PDA

View Full Version : MCDU

zeus_737
5th Oct 2008, 07:11
Wanted to know...
i fly the 20s... in india... where the TL is given by the atc
and i had an argument with a senior fo when he inserted the transition level in place of the transition altitude.. in the app phase of perf...
his call was.. it reminds u when to set the qnh... incase u forget to monitor the tl going by...
my argument was.. firstly if AIRBUS wanted it.. they'd change it themselves
secondly..
my personal opinion is that the trans alt on the appch phase is imp for the go around.. rather than the apch itself..and there is a chance u might forget to change it in a high stress phase i.e. go around...
i wanna know if i'm being pedantic an jus plain painful or u think this is a valid point...

FlightDetent
5th Oct 2008, 08:31
Your point is valid and that is why the trans ALT had been designed for the approach page in the first place.

Now, by an one Airbus TRE it had been suggested to me :} that this function is best utilized in another way - as a transition LEVEL reminder. The logic is that should you forget to reset altimeters after GA, you create a level bust. The very same applies for not changing to QNH/QFE. But, how many GAs you experience per year as opposed to how many approaches you execute?

Yet I do not do it, because my Airbus teaching leads me to believe that it is best to use the features the way they had been designed. On some occasions, I decide to apply the above stated reasoning and use it for reminder. Once it did help.

FD (the un-real)

bflyer
5th Oct 2008, 10:02
Hi

In my company, this feature is used as a transition level reminder..since in a high workload approach , it is easy to forget the changeover to qnh
and most of our operational areas use a TL of F150 and a T alt of 13000' and all GA altitudes are well below both altitudes