PDA

View Full Version : Obsolete technology

Lon More
4th Oct 2008, 11:14
Strange how fast technology becomes outdate these days; and is the Pound so strong against the Euro?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Badyin/ScreenShot069.jpg

tony draper
4th Oct 2008, 11:24
The device was a complete waste of money anyway,one's own calculations have shown that Large Hadrons cannot exist in nature only ordinary common Small Hadrons are to be had,and a phone call to any scrap yard would show them to be hardly worth the effort of collection.
:)

Rainboe
4th Oct 2008, 11:32
Just as well it's buyer collects! I could have created the same thing at a local scrap yard swinging scrap washing machines together at high speed for approximately one ten zillionth of the cost of this white elephant. They allowed this small world sort of science a free rein whilst the really exciting developments in large world astronomy are being held back just as our science is wildly opening up a window into the deep universe and telescopes reach near perfection. It's sucked up the budget something horrible. Mankind should be looking to colonise the Moon and Mars and reach out, not navel gaze with this white elephant. When this thing solves nothing except produce more conundrums, the reaction against 'expensive' science will have severe fallout on all other science budgets. It's a cursed, useless thing. Any ideas what to use a 13 mile diameter magnetic ring for?

Golden Ticket
4th Oct 2008, 11:43
What we could do is put a little cart inside for people to sit in. Now that Alton Towers is scrapping the Corkscrew the folks in Staffordshire will be looking for a new ride.;)

Storminnorm
4th Oct 2008, 13:45
The problem is that the ffrench bit keeps breaking down,
causing the ride to keep grinding to a halt!

As for the Moon and Mars, I would have thought that a
strategically placed system of LADDERS would suffice.

Mind you, you would have to jump pretty damn quick
as they ZIPPED past!

Rainboe
4th Oct 2008, 14:26
Look at the window we now have to view the universe, and even imaging planets around other stars is almost upon us. Satellites produce breathtaking images of other worlds month by month now. And we have sunk so much into this monstrosity the UK was recently close to cutting funding for telescopes! I'll tell you how those scientists managed to gobble-up SO much money. They used the expression 'God particle!', and how close we were to 'discovering' it. It suckered the decision makers. What they have done is go one stage further in trying to unravel the mystery of the atom. What's the betting we will be saying in a year's time 'was that it then?' In doing so, they have starved important funding for far more important science.

Storminnorm
4th Oct 2008, 14:29
Far more important science?

Such as?

Something like Concorde I suppose?

mr fish
4th Oct 2008, 14:29
SCIENTISTS, people who know rather a lot about f:mad:k all !!!!:ok:

G-CPTN
4th Oct 2008, 14:30
If you can look back in time using ever-more powerful telescopes, how long before they can see beyond the Big Bang?
Will that then reveal 'the future'?

Storminnorm
4th Oct 2008, 15:13
WHATEVER happened to Barnes Wallace's design
for the HOTOL aircraft to get the Aussies back home
in about 45 minutes?
Now THAT would be worth investing in!!!:D
Let 'em fekin commute! :ok:

G-CPTN
4th Oct 2008, 15:38
The HOTOL technology was 'bought up' by the men in dark glasses and 'classified' then sat on (they didn't want anyone else to get hold of it).

Edited to add:- RB545 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RB545)
and:- Reaction Engines SABRE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABRE)

Alan Bond (formerly of the Blue Streak missile project) created a LACE-like design he called SATAN. The primary difference of these systems is that the air is only cooled, rather than liquified, and thus the gases are not actually separated, apparently giving significantly greater overall performance, due to a reduction in the amount of hydrogen used for cooling.
At the same time, John Scott and Bob Parkinson at British Aerospace had started some preliminary work on reusable launch systems. The two teams met and created HOTOL, which would use the BAe designed airframe with a Rolls Royce version of Bond's engine, known as the RB545.
The principal designers then left to continue development on their own, but the RB545 had been classified top secret and could not be used. Instead Bond developed another version that is more advanced, known as SABRE (ostensibly for Synergic Air BReathing Engine) which is meant for their Skylon design. Funding has not been terribly forthcoming (surprising, considering the design's potential to power an SSTO craft) and development continues at a relatively low level; papers and laboratory work are ongoing. A study of an aircraft powered by a SABRE class engine is underway under LAPCAT partially funded by the EU looking towards hypersonic intercontinental travel (Brussels to Sydney in 2-4 hours non stop).

VnV2178B
4th Oct 2008, 16:42
I agree with Mr. D, it is awaste of money. If you are looking for the Higg's Field anyone with an A-Z of the black country knows it's in Cradley, just down the road from the Waterfall pub!.

