PDA

View Full Version : Police comment fuelling poor aviation journalism?

carbon
5th Oct 2008, 23:20
In relation to the Dunk Island events, (though not an isolated case):-

Tourists shaken by plane crash - Local News - Cairns, QLD, Australia (http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2008/10/06/8831_local-news.html)Police said initial reports were that the plane suffered a loss of power during a sudden and strong headwind or there was a flaw in one of the twin engines.Those pesky "sudden and strong headwinds". Police should be trained to simply state that they have NFI about the events or circumstances, and cannot comment when approached by the media for information on aviation accidents.

Does it not concern others that a Police officer will say daft things, such as "we are unsure as to the cause of death until such time as the autopsy has been completed", when the poor murder victim has clearly been shot in the head or similar.

Yet anything aviation related, they seem more than happy shoot their un-educated mouth's off with wild speculation. Simply seems unethical and amateurish to me?

Checklist Charlie
6th Oct 2008, 01:37
What's wrong with the local plod shooting his mouth off about something he knows nothing about.

They blab on and on and on about road safety to no effect. Do they know anything about anything, not that I've seen demonstrated recently.

CC

Brian Abraham
6th Oct 2008, 02:21
What's wrong with the local plod shooting his mouth off about something he knows nothing about.Whats wrong???? He's competing with Pprune membership who write about something they know nothing about. Think about the possible loss of audience. :E

equal
6th Oct 2008, 06:35
cairns post = *!&@* anyways

ForkTailedDrKiller
6th Oct 2008, 06:39
Don't blame plod! Those of us who have regular contact with the media never cease to be amazed by how they can interview you, then write complete crap that bears no resemblance to what you said!

Dr :8

NAMPS
6th Oct 2008, 23:05
The article does say "Police said initial reports were that".

I assume that means that the Police are passing on what was reported to them. Maybe the fool (read: a person who may have professed some expert opinion but, in fact, has no idea) who "reported" this fact to police is to blame?

Howard Hughes
7th Oct 2008, 04:21
Surely Police shouldn't be passing on any information gathered as part of an investigation, until the investigation is complete!:eek:

LeadSled
7th Oct 2008, 05:00
Brian A,
Precisely!!, as the immediately following poster to you illustrates.
Tootle pip!!

carbon
7th Oct 2008, 21:10
Exactly my point HH.

How do they get away with it?