PDA

View Full Version : MS Critical Update - For What it is Worth.

addinfurnightem
19th May 2000, 02:18
This won't be exactly ground-breaking stuff for those of you that actually understand computers but:
Some time ago I followed a Winmag Tip of The Day and re-configured my desk-top stand alone PC and showed it as a "Network User", the idea being to give better file/memory management. Having reconfigured I still got "Critical Update" notifications but was denied access, so, having gone to Start/Windows Update and having the machine scanned for a minute or so I was then told "No Critical Updates Available at this time". I knew this to be wrong otherwise why the notification in the first place?
Have just re-configured to desk-top PC and lo and behold over 2000kbs of critical update waiting to be downloaded and installed.
If you want to check your config. then go: My Computer/Control Panel/System/Performance and under 'Advanced Settings' go File System/Settings, check the window and make sure you are shown as a Home PC User and NOT as a Network User. (Win98v2).
As I said, only for us beginners!!!!

Ausatco
20th May 2000, 15:25
addinfunightem,

How were you denied access? Were you told that Explorer was operating in Compatibility Mode and to open IE and navigate to the windows update site?

I think I'm chasing the same bug as you.

Thanks

AA

addinfurnightem
21st May 2000, 11:32
Yes "Compatibility Mode" indeed, now awaiting next Critical Update just to confirm my theory but the problem only started after I had configured myself as a network, so think that is the answer, go back to 'home PC user'. Cheers.

Ausatco
21st May 2000, 14:01
I went to the MS Knowledgebase and downloaded a few articles on IE Compatibility mode. I found why mine had got into Compatibility mode and it wasn't the Network Server performance setting - it was finger trouble on my part http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Now I've got rid of Compatibility mode, I'm going to go back to the Network Server performance setting and see how it goes.

In case you're interested, here are the article numbers.

Q216697 to uninstall Compatibility mode
Q197311, Q231482, for good background info.

Also found Q153790 on improving performance in IE - you might find it useful.

Good luck

AA

[This message has been edited by Ausatco (edited 21 May 2000).]

addinfurnightem
21st May 2000, 14:59
Thanks, will read on!

Ausatco
23rd May 2000, 18:35
And just to close off, Addy, have uninstalled Compatibility mode and been running Network Server since the last message and no probs.

How's it with you?

AA