee and a different CC who knows the system, you get the other guys cup!

Quel confusion!

But you should see what happens when a blue mug gets put in the catering box by mistake :\

AnQrKa
10th Oct 2008, 10:35
CX hiring outlook.

This thread should be called CX retrenchment outlook.

The global economy is fast grinding to a halt.

Global traffic will drop markedly in the next couple of months and CX, like all airlines, will be trimming services.

Reckon the red team pilots are in for a royal shafting shortly.

tiger321
10th Oct 2008, 11:22
Now this little rumour might cause a stir.

Our former GMA allegedly told some senior Capt's that if a slow down should occur that the >55 STC extendees would be ushered out the door before the new KA/Oasis DEC's!!!

This all happened a few weeks ago before the worlds meltdown began.

I guess that the suggestion makes $$$$ sense for the company.

Things may just start getting interesting around town.

trevfly
10th Oct 2008, 16:33
Please dont lay off the poor DEC Ex KA Luddites, they believe CX owes them a living :ok:

Think a few of 'em might be sweating, though. Unusual this, as most rarely lift a finger to help anyone .
Except themselves.

Avius
10th Oct 2008, 19:46
One may have different views and opinions on CX management (I have neither), but Cathay has definitely NOT a history of laying-off people, when things get financially tough. That should be of some comfort to people who work there.

Whether it will be true this time, remains to be seen, but CX is certainly better positioned, than any other airline at the moment. Asia might weather the current crisis better than the rest, so I woudn't panic just yet.

The world is currently a crazy place, but people still need to travel and goods still need to be moved around the world. Oil is on its way down and central banks are beginning to address some of the problems. That in itself is more optimistic than people may expect.

My guess is, that the annual bonus for 2008/9 is severely at stake, no big deal...considering the alternative....

keep the chin up...

A. Le Rhone
10th Oct 2008, 20:51
trevfly...are you still caryying on about ex-KA luddites?

Is there something deficient with your comprehension skills or are you just stupid?

If possible, get this through your skull: Cathay is forcibly taking Dragonair 747's (as Dragonair allegedly had insufficient pilots). The pilots, already Captains for many years/decades are coming with their aircraft. There are more LH 747 seats than KA pilots to fill them, therefore even the thickest of CX F/O's will have a faster shot at command than would otherwise be the case.

Is this a difficult concept for you to understand or are you just illogical and addicted to whining?

controlledCHAOS
10th Oct 2008, 23:27
but Cathay has definitely NOT a history of laying-off people, when things get financially tough. That should be of some comfort to people who work there.

Laying people off? That's the civilized way to do it. It's the random sackings and then sending a list of the names of the victims to airlines around the globe who are hiring to further destroy their lives that is disturbing!

Capitalism
11th Oct 2008, 22:36
So, at Cathay.. are your paychecks at least all the same color?

Table For 1
16th Oct 2008, 00:10
Hmmmm Krone clearly the mental affliction that Trev suffers from is spreading..from what I remember most KA UK guys were forced to move...because a bunch of useless Antipodeans made the 400 operation untenable.

At the same time despite the number of KA UK guys in the DPA the support from the Airbus guys was deafening....but of course you were all too busy ensuring that you stood up for getting a Roster Agreement because lifestyle was your number one beef with KA.;)

Now just remind me of the detail of that Roster Agreement......that you still haven't signed.....or shock horror were you bought off by money??? I hear that KA are now reneging on some of the money deal as well?? :ok:

So please get off your high moral ground, wipe the tinted specs and maybe appreciate that a bunch of guys who made KA Cargo work were left out to dry by KA, CX and their ever so strong Airbus cousins....:ugh:

flyboy007
16th Oct 2008, 04:36
Concur with Sir Donald

Loopdeloop
16th Oct 2008, 11:55
Sir Donald
It didn't take that much effort to get on the list - about 15% of our pilots were on the list when it was made up

Fly747
16th Oct 2008, 13:04
SARS was literally just a little chicken **** bug, here and gone in a relatively short time. This is now becoming recognised to be the "big one" verging now on a depression that will take 3-5 years plus to work out.
So to get back to the thread there is no longer a positive hiring outlook, we're staring at the possibility of negative hiring.

WTB
16th Oct 2008, 16:29
Krone - what are you so upset about? Of course CX forced the issue with the freighters. We were due to have 5 744s in KA and now we are down to 2 with 24 Captains and 8 FOs.......how long do you think CX will let that carry on? (maybe it was all just to avoid TUPE?)

Many FCS guys never had any intention of coming to HKG and that's what staying in KA may eventually have meant. The aircraft were going anyway whatever the crews decided to do.

