PDA

View Full Version : M6 Footballer.....as seen on CCTV....which begs the question?

Krystal n chips
6th Oct 2008, 16:55
OK, so he 's been found guilty and sentenced.....fair enough.......however....the question is, why, when his driving was so erratic and noted on camera, wasn't he stopped much earlier.....it's about 70 odd miles from Bolton to Keele....which should have been ample time one would have thought to stop him....watch the video and make your own minds up.

BBC NEWS | England | Death crash footballer is jailed (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7654430.stm)

tony draper
6th Oct 2008, 17:17
Possibly the recording search was not carried out until after the accident?
There are so many CCTV cameras in our towns and on our roads it is just not possible to watch them all all the time so they are all recorded, usually a search of recorded material looking for evidence, (which can take hours or even days) would be carried out after an incident.
:cool:

CUNIM
6th Oct 2008, 17:28
This is a particularly tragic case where our police services are under political pressure to fill in forms to meet targets rather than out on the beat or monitoring vehicle behaviour. We really need to see our police service given the opportunity that they want. To do the job that they joined up to do with the support of the general public. Very sad to see the young man destroy his own future as well as killing two children whose future was never allowed to happen.

Rainboe
6th Oct 2008, 18:34

Paracab
6th Oct 2008, 19:56
Its fairly easy to see if a belt is being worn - it shows up in the silhouette formed by your seat and the B pillar. Air bags are all very well, but won't stop you leaving the vehicle via a window in a collision.

Concur that the footballer footage was pulled retrospectively, not enough operatives to monitor every camera and certainly not enough coppers on the ground to deal with all the erratic driving caught on camera.

frostbite
6th Oct 2008, 19:57
I can't explain why, but this particular chav has really got me extremely annoyed where I normally just curl my lip at such events.

Back when he was charged I was rather peeved when he was given bail, but then I thought maybe it was to give him the opportunity to top himself and save us the expense of a trial and his keep. No such luck. I also recall there was mention of his having no insurance - hopefully, for that poor sod confined to a wheelchair, that wasn't the case?

Were I passing sentence, it would have been for three times what he actually got today.

Strelnikov
6th Oct 2008, 20:15
Thats right,

I demand a police-state that fully staffs all CCTV in a coherent and organised manner to flush out these villains before they kill anyone*.

Mrs Barrel-Chested Blue Rinse Harradin (retired)

* Except for when such intrusion gives me the need to complain about the "nanny state" that is is a needless burden on the tax bill.

G-CPTN
6th Oct 2008, 20:56
The next stage (we already have ANPR (http://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/news_info/departments/anpr/index.htm) being done by computer) will be monitoring of all CCTV images for erratic behaviour with datalink signals to nearby Police patrol cars so that they can 'intercept'.
(A recent case on M6:- a truck driver noticed another truck being driven erratically and wandering onto the hard shoulder, and saw a 'glow' from a laptop computer on which the rogue river was watching a video. A call to the Police brought a patrol car to intercept (after observing the driver viewing the laptop screen):-
BBC NEWS | England | Cumbria | TV-viewing lorry driver sentenced (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7650532.stm) )

Icare9
7th Oct 2008, 11:00
There is no excuse for McCormick's behaviour. How on earth he thought he should (or even could) drive after drinking until 2 am? It's easy to make judgement calls after the event, and I apologise wholeheartedly for raising this comment, but why was the Toyota still in the middle lane when, from the excerpt provided, there seems to have been nothing in the inside lane?
I see it all too often that the inside lane can be clear for miles yet people tootle along in the middle lane forcing everyone into the outside lane. To all "middle lane hogs" please stop and think that the next idiot storming up the motorway could involve you.
And, Rainboe, please belt up as I'd hate to lose you from this forum!! You seem surprised to have been stopped for not wearing a seat belt. Why didn't you buckle up as soon as you started the car? Will you please do so, from now on??