PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Stuck in Safe Mode

C130 Techie
5th Oct 2008, 13:01
I have a problem with my PC. I upgraded my anti virus software to Norton Internet Security 2009. Had some problems and contacted Norton who uninstalled and reinstalled their software by remote access.

On the reboot the PC now appears to be in Safe Mode as I am unable to change any settings or uninstall any software. I have been back to norton and they were unable to fix the problem.

Can't use msconfig as it won't let me in.

Anyone got any ideas to resolve this?

green granite
5th Oct 2008, 13:52
Try

You may be unable to log on after you install Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet Security on your Windows XP-based computer (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308324/en-us)

C130 Techie
5th Oct 2008, 14:04
GG

Thanks but no joy. It will not allow me to go into the add/remove option or change any of the settings.

frostbite
5th Oct 2008, 14:28
"upgraded my anti virus software to Norton"

Not a phrase I would use.

Good luck!

BOAC
5th Oct 2008, 15:59
C130 - God bless Norton...................:mad:

The problem might just lie in the 'boot.ini' file. You'll need to find a way into DOS or use a Linux or similar boot disk to access this file, I think. Do you have an option at bootup to start in command prompt? I think the XP CDROM will help access the file too. You would need to set bios to boot first from CDROM to use that.

The file should normally look roughly like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

- where all the brackety things relate to your disk setup. Boot.ini normally
lives on the drive where you Windows XP is installed (most likely the C drive?) but could be elsewhere. The problem MAY be that Norton has screwed around with the file and may have added '/safeboot:minimal' after '/fastdetect' which will lock you in Safe mode.

Try and find a way to have a look at this file content, and if this is your case, remove the '/safeboot:minimal' and copy the file back into the original place.

C130 Techie
5th Oct 2008, 16:28
BOAC

Thanks. I have made a little progress using the Windows XP recovery disk. I now have normal settings but still have numerous problems. I had to uninstall the Norton Software to get the setting back but I still can't do a fair few things such as access the internet properly or put any sort of picture on the desktop or set up the task bars.

Am I doomed to a reformat or complete reinstall of XP?

BOAC
5th Oct 2008, 16:51
Firstly, I am interested to know if that was your problem please, OR how you sorted it otherwise?

Secondly, do we assume you are now running in 'normal' mode? What does your desktop look like (in broad terms!:)) .

Are you logging in as before as the same 'user' or have you reverted to 'administrator'?

What exactly do you mean by "access the internet properly" - how DID you do it and what happens 'now'?

Can you access msconfig and control panel?

frostbite
5th Oct 2008, 16:52
If you did the uninstall from Add/Remove Programs you will still have bits of Norton all over the Registry.

AFAIK, the only tool for total removal is available on Norton's site.

C130 Techie
5th Oct 2008, 17:10
BOAC

Sorry. I basically ran the Windows XP disk and used the repair installation option. When that was complete it allowed me to use the MSCONFIG option to set the boot to 'Normal windows mode.

From there I removed the Norton software and rebooted which then brought back the programs and drivers that were not working.

The desktop is a plain blue screen (which I can change the colour of but cannot add a picture to. It is using the Windows XP theme. Previously I was running in Windows Classic but is says it can't find that.

The Broadband connection I was using is still visible but is disconnected. There is a connection called 'Internet connection' which shows connected and will not allow me to disconnect or delete it. Once I open up the browser (IE7) it is extremely slow and times out.

I have access to both MSCONFIG and the control panel.

Logging on as same user as before which has full admin rights.

Frosty. I couldn't use the web to remove the software as it wouldn't allow me access (self preservation?)

BOAC
5th Oct 2008, 17:49
Thanks for the update - you are having fun, yes? :)

Like Frostie, I suspect ***Norton may well be at the heart of this. I do not use it, have never used it, but hear of many problems.

I would recommend running a reg cleaner programme if you have one - CCleaner perhaps, and let it delete ALL 'dead' registry entries, then try again. If you don't have such, and are feeling brave, AND IF Norton security is your only Norton product, BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY (another drive if you have one) then run RegEdit (in the Windows folders). Search for and delete ALL keys etc which come up with a 'Norton' reference under 'edit'/'find'. Reboot and try again.

Where does this "'Internet connection" show? What does Internet Explorer/Tools/Internet Options/Connections show? It should be 'Never dial a connection'.

C130 Techie
5th Oct 2008, 18:00
Can't think of many better ways to spend a wet Sunday afternoon:\

It's all good fun though. Fortunately i have the laptop on wireless so i do have comms.

The internet connection is fine apparently having just spoken with BT. The problem appears to be with the browser.

It will open onto my homepage and thats about it.

gas path
5th Oct 2008, 18:17
To add to the advice given by BOAC to clean all the crap out of the registry I would not only search for all the Norton references but also all the 'Symantec' ones.
I did the same, even after using Norton's own cleaner there was still loads of detrious left behind:mad:

BOAC
5th Oct 2008, 18:55
It will open onto my homepage and thats about it. - doesn't tell us much - that could be a stored page. Is there any clue on it as to a time or date that could be verified as 'current'? I suspect BT have told you that the 'broadband' conection into your house/router is ok - does not mean your computer connection is good. How does it connect to the router - wifi or cable?

Do you have ccleaner? If not, download it via the lappie onto a memory stick, install and run. Will save a lot of that wet Sunday for other things.:)

Let us know how you go. Might rain tomorrow.

C130 Techie
5th Oct 2008, 19:23
BOAC

The internet explorer thing is a mystery. It opens to the home page and then if you try another webpage it sits for minutes then all of a sudden it opens another browser which just sits blank.

The whole machine is running really slowly. I tried running registry mechanic and it just froze up.

Oh and as expected there are norton and symantec bits in various places.

I have decided that I will probably bite the bullet and go for the full reformat as I have every thing backed up onto the laptop anyway.

BOAC
5th Oct 2008, 19:34
Pray for wet days..................

C130 Techie
5th Oct 2008, 19:39
Cheers and thanks for the help and advice.

I am supposed to be receiving a new BT home hub in a couple of days so a fresh start may be better. We'll see.

green granite
5th Oct 2008, 20:48
I am supposed to be receiving a new BT home hub in a couple of days so a fresh start may be better.

But not as much fun though. :E

C130 Techie
6th Oct 2008, 06:41
GG

One can only take so much 'fun'.:ouch:

PC now reformatted and running fine despite the best efforts of the Norton/Symantec 'help' desk to make it otherwise.

Just got to get my money back from them now.

frostbite
6th Oct 2008, 11:49
"I couldn't use the web to remove the software as it wouldn't allow me access"

Well, that's one way of providing av protection I suppose!

BOAC
6th Oct 2008, 12:34
A word of caution on Gas Path's advice - Symantec produce other programmes (eg WinFax) so sweeping all Sy references into a bin might not be a good idea without checking to make sure..................

dazdaz
6th Oct 2008, 15:57
C130...Posted this link ages ago to remove Norton. Maybe you've tried this. It worked for other posters, good luck............
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039)

Daz
Ps. Be aware of BOAC advise. 'warning box' on the page suggests you back-up WinFax.