PDA

View Full Version : RAM Query

dave_jones49
18th Aug 2000, 15:34
I have just installed some additional EDO Ram.
During start-up, I see "Ram installed: 2048k bytes one-cycle EDO installed."

During the memory test, I get the report: "131072k OK" (I assume that equates to 128 mb Ram?)
However, when I go into My Computer/Control Panel/System, it reports that I have only 15mb of Ram. (AOL gives me the option to check System Information and that too states that I have only 15 mb Ram - with a warning that it is insufficient.)

Can anyone please tell me (in the simplest possible terms!):
(1) Why there is the apparent discrepancy?
(2) Is my computer recognising all the memory installed?
(3) Does it mean that my system/software is not using all the available RAM?
(2) What I should do?

I also picked up the report "EDO DRAM at bank: 1 3" - there is a space between the 1 and the 3.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. http://geocities.com/r337m0nk3y/owen/dunce.gif

[This message has been edited by dave_jones49 (edited 18 August 2000).]

spannersatcx
18th Aug 2000, 17:01
1mb =1024bytes so 128 X 1024 is 131072.
Normally if you have bad RAM you get a series of beeps on start up, MOB manual tells you what they mean.
Is the memory you have put in compatable with your MOB, does it take pc 66 or pc 100 or even 133? Are you using 72 pin sims or 168 pin DIMMS if it is a SIMM then normally you have to fit them in pairs. 2x32 in banks 0and 1 2x32 in banks 2 and 3 etc.
After instaling RAM it is normally a good idea to go to your BIOS on bootup and then exit and save. What happens when you swop the memory around do you get the same results.

ExSimGuy
21st Aug 2000, 09:36
This might not be a lot of help as you have probably checked already, but look carefully at the mobo information to make sure you have the RAM in the right slots.

Good luck

------------------
Through hardship to the bars

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 21 August 2000).]

ExSimGuy
26th Aug 2000, 12:10
Did you resolve the problem? I'm back from my travels and in the office - post or email if there's any info I can give you now I'm back at my "knowledge base"

------------------

dave_jones49
26th Aug 2000, 12:25
Thanks for the enquiry.
I've just got back myself and will try the various suggestions.

dave_jones49
6th Sep 2000, 00:52
Still trying - thought I'd give it one more shot before admitting defeat and heading for the repair shop!
Unfortunately, I'm unable to answer the helpful questions raised and, to be honest, didn't understand most of them. (I know little/nothing about the actual PC operating system.)

Does the following information help:
I've tried each of the three banks of memory separately (they have to be fitted in pairs) and the computer works properly so I assume the memory I have is compatible with my system.
Results:
1 pair: Memory test on startup - 32768k OK
and CMOS shows 153604k
2 pairs: Memory test - 98304k OK and CMOS 15360k (as before)
3 pairs: Memeory test - 131072k OK and CMOS 15360k (as before)

So, although the amount of memory installed seems to show in the memory test on startup, and increases as I add each pair, the CMOS amount doesn't change at all.
My Computer/System shows 15mb each time, and doesn't change as the amount of memory instals increases.
131072k = 128mb Ram, but is my computer recognising (and, more important, using) all the memory installed?

Any ideas, guys?
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by dave_jones49 (edited 05 September 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dave_jones49 (edited 10 September 2000).]

matelot
6th Sep 2000, 11:02
If your system is detecting maximum RAM installed during the hard boot memory check, then that shows that the RAM chips are OK - using them is a slightly different matter.

When you viewed the RAM figures in controlpanel/system, was the 15MB the INSTALLED figure or FREE figure?

Although the vast majority of modern PCs auto-detect RAM, some do not, and require and entry and exit into/from BIOS. This is usually achieved (look at your handbook) by pressing del or F2 during initial boot. DO NOT alter anything in BIOS with which you are unfamiliar!

It may help if you confirm the basics of the PC you are using - Make/purchased from, clone, 486, Pentium 2/3, and RAM type e.g. PC100/133 etc. May be of use - hard disk size and amount taken up with installed apps.

Will assist further if I can.

Cheers

------------------
When I was on motor patrol...

ExSimGuy
6th Sep 2000, 12:41
Certainly sounds like the CMOS is not auto-detecting. You could try manually setting to 128Mb in the CMOS and see if it (a) bitches during the startup, and (b) what you see in Control Panel after that!