VnV

Gertrude the Wombat
4th Oct 2008, 19:43
As for the Moon and Mars, I would have thought that a strategically placed system of LADDERS would suffice.
Hardly a new idea, people have been working on space elevators for decades. But nobody has managed to actually build one yet.

Crosshair
4th Oct 2008, 19:49
Any ideas what to use a 13 mile diameter magnetic ring for?

There was a proposal (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B03E3DE1F3CF934A15750C0A962958260) to use the tunnels of the Superconducting Super Collider (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_supercollider) for growing mushrooms.

Lon More
4th Oct 2008, 19:49
Arthur C. Clarke was the first to postulate it IIRC and wrote a novel around it

tony draper
4th Oct 2008, 20:29
Yer read that book,cant recall the title now summat about fountains and paradise I think,said book will be in bookshelf in tother room but one cant be arsed to get of me arse and seek it out,anyway what I was about to say was one seems to recall Mr Clarke acknowledged,it were some Russian bloke that came up with the idea originally.
No doubt it would work but we haven't figured out how to make a piece of string 25,000 miles long yet.
:)

chiglet
4th Oct 2008, 20:39
"Fountains of Paradise" was the title of ACCs book, but twer another author published a couple of months earliet, can't remember the name, but with a slightly different slant. ACC, does acknowledge it in his notes. :ok:

arcniz
4th Oct 2008, 20:54
Rainboe says:
Any ideas what to use a 13 mile diameter magnetic ring for?

One might use it to gain the favours of a really large hippie chick with some astronomical knockers.

Gaia's free-spirited sis, mayhap? One hears she has a truly impressive b**k h**e or two.

(If you keep temptingly dangling your prepositions in public like that, you might just catch her aye.)

tony draper
4th Oct 2008, 20:57
One preferred ACC's earlier works,A Fall of Moon Dust ect his later stuff was always to optimistic,ie the Aliens when they land are always good guy who will help mankind and such, personally one thinks that's a load of shite IMHO,one is of the other school of thought re aliens and suspects they will happily lay eggs in yer chest whilst eating yer face.
:(

El Grifo
5th Oct 2008, 08:58
Yer read that book,cant recall the title now summat about fountains and paradise

Had me shoogilin for a minute there Drapesy.

Thought for a mo that were doin a Salmand Rushdie :suspect:

Last thing a Geordie or a Makem needs is the wrath of god ringin round his lugs :suspect:

tony draper
5th Oct 2008, 09:27
Makums? surely not, they are a godless people.:rolleyes:

CATIII-NDB
5th Oct 2008, 14:38
Higgs field in Cradley ? Humm Is that the one by the old chain Factory that you can see from the Train as it comes down the Left Hand Curve on the way to Lye (End of the World). I thought Higgs field was nearer to Tat Bank Oldbury - We are well traveled in the West Midlands - Noaw eer this - I wance went nearly as far as Kinver on the Buzz. Too much lamp oil - that goes down a treat ! - Hail to the Lamp. Dudley.(if its still there)

CAT III

PS I'm no Weakly interacting massive particle, but I do miss my pint of lamp oil.

Roger Sofarover
5th Oct 2008, 16:22
Has anyone noticed a whole batch of posts has been deleted? Why so, when so much garbage is left up here?

I think we have upset the Hadrons!

ChristiaanJ
5th Oct 2008, 16:59
Wouldn't Higg's bosun be sittin' on the dock of the bay ?

tony draper
5th Oct 2008, 17:08
Once in Mombassa harbour one had to flee for one's life from a Hartlepool Bosun,when one pointed to a distant tree whereupon many Monkeys were desporting themselves and suggested French Spys were plentiful in Kenya.
:uhoh:
One hid in the funnel.

G-CPTN
5th Oct 2008, 18:04
Out of interest, what were the duties of the bosun on a ship (apart from tootling on a pipe)?

Roger Sofarover
5th Oct 2008, 18:10
Out of interest, what were the duties of the bosun on a ship (apart from tootling on a pipe)?

Press Gang!!!

There was Drapes in his first Job, pulling pints in a Hartlepool pub, and wham! next thing he knows he is in the south China seas, wi a scrubbing brush tied to each hand, being told to swab the decks.Drapes hiding down the funnel sounds a bit like the modern equivalent of Jim in Treasure island:}

tony draper
5th Oct 2008, 18:27
The Bosuns job in my day on Cargo Ships and Tankers was more or less a Forman reporting to the First Mate,ie he ran the deck crew in general,ie he laid about him wi a ropes end or split skulls when necessary wi a belaying pin.
Oddly enougj the bosun was not the Chief Petty Officer on a Merchant Ship that honour belonged to the Cook,as a ships cook had to have a ticket a Bosun did not.:)