PDA

View Full Version : Tristar to the air appeal (well it worked for the vulcan!)

Kengineer-130
6th Oct 2008, 21:22
http://www.airshows.org.uk/2005/airshows/riat/mix/raf_tristar_1.jpg

With your help and financial contribution, maybe we can rescue one of these historic aircraft from the murkey depths of Brize, and can return the aged beast to the skys. It would be of great benefit to all the troops who are somewhat miffed at the lack of AT avaliable, even though they get free Hotel rooms at the delightful gateway :yuk: (night after night!), and their oppo's get more free sunshine days :ok::.... So dig deep, and just think of the wonderful sight of the tri-motor staggering it's way into the sky once more... It might only be a pipe dream, but maybe one day.......

TRISTAR TO THE SKYS APPEAL :}... Please give generously :ok:

mymatetcm
7th Oct 2008, 13:25
a big contribution for the a/c pictured could come from a ropey firm near Cambridge. Might be the last ever pic of 949 getting airborne.

Seldomfitforpurpose
7th Oct 2008, 14:25
After a phone call received today maybe this fund needs setting up ASAP :(

Lord Elpus
7th Oct 2008, 17:46
Shurely shum mishtake! If Meester Marshall say it will fly on a given date, then shurely it will! Honest guv!:ugh:

DummyRun
7th Oct 2008, 18:08
let me guess; Mr Marshall has already invested the pre-payment from the MoD for the tristar project in a safe little offshore account in Iceland? mmmmm, oh must go, doorbell's just rung.............

chinnyrationcarrier
8th Oct 2008, 12:29
:{

Any danger of getting airborne?!

I really did ask for it I suppose, 3rd time this year and 4th Tristar failure. I only asked my oppo at what point it WAS going to break down this time and we didn't even get as far as the check in desk it happened that quickly.

In fact, I've just heard that the flight that did go has just taxiied back in as well. Why the f*ck are we still flying this knackered aircraft.

I've got a fiver for the Tristar to the air appeal if that helps. It'd probably pay for a few frames; wouldn't it? :E

Here's waiting. :(

collbar
8th Oct 2008, 12:51
Just to help. No more planned charter/C17 runs, direct to BST. I heard the last C-17 went home empty!!! Surely .. Surely the planners must be talking to each other to out to help the guys at the front. They do deserve a much better service

99luftballon
8th Oct 2008, 13:33
Tristar to the Air appeal sounds a worthwhile cause, the only problem is what happened to it's predecessor!

The last time I saw it, the Vulcan was sat on the ground gathering moss at Brize Norton, sound familiar?:ugh:

Seems we could cut out the middle man and keep our money in the bank, where it's safe!?!

FlapJackMuncher
8th Oct 2008, 14:24
Keep money in the Bank?
Are you stark staring mad? :}
Wibble

Charlie Luncher
8th Oct 2008, 22:08
There is a dodgy one at a certain middle eastern airfield, you just have to pay the fees owing, she looks good to go, there is also a fine collection of various Russian aircraft starting with nato desig C.
Charlie sends
I was never there - honest :O

chinnyrationcarrier
9th Oct 2008, 09:26
This is getting tiresome now!

Today it's the brake system.

helidriver
9th Oct 2008, 13:43
I was delayed by 24h on my flt to theatre and was then delayed 48h in theatre en route back to blighty for my r&r which I couldn't claim back due to a/c availability and now I'm stuck in gateway for at least 24h! Have no issues with truckies or sh fleet operators despite their poor servicability rate in theatre but I do hope those typhoon gits are really enjoying themselves at the expense of the rest of the operational armed forces!

Stitchbitch
9th Oct 2008, 20:34
Helidriver, how exactly are 'those Typhoon gits' responsible for the lack of AT?:eek:

spannersatKL
9th Oct 2008, 20:52
Seems we could cut out the middle man and keep our money in the bank, where it's safe!?!

I think not at the moment!!! Under the mattress probably better !

brit bus driver
9th Oct 2008, 21:14
Helidriver, how exactly are 'those Typhoon gits' responsible for the lack of AT?

Perhaps because there's c0ck all left in the proverbial pot? Far better to have 250-odd Typhoos than some capable AT....

helidriver
9th Oct 2008, 22:20
perhaps typhoon gits was a bit harsh however bbd has hit the nail on the head. the blame must lie at the feet of those officers who canvassed fj in favour of at and sh during ep rounds! Wouldn't have any thing to do with cas being historically fj would it?

Dengue_Dude
10th Oct 2008, 07:01
Blimey guys! The aircraft were second-hand when I got there in 1990. They were only going to see out the Millenium.

Are we saying that hasn't happened and they're past their Sell-By date?

Surely not . . .

It's part of the UK MoD policy of putting aircraft from front-line service (sic) straight to a museum - I believe there's a tax break and lots of enthusiasts then want to put them right and pretend they were 'brilliant and flawless'.

Sad to see, as they were very nice aircraft when I was lucky enough to train for a different life, on them.

6foottanker
10th Oct 2008, 08:33
l'll give you a fiver towards 'Tristar to the graveyard' if you'd prefer. It's probably more than it's scrap value anyway.

I've had a good idea though - use all the back seats in the Typhoon 2 seaters to replace the Tristar - no need for expensive make up for stewards, in flight catering or carrriage of body armour on the jet, and even hopping all the way to Afg, it'd still be quicker.

plans123
10th Oct 2008, 09:14
How much would it cost to stick some DAS on an OmniAir DC10 and use them?

cornish-stormrider
10th Oct 2008, 14:01
don't put me down for a fiver for this lifex pile of turds that we use as an airbridge. I'll throw a fiver into a kitty to buy a replacement straight from mr airbus or mr boeing. In fact lets have a shop floor buyout of the airbridge and run the bastard ourselves, I'm sure we can scrounge up a DAS if we need it and use the traditional forces currency to expedite the papertrail, we all put in, say £100 and form a company - Airbridges*R*RSE or summat, find a less knackered shiny shiny big plane and do it ourselves. We get someone like Bruce D to fly it.

Job done - huge paycheck and lots of happy troops.

Whose in??

Stitchbitch
10th Oct 2008, 21:09
I'm in. Perhaps Bruce D could have Gary N as a co-pilot? We wouldn't need a shiny jet, BBMFs Dakota won't be doing much now the season has ended (and its 'S' more than the Tri *...).:ok:

pigsinspace
11th Oct 2008, 12:07
Must be the standard of engineers they now employ...was never that bad in my day young man...

glhcarl
11th Oct 2008, 15:06
Anyone replying to this thread stationed at Brize in 2000/2002?