PDA

View Full Version : Re engaging automation

zeus_737
6th Oct 2008, 07:10
incase of a loss of automation on a 320 (AP/FD Athr/ Fma)

when its regained... how would u prefer reengaging automation?

electricdeathjet
6th Oct 2008, 09:01
-select a higher speed than you are doing
-select autothrust p/b, move levers to clb detent (if you are in manual thrust)
-select both f/d on
-select a/p on
-then NAV, Managed speed, and then a suitable vertical mode

Should work

zeus_737
6th Oct 2008, 13:50
I completely agree with ur opinion... couldnt have said it better myself...
but is it documented anywhere?

David1991
20th Mar 2024, 08:14
Disengagement

T thrust
A utopilot
F light Directors off

Engagement

F light directors on + modes (order)
A p
T hrust

We learned it that way. I Personally don’t like the engagement with the thrust being at the end. Hoping for some suggestions and techniques here!

JH870
20th Mar 2024, 08:24
Disengagement

T thrust
A utopilot
F light Directors off

Engagement

F light directors on + modes (order)
A p
T hrust

We learned it that way. I Personally don’t like the engagement with the thrust being at the end. Hoping for some suggestions and techniques here!

I would personally reverse the position of Thrust in both cases. Last on disengagement and first on re-engagement. FWIW.

Fursty Ferret
20th Mar 2024, 08:42
I would personally reverse the position of Thrust in both cases. Last on disengagement and first on re-engagement. FWIW.

Agreed, assuming you’ve been accurately flying the speed target,

David1991
20th Mar 2024, 11:28
Thanks!

little bit off-topic now but i guess a new threat is not needed…had a Windshear after takeoff scenario in the sim recently. Went into Alpha Floor then TOGA LK…I disconnected the Autothrust and went with manual thrust to prevent a speed bust. Had a lot of troubles though with the speed management here (retarded way too much). Easier way would have been to just re-engage Autothrust.

Would it have been enough to just put the lever into CL detent from TOGA? Or is it required to use the A/THR pb first here since I disconnected the system prior (TOGA LK)

Regards!

Checkboard
20th Mar 2024, 12:02
TOGA/LK can only be deselected by turning the A/THR off.
https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/52731/what-is-toga-lk-in-airbus-320-how-to-come-out-of-toga-lk

321XLR
20th Mar 2024, 13:53
Thanks!

little bit off-topic now but i guess a new threat is not needed…had a Windshear after takeoff scenario in the sim recently. Went into Alpha Floor then TOGA LK…I disconnected the Autothrust and went with manual thrust to prevent a speed bust. Had a lot of troubles though with the speed management here (retarded way too much). Easier way would have been to just re-engage Autothrust.

Would it have been enough to just put the lever into CL detent from TOGA? Or is it required to use the A/THR pb first here since I disconnected the system prior (TOGA LK)

Regards!

What is more important? "Speed bust" or recover from wind shear ?

David1991
21st Mar 2024, 08:55
With TOGA LK displayed I obviously was out of windshear already.

Jonty
21st Mar 2024, 09:39
With TOGA LK displayed I obviously was out of windshear already.

No.
You no longer met the conditions for Alpha Floor activation. You could quite easily have still been in windshear.
However, to get out of TOGA Lock you must disengage the auto thrust.

This has changed on newer aircraft with the introduction of A.FLOOR auto thrust mode.

CHAPARRAL
21st Mar 2024, 15:13
See FCOM DSC-22_20-90-10.
Cheers,
C.

the_stranger
21st Mar 2024, 16:39
Regarding disengagement, if done, for example, to fly an approach manual, I always first disengage thrust.
While the other way is perfectly possible, but paying slightly more attention to set the levers at the correct position and leaving the flying for a split second to the computer feels more logical.
Again, thrust last I am perfectly able to do, but I am used to this way after 10+ years Airbus.

Rocket3837
27th Mar 2024, 12:55
Hello all....
1- set required spd, Athr On, levers to CLB.
2- AP on, FD on, rengage AP/FDA modes (note that when engaging the AP you are in fact engaging both the AP & FD together but the FDs are out of view until you sw them on)....

Harry Grout
27th Mar 2024, 13:09
Thanks!

Regards!

Are you seriously telling us that you are incapable of flying an aircraft without auto thrust?

Fursty Ferret
27th Mar 2024, 19:39
Are you seriously telling us that you are incapable of flying an aircraft without auto thrust?

Some carriers forbid manual thrust. Although weirdly they’re quite happy to let you dispatch with it unserviceable… 🙄