PDA

View Full Version : American MiGs

brickhistory
5th Oct 2008, 14:51
I couldn't find the 'good books' thread, so apologies for starting a new, related thread. (I'm sure this will get moved there ASAP.)

"Red Eagles: America's Secret Migs" is a great read.

Most of the story is told by the gents who flew the beasts as well as a few of the maintenance guys telling of their efforts to overcome the Soviet philosophy of 'use and discard' vs. the Western 'repair and replace.'

Sporty to make it all work to say the least.

Osprey, ISBN 978-1-84603-378-0

dakkg651
6th Oct 2008, 09:05
Thanks for the tip.

I've just ordered it.

mr fish
6th Oct 2008, 20:47
so, any updates on the oft heard tales of flankers in US hands??

fltlt
7th Oct 2008, 01:53
They are somewhat old news, at least 10 years.

West Coast
8th Oct 2008, 05:39
Happy birthday to me, just ordered it myself.

Looking for another book as well. Heard mentioned on pprune before, a book that details of the first hours and days of war with the USSR as was defined by SIOP. I believe some bomber pilots (V force or B52 guys) talked about what their specific targets were and ingress routing to it. Ring a bell with anyone?

sunshine band
8th Oct 2008, 07:05
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/mig15dm180705.jpg

I saw a couple of them when I visited DM, Arizona a few years ago. They are in "storage", just in case...;)

SB

Dunhovrin
8th Oct 2008, 09:23
Looking for another book ... that details of the first hours and days of war with the USSR as was defined by SIOP.

Me too (sorry to go off-thread). Anyone got any ideas? A search on Amazon for SIOP only found old stuff from 1983.

Also, anyone got any gen on Soviet battle plans for an invasion of WE? And I don't mean the Austria/Swiss route that's been touted here before.