PDA

View Full Version : Cloning Mobile SIM Cards ?

fobotcso
27th Aug 2000, 21:17
I upgraded my mobile to a 3-band Motorola and got a new SIM. I can use the new SIM in the old 'phone as well to take advantage of the installed hands-free kit in my car. Changing it over from 'phone to 'phone is tedious.

Can I clone the SIM (I still have the now defunct old SIM) to allow me to keep the old 'phone in the car permanently? If so how/where? No laws being broken here, but I'll bet it would break some rule or other.

Would the world as we know it come to an end if both 'phones were switched on at the same time?

Any tips would be appreciated. fobo

Mycroft
29th Aug 2000, 00:18
Most phone packages allow you to use additional phones on the account - they may be able to supply SIM cards, but would probably charge for them

STP
1st Sep 2000, 03:09
Cloning can be done, you need a card reader/programmer but the problem is that you need to ensure that only one phone is switched on at any one time otherwise two phones are trying to log on to the computer with identicle identities and the network will cut you off.

Cant think of the card reader/programmer provider, but the same ones are used to programme TV D2Mac cards. To allow pirate viewing of Swedish TV.

fobotcso
1st Sep 2000, 12:22
Many thanks. It needs some thought. I think I'll start up front with Vodafone.

STP
1st Sep 2000, 13:37
In a flash of divine inspiration, I remembered try this link: www.crownhill.co.uk (http://www.crownhill.co.uk)

its a card programmer that you need but be warned, it is not easy peasy if you are new to pirating smart cards!

fobotcso
5th Sep 2000, 17:37
STP, thanks for that. I'll look at that option when I have the time to devote all my (increasingly limited) attention span to it. Will report back idc

airwave
9th Sep 2000, 10:57
You might find that the network operator and their lawyers will be somewhat dipleased with your idea. SIMs and all of their imbedded information and encryption normally remain the property of the operator. Each SIM has a unique IMEI number which is linked to your also unique mobile number at their switch. These two numbers are coded together to allow the network to find you wherever you are in the worldwide GSM system (roaming agreements dependent). Operators can assign more than one mobile number to SIM (work number and after hours number = different tariffs) but not sure about the other way around. When you screw your card up by trying to hack the encryption, expect to fork out a new registration fee for the agro and be thankful you didnt get sued for breaching Intellectual Property Rights !! Another option: invest in a new car kit. ;-)