PDA

View Full Version : UK Flights - NEW YORK

OliWW
6th Oct 2008, 17:21
Im looking to go to New York in October next year, and I am un familiar with this route to a extent, and was wondering if anyone knows the best airport to fly from with the best airlines and planes and things...

Cheers :ok:

jongeman
6th Oct 2008, 19:47
If you live in Derbyshire, then Continental or Delta from MAN or Continental from BHX. Expect to pay approx £350 to £400.

Tower1
6th Oct 2008, 20:50
Also rumor elsewhere that AA are looking at a Manchester-JFK. and Continental to upgrade one of there flights to a 767-400 from Manchester.
regards,
Jubilee

Michael SWS
6th Oct 2008, 21:35
Newark is (in my opinion) a much nicer airport to arrive at and depart from than JFK. There's a railway station right alongside with frequent trains to Penn Station in the heart of midtown Manhattan ($15 each way). Immigration is relatively quick and courteous, and security is pretty efficient when leaving the country.

BlueTui
7th Oct 2008, 00:10
Heathrow-Newark on Virgin Atlantic will always get my vote any day.

Take a look at

www.v-flyer.com (http://www.v-flyer.com)

raffele
7th Oct 2008, 11:23
It depends on how far you're willing to travel to leave the UK!

Virgin and BA are recommended by me, but that means braving Heathrow... From what I hear Continental from BHX is recommended by others on the site, and if I remember rightly the IFE's getting upgraded on these flights from big screens

It also depends on whether you wish to get caught up at JFK, or are willing to go a bit further out of town to Newark. Have a search on the forums for people's views JFK vs EWR

EditCheck out this related thread on Continental UK-NYC: http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/328504-continental-airlines.html

Avman
7th Oct 2008, 19:27
Of all the American carriers, Continental is the best. For minimum hassle use their BHX-EWR service. Avoid LHR/LGW like the plague. MAN is reasonably OK.

Diver_Dave
7th Oct 2008, 23:19
I'm in Cancun at the moment.
Courtesy of Continental Via Newark.

Superb service in Econ, can't recommend them
highly enough.

Oh and the Wyndham Garden Hotel at Newark is
worth remembering if you needa stop over.

Regards

DaveA

dubh12000
8th Oct 2008, 11:46
Let me reiterate what has already been said, Newark Newark Newark.

TopBunk
8th Oct 2008, 12:46
Virgin and BA are recommended by me, but that means braving Heathrow

Up front, I admit that I work for BA but I will not flatter then when not deserved!

This may not be applicable in this case and it may be that a more local airport would be your better bet BUT I do commend T5. It started with (a deservedly) bad press, but it really is now working pretty much as planned and is an order of magnitude better than any other experience at LHR. If coming via the motorway network it is also very much more accessible than T1,2,3 or 4.

Do yourselves a favour and try it at least once, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Even the inbound and outbound holding delays at LHR seem better these days when the weather is 'normal'.

Standing by for incoming!

lexxity
8th Oct 2008, 18:33
I would have suggested BA, but they are dropping the MAN/JFK at the end of this month. :{ Ah well, they were always good on this one and I'm hoping for more of the same on Friday.

Have heard a lot of good about Conty too. :ok:

Der absolute Hammer
8th Oct 2008, 19:10
If you like them...BA have the only day time flight from JFK to LHR?
Newark is the best.
Philadelphia is not so far away.
By October 2009 perhaps nothing flies.
Come back in six months?

PaperTiger
8th Oct 2008, 20:07
From March, AF will do LHR-JFK (they have dropped LAX). I'm not recommending them y'unnerstand but they might be offering some promos.

lexxity
9th Oct 2008, 12:59
BA have the only day time flight from JFK to LHR?

VS do this too. I highly recommend doing a day flight back, as you get back to LHR around 1900, connect onto the latest connection North get home tired around 2300/0000 ish. No jetlag at all. :ok:

call100
12th Oct 2008, 03:48
Just returned from a trip. Birmingham to Newark on Continental....Superb service...No hassle. Easy transfers...Highly recommended.

UniFoxOs
14th Oct 2008, 11:04
Concur with all the above recommendations re Continental from BHX, self and Mrs UFO did it a couple years ago liked it, her daughter last year same, train to central NY easy option.

If you get friends to take you to BHX get them to drop you at the train station, it's much easier than the airport terminal, you just get the shuttle over.

UFO

shobakker
14th Oct 2008, 14:04
Continental everytime for me - have flown from MAN-EWR, no issues at EWR, in flight service was excellent.

starbuck123
14th Oct 2008, 14:28
I was in New York last month and flew with Virgin Atlantic from Heathrow to JFK. Flight was really good, nice aircraft. Didn’t have any problems at JFK. There were no long queues at security and baggage arrived quickly. I think JFK is closer to Manhattan but i suppose depending on where you live and where in NY you are going depends on the airport. I personally dont think there is much in it with BA and Virgin. I fly quite regular with these and they are always good. American airlines are good however i have only ever flown on internal American flights such as US Airways. What is strange is there was more leg room on the American internal flight than the virgin or BA international flight. Very odd!

copeland1957
21st Oct 2008, 21:02
Recently booked flights to US with Continental through my Royal Bank of Scotland Royalties account. The girl in the call centre has allocated seats in row 21 OB and 24 IB.

I notice from the Continental website that changes can be made online. Was hoping for extra legroom seats but note that their seating plans show a good number of seats as "premium seats". Are they available for anybody to reserve or frequent flyers or what?

PaperTiger
23rd Oct 2008, 17:34
Re: ContinentalPreferred Economy Class Seating: Elite members may ask for "Elite" seating, a window or aisle seat in the front of the Economy cabin, when they confirm their travel. Elite seating is awarded on a first-come, first served basis. (Not available on Delta Air Lines or KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.)