PDA

View Full Version : NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high

Pages : 1 [2]

SASless
24th Jan 2012, 12:33
So I thought, well all of the off shore guys and their pax have to do HUET courses, which does involve a big bit of capital expenditure at centralised areas, why not have it mandatory for all NVMC, even all EMS pilots to do a mandatory sim ride involving total loss of visibility and then final disorientation.

I figured it’s all too easy on a check ride under the hood, (like this dude) recovering from unusual attitudes day or night or inadvertent IMC penetration, with a safety pilot beside you. That’s no big deal is it 'cos you know he ain't gonna let it crash so how stupid is it as preparation against this type of crash?

In that situation they don’t get the real logic which is aimed at teaching one to recover a sticky situation and thus they get a false sense of confidence, of winning.

Give the Man a Gold Star!

You sum it up in a very good way....and I fully agree with you on this one!

When it happens for real...when you feel that JOLT of Adrenalin...your hand tenses...your butt clinches....your breathing pauses...and you realize....that you are in a very life threatening situation....the Checkride IIMC exercise just doesn't even come close to the the real thing.

There's been studies done on how quickly one can lose control of the aircraft....perhaps we need to see a study done on what percentage of pilots do lose control following IIMC.

SIM rides would be a good step forward but still would lack the psychological stress that the real event produces.

Aerobot
24th Jan 2012, 15:44
That would be great. I'm lucky with my company in that we train twice as often as our nearest competitor, and all the recurrent sessions except one are at night. Our checkrides are all under NVG's.

But even so, when the man switches your eyes off and you're over the big black, without so much as a farm light to tell you which way is down and then he does all that stuff to mess your SA about - sure, you're uncomfortable but you still know that he's not going to let you get unrecoverable. The sim has no such self-interest.