Note that there's several possibilities on how to express 128Mb (131072Kb etc)

Give it a shot and report back!

------------------

matelot
6th Sep 2000, 16:41
Absolutely right - RAM is detected in whole chunks i.e. either a chip is sound or it isn't. Don't worry about the specifics of bits/bytes/nibbles/kb/mb/gb etc.

As previously stated, 1 kb = 1024 bytes (not 1000!)and 1 mb = 1024 kb etc. Therefore 128 MB = 128 x 1024kb = 130,000 kb+. Depends how the system displays it.

------------------
When I was on motor patrol...

Dr. Red
7th Sep 2000, 14:13
I might be able to help, but I need to know more about your computer first.

Can you tell me:

*The type of bios you are using. You see this the first thing when you turn on your computer (it might be AMI, Award, Phoenix, Acer, etc...)

*Your operating system (W95 or 98)

*System info like HD size, what peripherals you have installed, the processor, etc

Then I can get back to you with posible solutions

dave_jones49
8th Sep 2000, 02:30
Thanks for your efforts guys.
Award Modular Bios V.1.4.51PG
Award Software Inc (Now apparently part of Phoenix)
Aug 21 1996 Rev.1.11
Pentium-S CPU at 200 MHz
Chipset: Intel Triton 430HX rev 3

When I go into Setup (by pressing the Del key) the details under the "Standard CMOS Setup" in the menu shows:
Base Memory 640K
Extended Memory 14336K
Other Memory 384K
Total: 15360K

Operating System: Windows 95
I don't know the speed of either the original memory, or the memory I bought in the States.
The computer is a clone.

[This message has been edited by dave_jones49 (edited 07 September 2000).]

Dr. Red
8th Sep 2000, 19:14
That's all good - because your BIOS is of a standardised type supposed to autodetect memory - and it's obvious the memory isn't being detected by the BIOS.

However, the POST does give some indication the memory installed is OK. So, I think the memory is probably fine, it's just not being detected.

To answer your initial questions:
a)The discrepancy is (probably) due to the bios.

b)Your computer is not recognising your valuable memory!

c)Only the 15MB is available to your programs currently.

d)What should you do? Read on...

Your BIOS version is fairly outdated, and there are compatibility issues with Award BIOS’s dated prior to 10/28/98. So you might need a "flash" upgrade for it to detect the memory... The Asus BP6 had a similar problem a while ago, which was fixed with a BIOS update.

What I would recommend first is for you to do is to thoroughly look around your BIOS setup (press DEL or ESC during startup) and look for any settings referring to "OS2 / Non-OS2 Mode". If this setting exists (I actually doubt it), then set it to Non-OS2 and see what difference it makes. (If you aren't confident going into the bios, I would skip this step)

Next, I would look at getting a BIOS upgrade. You have to be careful doing this. I would recommend first downloading the BIOS WIZARD from the Award Software site: http://www.unicore.com/bioswiz/bwz.exe

Once that's done, I can tell you what you need to do next...

------------------
There's nothing like an airport for bringing you down to earth.

[This message has been edited by Dr. Red (edited 08 September 2000).]

dave_jones49
10th Sep 2000, 23:45
Thanks, Doc.
BIOS was set to non-OS/2
I've run the Unicore BIOS Wizard which produced the following:

BIOS Date: 08/21/96
BIOS Type: Award Modular Bios v.4.51PG
BIOS ID: 08/21/96-i430HX-2A59FG0BC-00
BIOS Eval: Aug 21, 1996 REV.1.11
Chipset: Intel riton 430HX rev 3
Super I/O: Intel 82091AA rev 160 found at port 24h
Super I/O: Winbond 877F (use87h) rev 0 at port 3F0h

As you've obviously realised, this means absolutely nothing to me!

Dr. Red
11th Sep 2000, 20:05
Ok, that all looks good...
Give me a while to think about it... cheers

[This message has been edited by Dr. Red (edited 11 September 2000).]

Dr. Red
20th Sep 2000, 16:37
Sorry I've taken so long... it looks like you need to get a new BIOS. I am 90% sure that this will solve your problems. Perhaps you should talk to your computer dealer.

To order a new BIOS very cheaply, go to http://www.unicore.com/

Hope I have helped...
Dr Red