PDA

View Full Version : :) My first post lol

fadedfootpaths
6th Oct 2008, 07:48
Hi there, This is my first post on pprune. I currently hold a JAA FATPL and have about 180+ hours of flying, should i right now get a FI rating or get a type rating(with those first officer programs with eagle jet). I am really confused now lol and if i now get an instructor rating what are my chances of getting a job(dont matter if its low paid) in europe(i am an indian)

Romeo India Xray
6th Oct 2008, 08:19
This suject has already been done a number of times. It will come down to your personal circumstances, preferences and bank balance.

Personally I would go down the FI route as gaining 820 hours experience as an FI will then leave you only needing the 500 multi crew and a PC to unfreeze your ATPL. The LCCs will still be here when you finish those 820 hours so your employment posibilities wont be any worse than they are at the moment, then if worst comes to worst you can still continue instructing while you job hunt.

Flip side of the above is that in order to be an instructor (even just for PPL), you need to be able to TEACH, and being able to teach wont automatically make you a good instructor. Be ready to comit to being an instructor!

One final word of advice - LOOSE THE b:mad:y "lol"s. If you wish to make it as a professional pilot you will need to learn to convey yourself in a professional manner - coming out with "lol" in the presence of other professionals does nothing to endear you to them - save it for sending SMSs or IMs to your mates.

RIX

Rob82
6th Oct 2008, 08:27
To be honest i'd go for the FI everytime, but then i've never agreed with paying for your own type rating.

So you pay £x get a type rating then find that an airline is hiring FO's not on that type, you've wasted your money.
You get your type rating and don't manage to get a job before the type rating expires....again money wasted.

With a FI job your getting your hours up and getting some experience, i know i've learnt more flying after getting my fATPL than during it.

As for jobs as an FI i haven't researched the market, but a couple of my mates recently (after getting fATPL and not getting a job), took FI courses and are now both instructing so must be jobs out there somewhere.

Also use the search function on the top bar.....I think there was a thread like this started recently.

Good Luck

Rob

fadedfootpaths
6th Oct 2008, 11:03
Thanks Rob and Rix. Can you suggest any schools where I can get my Flight Instructor rating done in Europe?

Romeo India Xray
6th Oct 2008, 12:41
I am a bit out of the loop with schools in other parts of Euroland. Here in Latvia we have a CAA run instructor course that takes place a couple of times a year but is conducted in either Latvian or Russian, perhaps not too much use for you?

If you do a search on Pilotweb website you will find many many schools offering the FI course for the PPL in the UK. It is a fun course but you will learn more about HOW to teach than about aircraft and their operation.

I really have no idea about FI courses in other parts of Europe - sorry.

Best of luck with it, and good to see you take advice well :ok:. You will go far methinks! :)

RIX

Flying Farmer
6th Oct 2008, 12:53
Do the instructor rating in the current economic climate. A self sponsored type rating will not get you a look in at the moment with many higher houred, experienced guys floating around the employment market.

All of the guys I instructed alongside now have multicrew jobs. Doors started to open once we had in excess of 1000 hours in the logbook. :ok:

fadedfootpaths
6th Oct 2008, 14:21
Thanks for the replies guys. I now have to hunt a school to do my Instructor Rating:E

mierda
6th Oct 2008, 14:43
sent you pm