PDA

View Full Version : Anti-virus proggies - any recommendations please?

brockenspectre
15th Jul 2001, 14:05
Hi - I have been using McAfee's Clinic (including VirusScan) for a few years now and recently the software was updated. Since the update my computer either hangs when searching for an update to VirusScan or fails to download updates and won't even let me run the program from the website! I pay an annual subscription which has got a couple of months to run BUT I would really appreciate recommendations for an alternative supplier.

Friends (not Ppruners) have mentioned Norton and Computer Associates?

I did search the archive but the last thread on this was about a year ago so forgive me for requesting an "update" on opinion!

:confused:

brockenspectre
15th Jul 2001, 14:12
I should add that I have e-mailed McAfee several times for advice and have had NO feedback! I am loth to run up a transatlantic phone bill calling their techsupport...a friend in the USA when back from vacation in a couple of weeks is going to call McAfee but..I am just fed up with a company that is focussing on the corporate world in preference to the single-user!!

Avtrician
16th Jul 2001, 12:11
Got to www.Vet.com.au (http://www.Vet.com.au) . they have an evaluation version of their software available. I think they have links to their site in th UK as well.

I use this AV prog, and find it very easy to use and effective as well. ;)

bcfc
16th Jul 2001, 15:17
This one is good. antivirus.ca.com Its free with regular updates.

I used to work for them (no this is not a spam - I hate this company and wish the pox on the lot) but know that its rated very highly. Its free because it cost them more to administer than charge for and it does a good job in bu**ering the competition.

Man-on-the-fence
17th Jul 2001, 02:01
I had a spam mail from Computer Associates a few weeks ago. InnoculateIT is no longer available. If you still have it they will continue to update it for free.

They are now selling something similar.

bcfc
17th Jul 2001, 12:34
I hate them even more now...if that's humanly possible :mad:

Ausatco
18th Jul 2001, 17:48
I go with Avtrician. Vet is excellent, never had a conflict, never been infected.

Cheers

AA

Avtrician
19th Jul 2001, 07:07
Nice to have some-one agree with me for a change :)

Squiddley
19th Jul 2001, 15:06
My money's still on Norton Anti-virus. I use Norton Systemworks 2001, and am very happy with its performance - even under WinME (!)

The single best feature for me is that when emails are downloaded by Eudora, they go through NAV first. Any infected attachments, embedded trojans etc. are picked up and you're given options to delete, clean or quarantine the file(s) infected.

This great and unobtrusive feature has netted a few nasty-looking viruses and saved no end of grief. The updating process for virus definitions is also quick, effortless and free.

It also keeps an "eye" open for web pages with harmful java scripts and other such technical stuff, but so far so good on that score.

Good luck.

Biggles Flies Undone
19th Jul 2001, 16:07
I've used the AVG programme ever since I saw it recommended in the Daily Telegraph weekly PC supplement. It's free and updates itself automatically at least once a month. I guess you only really find out how good an anti virus prog is if you catch one (!) but, touch wood, so far so good.
http://www.grisoft.com/

BlueDiamond
19th Jul 2001, 16:26
Having used several different anti-virus programmes and evaluated others, I bought Vet a year ago and thoroughly reccommend it. You can update your files every day from the internet free of charge thus making it almost a certainty that the cure will reach you before the virus does. Excelllent programme.

Avtrician
19th Jul 2001, 17:46
Vet coupled with ZoneAlarm (a Firewall Program) is double protection, I just tried to open a Flash inclusion in my Email, and zone alarm had quarantined it. I had to click yes open it about 4times to see it.

Vet works by checking your memory and intercepting all disk write operations, this slows down disk access a tad but thats the price for security.

TR4A
19th Jul 2001, 19:47
Norton AntiVirus 2001. Squiddley is right, Norton identifies viruses as you download and lets you know as it happens. They update the virus definitions weekly.

KwikPhix
21st Jul 2001, 00:43
I tried McAfee as it came bundled with my Compaq had loads and loads of problems (so did lots of others on the Compaq support forum for my model) I deleted McAfee and installed Norton A-V 2000.All my problems disappeared. I have only ever been infected once(i think?) and Norton got it,caged it and i then binned it.So Norton Anti-Virus gets my vote, easy updates,scheduler and interface.

blackadder
22nd Jul 2001, 09:50
Squiddley said it better than I could have.
Norton detected Sircam 5 times this week. :D

CrashDive
22nd Jul 2001, 13:07
I've just spent £3600 on Sophos (see: http://www.sophos.com ) as an anti-viral solution for my Airline - above price covers 100 users, and 10 servers, for two years.

supermunk
22nd Jul 2001, 17:42
I've used Sophos for the last 18 months and can't recommend them too highly. Have a look at their site.
http://www.sophos.com

I too had trouble with Network Associates and binned them.