PDA

View Full Version : Shackleton

dont overfil
7th Oct 2008, 14:36
I was recently in the cockpit of a Shackleton and was stumped by the purpose of the small yolk within the control yolk. Somebody here will know.
DO

virgo
7th Oct 2008, 14:46
Nose-wheel steering.

dont overfil
7th Oct 2008, 15:41
The nosewheel tiller was on the left cockpot wall.
DO

bluesilk
7th Oct 2008, 16:27
if memory serves (which it may not!!) that was for wheel brakes.

virgo
7th Oct 2008, 19:13
My memory's a bit shakey too after 40 years but I'm absolutely SURE that inner yoke is the nose-wheel steering control. (The hydraulic anti-skid brakes were rudder pedal operated - I think maybe the MR 2 version had hand operated pneumatic brakes ?)
Was the lever on the LH side of the cockpit in front of the throttle quadrant ? If so, it was the flying control gust-lock engage lever .

pmills575
8th Oct 2008, 07:27
Assuming that the Shackleton was a MK3, the smaller "yoke" in front of the main control on the left hand seat (only) is indeed the nose wheel steering. The locking lever just beyond the throttles is the rudder lock.

http://www.gatwick-aviation-museum.co.uk/shack/graphics/cockpit.jpg

Peter Mills

Gatwick Aviation Museum

virgo
8th Oct 2008, 09:29
Which buttons are those ?
(If you mean the ones on the control handwheel, one is the radio and intercom Press-To-Transmit (PTT) button (Left, if I remember) and the other is the weapon/store release button used when pilot-bombing (as compared to bomb-aimer bombing)

sedburgh
8th Oct 2008, 10:16
The last answer I got to this question was: "I'm not allowed to tell you what the 'N' is for but the 'C' is for 'Conventional'."

pmills575
8th Oct 2008, 11:54
That's strange, we always thought that it was a request to the galley for
"Coffee with sugar"
"Coffee No sugar"
At least that's what I tell people!

PM

virgo
8th Oct 2008, 13:07
We knew how to live in those days............. padded adjustable armrests, an ashtray at every crew position and when you wanted a break, Dunlopillo mattresses in the nose and tail...............Bowls of lovely NATO Stew and they paid us lots of money to do it !!!! Happy days !

Wassermaranow
9th Oct 2008, 16:35
stumped by the purpose of the small yolk within the control yolk

Perhaps they served a double yolked egg for breakfast that day?:p