PDA

View Full Version : Money transfers over the net?

Hungry Pilot
17th May 2000, 23:10
Hello all. I want to sell some items on eBay from Holland to the US. I'm running out of ideas about how the money can be brought over after sale...money wire is too expensive, personal cheque takes too long, etc.

Can anyone tell me how it works with transfering money via secure credit card websites? Can you recommend one. Obviously, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I'm sure some of you do!

[This message has been edited by Hungry Pilot (edited 17 May 2000).]

Hungry Pilot
19th May 2000, 01:07
anyone?

[This message has been edited by Hungry Pilot (edited 18 May 2000).]

TBone
19th May 2000, 03:00
Ermm.. you can't, basically. Unless you set yourself up as an on-line trader with a company who will provide you with the necessary software.

In the UK you need to have been a registered company or in business for around 3 years before a bank will touch you for credit card payment facilities, but there are some companies out there (try Demon Internet in the Netherlands) who will set it all up for you without this history. You pay for it though.

Be warned - it is expensive, and the card companies take a lot of your profit (as much as 30%).

Only worth considering if you are going to be selling a lot of items.

However.....(here's my plan)...

Just as a thought...

Ebay will pay directly into a US bank account from buyers all over the world. How about setting up a US bank account and registering this with Ebay. It's very easy to do - any good accountant will talk you through the necessary steps.

You still have the problem of transferring money from a US bank to your NL bank, but this can usually be done on a next day basis at not too much cost.

Again, only worth doing if you're going to be selling a lot of goods.

I'm afraid, as you've probably guessed, Ebay is geared up for US sellers, selling to an international market. There must be somewhere you can try in the Netherlands ??

Checkboard
21st May 2000, 17:48
The PayPal (http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=index) email to email payment site (currently available only to U.S. users) will soon expand to international users.

Basically, you register a credit card with them, then specify an amount to pay to anybody with an email. That person will recieve an email telling them of the payment, and they can "download" the money inot their bank account, or recieve a chequ. Paypal deos not charge for this service, but makes its money through the interest they recive while they hold the cash in the time between the payment and the collection.

You get paid $US5 by them just for signing up (if you are a US user)!

If you send them an email at [email protected] they will notify you when the service is available for your country.

Mice
22nd May 2000, 01:13
If I am not mistaken, having just returned from the states, you need to be the holder of a social security number to open a bank account in the US (IRS requirement). As I have not tried to do this from outside continental USA, maybe someone else has more info?

------------------
When all else fails, read the manual!