Sounds like a touch of sour grapes from you and Trev but stop worrying, I suspect you'll get your chance to go 'greedy green' soon enough whether you like it or not.....and stop worrying about other people's command slots, they were ours on our aircraft!

controlledCHAOS
16th Oct 2008, 19:31
If you guys had stood firm , then it would have all been very different me thinks.

Stood firm? Mate, we got no back bone at all. Cathay recruitment department did a very good job hiring losers like us so they can have their way. It is working pretty well (on their side).

seatrumpeter
16th Oct 2008, 22:59
I am in the pool for an S.O. position. I interviewed more than a year ago and was offered numerous join dates but could not do it for some personal reasons. Cathay was fantastic about waiting for me to be ready and major props to them for that.

But looks like I waiting too long. I just got an email from the hiring dept (P.R. to be precise) saying that there were no S.O. classes scheduled and that mid-late '09 was what was being bandied about. :-(

Seatrump

FIRESYSOK
16th Oct 2008, 23:33
Not sure what your circumstances were, but what were you thinking putting it off "numerous times", especially in this environment? No job is worth putting before dire family matters, but come on.

controlledCHAOS
17th Oct 2008, 09:10
Sir Donald,

You came to CX because you couldn't secure a decent flying job in your home country. Just like me, I wasn't good enough for QF, that's why I'm here.

We are all losers, mate. Don't kid yourself. CX knows it. And they are manhandling us accordingly.

Australia2
17th Oct 2008, 15:49
CC,

Some of us were "good enough" for QF and still ended up here, over the next two years maybe not such a bad call?

Time will tell I suppose,

Oz2

controlledCHAOS
17th Oct 2008, 17:12
Some of us even came from QF d1ckhead.

And now you're (they're) paying for your mistake.

MilPilot
18th Oct 2008, 00:12
Heard that the latest weekly update says that all hiring has stopped. Does that mean that if you haven't been given a class date yet you can forget about it? Or does it just mean that they are not going to interview anymore people?

sioux115
18th Oct 2008, 00:47
I know they are still doing second interviews for whatever that is worth. I know a guy who left for Hong Kong last night.:confused:

A Scaler
18th Oct 2008, 01:42
Yes all recruitment has been suspended at Cathay and Dragon, not sure what this means for guys that have a start date in the near future...

watsup
18th Oct 2008, 10:51
Sir Donald,
'' bellicose'', ''dichotomy'', etc. Keep it simple english so us B scalers and F/O's can understand what you are trying to say . I'm tired on going to the dictionary......KISS ( KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID)

Frogman1484
18th Oct 2008, 14:43
Yes all recruitment has been suspended at Cathay and Dragon, not sure what this means for guys that have a start date in the near future...

Ummm well...it means they do not have a start date...right?
:eek:

A Scaler
18th Oct 2008, 22:55
Dunno champ, you tell me.

So did they cancel start dates for guys that already had them?

555orange
19th Oct 2008, 11:01
Whatever sir D may say...the seniors did not stand with the juniors. My good friend lost his job because he was representing the group.. and the A scalers were too afraid of losing a few months pay. Reality hurts...power only comes in no.s. in this profession.

seatrumpeter
20th Oct 2008, 15:54
Firesysock -
Nice job judging me - you obviously have all the facts and can tell what a huge mistake I made. Well done.

Seatrump

Meatwad
26th Oct 2008, 14:58
What do the colored cups mean? What are the hiring mins. for direct entry FO for YVR, JFK, or YYZ?

Thanks

4 driver
27th Oct 2008, 23:07
Direct entry FO (777/340) hiring is done.
It's been an industrial nightmare as evidenced by the SO turnout at the recent "chat". Most of the SO's have equal or better time than the new UFO's anyway.
The FO vs. SO recruitment option was valid years ago; when there was an age limit of 27 on SO recruits. Nick got rid of that the same time he decided to start hiring from non-Commonwealth countries.
The expansion has slowed with the economy and strike at Boeing. They don't need FO's except for Freighters, so this latest mistake will quietly go away.

VforVENDETTA
28th Oct 2008, 04:27
Of all the ways some around here prove beyond any reasonable doubt that they're a f'kkking tool or ****** as some call it, this cup color joke is the best indicator. They insist on something so stupid like this and then as the flight goes on you realize how ignorant they are about rules & regulations outside their own little cocoon they've been existing inside of all these years. Every company has it's share of tools/wankers and this place is no exception. But I have to say I've come across more Captains here that don't give a rat's ass about who gets what color as long as they keep getting the same color all flight than a handful that do by far.

ACMS
28th Oct 2008, 05:16
Oh god,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get a life................

there has to be some way of seperating the cups for gods sake.

Move along........................