PDA

View Full Version : honest opinions

ohtofly
30th Aug 2000, 14:51
Hi
I have recently started a new company to fund my flying ambitions and would like the feedback of as many people as possible.

Would you please have a look at the site below and return any comments you have.

I am trying to build an enjoyable site for people to visit bringing different things together.

Let me know if you enjoy the content or suggest how it may be improved http://www.dogsounds.com

------------------
yet another wannabe

mackone
30th Aug 2000, 17:01
Try selling Amway or Nutrametics, Avon, even insurance!!

pilot999
31st Aug 2000, 01:22
Didn't do anything for me, sorry (a bit like dog "sh**"{ not "sounds"!)

stickyb
31st Aug 2000, 11:19
Doesn't do anything for me either I am afraid.
You may have some nice graphics, but the pages are very complex and takes ages to load.
Test it yourself. Get yourself connected via a modem at say 38K and then try your own site out. WOuld you be prepared to pay money waiting for that to happen?
Remember the KISS principle if you are competing with others

ohtofly
31st Aug 2000, 12:47
Thanks guys

We are currently working on a flash version of the site to speed downloads.

p999

thanks for your comment but is it really constructive? an explanation of why it does nothing for you may be of more use to me that insults

Buffy Summers
1st Sep 2000, 00:49
HOW long did that take to download?!!!! (56k modem)
I managed to write 3 e-mails and play 3 games of expert level minesweeper in the time, so I reckon about 15 minutes!!
Did nothing for me either. You asked for honest opinion.
Even when it did download, not all the graphics downloaded.
And what exactly is the site for/ does it do?
You can download music? You could do us a website (at that download rate, I don't think so).
What else? How are you going to make money?
Whats it all about?

stickyb
1st Sep 2000, 10:56
Rather than spend effort on a flash version, take a long cold hard look at the content and then hit delete for all the stuff that is not totally necessary. Try and view it through someone else's eyes (and modem!)

ohtofly
1st Sep 2000, 17:19
Thanks to all who replied

It looks like we will have to revisit the design of the site.

Revenue is generated by the playing of the music and sale of the albums, currently a couple of hundred dollars a month, The sale of the strip is also beginning to attract interest form outside parties and the company has signed a few new clients for site design.

I still believe the concept of the site is a good one and we are searching for more artists and new comic strips to ad to the site.

We will look into the download speeds and attempt to make a compromise between quality and speed.

Once again thankyou for your opinions and suggestions and hopefully I can utilize them to get me into the sky.

------------------
yet another wannabe

DreamCatcher
4th Sep 2000, 22:22
Hi ohtofly -

No one likes being harsh, but sometimes it's a good way to learn!

Do a web development course. You HAVE to realise that the AVERAGE user has a 7 second attention span (download time costs money!), a 486 or P90, and a 28.8 modem. To speed up download times they will turn off graphics and sound. Now what's left on your site?

Be crisp, sharp and professional. Don't have 'intro' pages - it's a waste of time downloading. People want to be straight in to your site to see what you have to offer. Cater for the majority and put yourself in THEIR place. What would YOU want to see?

I'm a professional web developer in the civil service: if you want other advice, I'd seriously be pleased to assist if I can. E-mail me.

Regards

Dr. Red
7th Sep 2000, 14:25
The site didn't do much for me, mainly because it doesn't interest me. No speed problems though - it took me 15 seconds to download on a University network in New Zealand.

------------------
There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth.