View Full Version : Humberside

harrogate
5th Oct 2008, 22:21
Anyone know about an incident at Humberside tonight?

We drove past at 18:27, just as a light aircraft (not sure what - I was driving) was climbing out on 03. He was going out fairly steep, and as he was over the A180, his nose dropped severely and the aircraft rolled slowly to the right. He recovered very low, either above or just north of the A180.

The missus and our passenger in the back said he actually disappeared below the horizon from our perspective (on the A18, just as we pulled up on Croxton Road), so he must have been really low. We pulled over and saw the plane recovering and banking left towards the Barton on Humber direction.

Loads and loads of flocks of seagulls heading towards the Humber overhead. Wondered if these had anything to do with it.

niknak
5th Oct 2008, 23:25
Harrogate,
the most likely explanation is a "practice engine failure after take off", i.e the instructer simulated and engine failure and the pilot had to choose a field to land in.
It could of course be something entirely different, but given your description I would wager your next months income on the above being the case.:p

harrogate
6th Oct 2008, 00:18
Yeah, seen them doing that at HUY before (and sat in one meself, back in my wannabe days).

But this one certainly looked too severe from where we were parked. I may be wrong, but I'm not convinced that it was commenced at a safe height.

What constitutes a 'safe height' for doing this?

pug
6th Oct 2008, 18:09
Anyone know about an incident at Humberside tonight?

We drove past at 18:27, just as a light aircraft (not sure what - I was driving) was climbing out on 03. He was going out fairly steep, and as he was over the A180, his nose dropped severely and the aircraft rolled slowly to the right. He recovered very low, either above or just north of the A180.

The missus and our passenger in the back said he actually disappeared below the horizon from our perspective (on the A18, just as we pulled up on Croxton Road), so he must have been really low. We pulled over and saw the plane recovering and banking left towards the Barton on Humber direction.

Loads and loads of flocks of seagulls heading towards the Humber overhead. Wondered if these had anything to do with it.
http://static.pprune.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://static.pprune.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=4441253)

If it was a blue cessna 150 it will have been me, i was being demonstrated a practise engine faliure on take off. Good fun!:yuk:

harrogate
6th Oct 2008, 18:13
Nay, it was a white plane.

Couldn't get the details. I was driving. Reluctantly.

pug
6th Oct 2008, 18:23
White with blue stripe, think due to the time and the fact there was only us and a beech twin in the circuit it could only have been us... I heard no one else call practise fan stop either..

He took control at around 2-300 ft just past the A18 and nose down swung towards a clearing between Kirmington village and a clump of trees as the nearest 'soft spot' then back to the climb.